[XM Studios] Phoenix

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Light up with translucent material look good. Saw someone DIY the Arthas base and the ice lights up. very very nice

I'm not completely sold on the translucent phoenix....

Could be something that makes or breaks this statue. Could look amazing could look cheap

So the statue itself was molded out of a 3D Printer Machine, then they make a cast out of it for production? Almost similar process to plastic toys?
SSC also uses the same method?

Correct. Digital printing is pretty much the norm now a days. There's a handful of artists that still sculpt traditional. Actually alot of them do but whether digital or traditional the prototype is used to make a master mold and from that mold is your mass produced resin statue. They use the same method for alot of today's medical equipment. Like artificial body parts. They can scan and duplicate these. Haha crazy when you think that we use the same technology for our statues

Yes this is true. Not all the time but they do make modifications at times to the digital print.

3D printing is still in it's infancy...it's amazing but the results aren't always good. Often you lose a lot of detail and the prints can be messy. I think artists block in basic forms and shapes in 3D, print it, clean and sand it down, and then sculpt in the smaller details so that the final mold has nice crisp details.

3D printing is still in it's infancy...it's amazing but the results aren't always good. Often you lose a lot of detail and the prints can be messy. I think artists block in basic forms and shapes in 3D, print it, clean and sand it down, and then sculpt in the smaller details so that the final mold has nice crisp details.

That's not necessarily true though. You can buy a 3D printer for about 60k. You can spend upwards of a half million or more as well. Depends on how recent the model is and the specs. There are HD printers there that can hit every single detail you see in Zbrush. However you are very accurate in your statement that not every cast comes out exactly the same. Sometimes these companies produce two different protos and pick the better one to be th e proto. To say digital printing is in its infancy isn't 100% accurate. It's been around for quite some time now. Just not at affordable printing prices like we are starting to see now. My cousin owns a 3D Printer that his company uses mainly for medical printing purposes. It's also one of the nice and more expensive recent models. I'm not a know it all by any means but I know enough to be dangerous

They have smaller 3D printers now for like 5-10k. Saw one at SDCC.

Yep there's actually one you can order from Spain I think for 3k right now. The technology is getting cheaper but that type of printer isn't used by the big dogs. Theyre paying anywhere from 4 to 6k just for the one printed proto. Expensive stuff

I'm not completely sold on the translucent phoenix....

Could be something that makes or breaks this statue. Could look amazing could look cheap

True... Have you seen the Arthas when it's lighted up... Beautiful

I don't like the idea of a translucent phoenix. IMHO it cheapens the statue, the idea I have its that it makes tye statue feel less like an "artistic sculputure" and more like an expensive toy. More so if the rest if the line doesn't have a light up feature. That's more or less the reason I don't like mixed media on my statues, fully sculpted for me.

Either way phonix was an instant PO since the first time I saw the digital file months ago, and I trust XM will give us the best statue they can give....just nervous about the translucent phoenix,I loved the color they used for the fire.

Yeah I thought the sculpted fire looked great. Usually plastic cheapens the look. One instance I can think of where it looked well was the fathom kiani statue lava edition. That has a cool lighting scheme as well that looked like moving lava. I might post a pic later

Back