XM Studios Thanos

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im still trying to figure out where I was counting Sideshow out lol. I said people are saying the XM modern paint apps are on par with grails like Gambit. I agree with this but my point is that grails arent necessarily the best made statue. Alot of time theres a covet factor involved. My point was saying trying to defend a modern XM statue paint apps as good as a 6 year old statue, regardless of grail status isnt a good comparison. Its like saying "Hey my 2016 Ford Mustang Power steering is just as good but not better the grail 92 Camaro SS."

I am an American, yes. I see the other regional niches. And I also see alot of them recently becoming American products by expanding themselves by joining US distribution to save the US buyer thus increasing overall profits. Then I see XM. Creating product for their niche but also making it harder and harder for their own niche to PO statues before they get sold at increasingly larger price in the aftermarket. Want Venom? Gotta be at this con. Damn best sculpt ever? You bet. And for the Illuminati membership of the 1% of statue collectors you can!

Decent but not breathtaking paint apps and that type of business model does not a great business strategy make for long term sustainability. Other companies are still young but on the rise.

And Hot Toys are getting in on the 1/4 scale market. The Mark 43 is a good start.

Super late answer I know but I had a hell of a weekend lol.
Your comparison of paint apps is not really apples to apples with the cars comparison. Paint techniques and the possibility of replicate them on mass production isn't exactly the same thing of engineering of mechanical pieces. There are paint apps that are now nearly impossible to achieve - chrome plating is one of them. Ten years ago the hobby was smaller, the factories were easier to keep in check and prices were more reasonable, companies could chrome plate statues with some difficulties, but it was possible. Right now, companies pretty much refuse to even try straight away.

Consider then, that when Iron Studio and Prime1 enter the US market, they're paying a distribution fee to Sideshow. So yes, increased profits, but to a certain degree. The other aspect is that there are people out there who enjoy the exclusivity part of the hobby, the one for which you need in the 1% Illuminati circle lol, loved that part. If it's sustainable on the long period, I'll tell you... I think it all comes down to character selection and final rendition. As long as you do a character popular enough, kill the sculpt and the paint apps, you'll be fine as a company.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not crazy either about convention exclusive on statues that are already (a) expensive on their own and (b) hard to secure without being super exclusive.

PS congrats Chris, it's outstanding, I read it was sculpted by Thiago, but who painted it?

Thank you! :)

That is a gorgeous custom head! You can't go wrong in the hands of Thiago and James. :clap

Exactly. :)

Nice custom head!

Thanks! :)

That face just looks mean lol. Congrats, I think it looks great.

He looks awesome. :) Expression is very good.

Now that's how y ou take fotos

Hehe, thank you. :)

That looks fantastic Chris.

Thanks, buddy!

PS congrats Chris, it's outstanding, I read it was sculpted by Thiago, but who painted it?

Thank you! It was painted by James Tce.

Very nice.

Thanks! :)

Very nice custom head. :clap

Thank you. :)

Great review! Glad you touched on the head size since I saw someone say it was too small. Sure would have been something if XM would have originally created Thanos the same color/texture as that portrait.

Got mine this week. I like Thanos even more for this.

IMG_4730.JPG

Just got a email notice letting my know that my custom avengers theme base should be delivered some time today! Pretty excited for it.

Also having a custom head being delivered some time next month too

2v1uetv.jpg

Last edited:
Make sure to post some pictures, izeroi. Mine is still going through customs, so who knows when I'll have it.

Back