Yellowstone

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

filip629

Super Freak
Reaction score
I couldn't find an existing thread for this show. If I missed it, mods please just merge the threads.

Anyway, I'm finding this show to be a guilty pleasure. Quite a bit of drama in it for a show about ranching. Kostner is fabulous in his role. I was very surprised to hear it's the second highest rated cable show right behind the Walking Dead. Anyone else here watching this?

I finished watching the finale today, it's a really good show albeit melodramatic and packed well past full of story. The stuff that happens to Kayce Dutton in the first season alone could fill four seasons of a regular TV show.
It is very well cast, written, shot, acted, and edited; they just need to pull back a little for season two.

And holly sh-t that Kelly Reilly is HOT.
:eek

I finished watching the finale today, it's a really good show albeit melodramatic and packed well past full of story. The stuff that happens to Kayce Dutton in the first season alone could fill four seasons of a regular TV show.
It is very well cast, written, shot, acted, and edited; they just need to pull back a little for season two.

And holly sh-t that Kelly Reilly is HOT.
:eek

No doubt the show is packed with melodrama. Also, the entire family is miserable. There's just not one person in the Dutton family that is happy or a well balanced human being. Kelly Reilly's character is a full blown nutcase. She definitely has no problem putting her body to use in the show. It'll be interesting to see if they do slow the show down a bit in season 2.

Finished my binge of this show tonight.

I felt like it ended abruptly. Seemed more like a mid-season finale or something. I didn't really feel like any characters had a complete arc. Felt like it put all the pieces on the table then knocked them all over. I guess that's what a cliffhanger is when it's a slow burn.

I never watched Yellowstone, and only realised this morning that 1883 was a prequel to it. So I'll get around to watching the original series soon.

Really enjoying 1883. Great cinematography and a feeling of authenticity. Elsa's poetic monologue is reminiscent of the narrations that often accompany American documentaries of the old west.

It also feels apocalyptic. Travelling through a savage pre-civilised land, as opposed to a post-civilised one, with danger and death at every turn. The first four minutes of the series got my interest.

There's also a Once Upon a Time in the West style subtext. Sam Elliott's character remarks in the second episode that he wants to see the destination before it's ruined by civilisation, which is another kind of apocalypse for the wild land of adventure.

Just got to the end of Yellowstone.

Thought it was pretty amazing from start to finish. Great acting, great scenery and majestic music.

There is an overwhelming sense of melodrama, and a boldness to the story. Yet sprinkled throughout there are some scenes and lines that really stood out quite powerfully.

I see now why I got the apocalyptic feeling from the first episode of 1883. The story of the Yellowstone Dutton Ranch was one of resisting what seemed like the inevitable apocalypse of encroaching civilization.

In the final episode John Dutton even wondered if the present civilization itself would survive another hundred years.

Just got to the end of Yellowstone.

Thought it was pretty amazing from start to finish. Great acting, great scenery and majestic music.

There is an overwhelming sense of melodrama, and a boldness to the story. Yet sprinkled throughout there are some scenes and lines that really stood out quite powerfully.

I see now why I got the apocalyptic feeling from the first episode of 1883. The story of the Yellowstone Dutton Ranch was one of resisting what seemed like the inevitable apocalypse of encroaching civilization.

In the final episode John Dutton even wondered if the present civilization itself would survive another hundred years.

Yellowstone isn't finished. Season 5 is expected to start filming in May.

Yeah, I'm pleasantly surprised with how successful this show has been. Certainly I enjoy the show, but the fact that it's spawned two spin-offs (6666, based on the Texas ranch featured in Season 4, coming "soon") is incredible. I don't hear much chatter about it in the news, so I just always assumed that it was doing just enough to survive.

It's always funny to me, I remember watching Sons of Anarchy, and Taylor Sheridan (creator of Yellowstone), first appeared as the deputy in Season 1, and ended up leaving in Season 3. I was surprised by the departure and read more about it. Kurt Sutter (creator of Sons of Anarchy) said that Sheridan wanted to leave, because he wanted to be a writer. At the time, I was like "Good luck with that buddy, you just asked to leave one of the most popular shows on cable." A few years later, Sicario comes out, and it was an amazing film, I looked up more info, Sheridan wrote the movie. So, I was like "Hmm, I guess he knew what he was doing" :lol

Since then, and his run with Hell or High Water and Wind River, I've come to understand that he's really, really good, and I'll watch anything he does. It's interesting though, when you see all his films and TV shows, you can really understand what interests him and I appreciate him shining a light on topics that aren't usually thought of as interesting entertainment. There was a comment he had, and I'm paraphrasing here but his intent was to shine a light on the 'forgotten America' or something like that.

Yeah, I'm pleasantly surprised with how successful this show has been. Certainly I enjoy the show, but the fact that it's spawned two spin-offs (6666, based on the Texas ranch featured in Season 4, coming "soon") is incredible. I don't hear much chatter about it in the news, so I just always assumed that it was doing just enough to survive.

I liked the first two episodes of 1883, but put the series on pause until it's complete. I thought it'd be better to go and watch Yellowstone first. Funny thing with the latter, for most of it I was under the impression that it wasn't filmed in Montana - but I was getting confused with Longmire which was filmed in New Mexico.

Realising the authenticity of most of the locations for Yellowstone made it even better.

Didn't know about 6666 either, but will watch that one too.

It's always funny to me, I remember watching Sons of Anarchy, and Taylor Sheridan (creator of Yellowstone), first appeared as the deputy in Season 1, and ended up leaving in Season 3. I was surprised by the departure and read more about it. Kurt Sutter (creator of Sons of Anarchy) said that Sheridan wanted to leave, because he wanted to be a writer. At the time, I was like "Good luck with that buddy, you just asked to leave one of the most popular shows on cable." A few years later, Sicario comes out, and it was an amazing film, I looked up more info, Sheridan wrote the movie. So, I was like "Hmm, I guess he knew what he was doing" :lol

Since then, and his run with Hell or High Water and Wind River, I've come to understand that he's really, really good, and I'll watch anything he does. It's interesting though, when you see all his films and TV shows, you can really understand what interests him and I appreciate him shining a light on topics that aren't usually thought of as interesting entertainment. There was a comment he had, and I'm paraphrasing here but his intent was to shine a light on the 'forgotten America' or something like that.

I've put Hell or High Water and Wind River on my watch list.

Been doing a lot of catching up lately on series I neglected when they aired (what with Yellowstone and Justified).

My current re-watch of Longmire reminded me of the Tom Selleck Jesse Stone movies. I've earmarked those for a re-watch too, as they had an unusual quality of calmness that reminded me of Walt Longmire's quiet, contemplative character.

If you haven’t seen Hell or High Water, it is one of the best films I have seen. The simplicity is amazing! Wind River was great too, but Hell or High Water is a must see.

If you haven’t seen Hell or High Water, it is one of the best films I have seen. The simplicity is amazing! Wind River was great too, but Hell or High Water is a must see.

I'm watching it now. The dialogue is really good, and there's great use of the huge open country.

I've read conflicting reports on the future of 1883. Variety is reporting that there will be more episodes, and there's another spin-off, 1932, which "will follow a new generation of Duttons during the time of Western expansion, Prohibition and the Great Depression."

But other articles says Taylor Sheridan has told the story he wants to tell. So, who knows what's next?

1883 started well then dropped off.

Four episodes in and 1923 is shaping up to be good.

I'd been putting it off because of the time period. For me it's in an historical dead zone that doesn't grab me, between the wild west era and the 'golden age' of the 1930s.

Yet they've managed to incorpate the earlier era and make good use of the lawless wilderness. Usually when westerns have cars in them it signifies the death of the old world, but 1923 bridges both worlds. It helps knowing that the story continues in Yellowstone, which is still very much rooted in the 'wild west'.

Back