[XM Studios] Phoenix

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't wont a redo of the statue I just want more small details added to the statue to try and add a little bit more realism (as much as you can for a comic book character)..... As for the head, I think the symbol being so high up on her chest is also contributing to it, the top of the logo ends on her neck... once it gets lowered I think that will help...

Yeah, but when people don't like it...and there will be people that don't, you will be tarred and feathered...just sayin'.

Jajajaja... I always read about these statues cost $1k. And you are right... except for one thing... THEY DON'T. The money you have to pay it's around that, but they only cost about $650-$680. The balance is just shipping, which is the standar for non-US residents (like me and many collectors around the world) have to pay for a big SSC statue like Apocalypse or Gladiator Hulk. In this case XM is offering great dinamic statues (not just a guy/girl standing in a plane base) with great QC and low ES for an extra $200. So stop complaining about the price or at least if you do, be accurate. You don't see any europeans or australians or south americans shouting about it. Just americans.
Welcome to the global reality! ;)

:goodpost:

Not to make it any more, but the comparison of prices are pretty bad. International collectors are referring to SS statues. Okay, I have seen postings that the average person spends 380 on a piece and will end up dropping 600 with shipping, customs, and all. Now let's drop maybe GH, that would probably come closer to 800 maybe 850. The average US collector will drop 800-1000 on an XM pieces.
First, you shouln't talk about things you don't know. GH with shipping and customs is exactly $1K to my country. And is about the same amount that I'll have to pay for XM Magneto. For americans, GH is about $580 within US.

So that's a terrible reasons. The only thing that an int. collector can say is that have been doing it longer. Can't be said they spend more than what Americans will drop. Just saying.

C'mon man. How can you say that? Do the math. We pay around $650 for a statue listed at SSC website with a retail price of $400. And we pay around $900 for a $500 statue. So, the conclusions are:
1.- We are ******
2.- We are willing to drop more in a statue.
3.- For the same money, international collectors get the around 2/3 of the statues that americans get. Yet, the collection of many int. collector is as big as an american one.

Having a statue that looks like painted skin is cheap looking IMO, weather it's folds here and there or something else to make it look more like a costume then some playboy bunny being painted with green paint.... If you want the spray on look then buy Bowen, with this costing almost $1k we should be given something with a bit more depth to the costume then painted skin. I thought the way SS did Batgirl was perfect with her outfit..

100% agree with this.

I'm inclined to agree myself. I do think she looks fantastic, but when you place her next to Magneto or next to Ms. Marvel she does seem to fall a little short when it comes to the little things. And as little as they may be, they all add up. Enough to make her a pass? Not even close. It's not that I think she looks bad or anything (not remotely), it's that she could look even better.

Yup, I think a few ripples/folds along the costume go quite a long way to show that it is indeed an outfit she is wearing and not just body paint. There are some on this piece, but I think a few more wouldn't hurt and would help define it a bit more....make a it bit more realistic if you will. As was said, the way sideshow did Batgirl was absolutely perfect.

You can't talk about the overall appearance and detail of this statue when we haven't seen 50% of it painted. Talk about Jean herself, sure, but the statue as a whole hasn't been revealed yet as a painted prototype.

I think we're only talking about Jean here and what's been shown painted, yea. :dunno

It needs some more creases/folds. Just look at their Black Widow statue for comparison and you can see the differences. It actually looks like clothing on Black Widow.

Should the flame's refection be also incorporated on jean grey? Otherwise the phoenix will be only depicted as a painted monument.

I think we're only talking about Jean here and what's been shown painted, yea. :dunno

It needs some more creases/folds. Just look at their Black Widow statue for comparison and you can see the differences. It actually looks like clothing on Black Widow.

One would think but when comments start getting made about the overall simplicity of the piece, it's an unfair assessment to judge it without taking the whole into consideration.

Ah like a orange/redish color glow on her back... hmmm that would look cool....
You never know man. The phoenix is supposedly being made with some sort of clear resin, maybe a light up feature IS being worked on :dunno

Sent from the Cockpit of the Millenium Falcon

One would think but when comments start getting made about the overall simplicity of the piece, it's an unfair assessment to judge it without taking the whole into consideration.

I don't think anyone was talking about the statue as a whole as we've haven't see it painted with the bird yet, were just talking about her outfit being to simple and that it needs some wrinkles and folds to add a bit of realism to the outfit....

Fair enough. A fold here or there wouldn't hurt it but I also am more of the mindset that these are comic representations and should steer more towards that than realism. Captain America looks perfect but if I start thinking about him in terms of realism, his suit also looks to perfect, but as a comic portrayal, it': perfect.

Are the XM statues 3D printed, not hand sculpted?

Yes they have all been done on Zbrush with the exception of the original Thor which was made traditionally by Tony Cipriano. That one is now being redone digitally by Erick Sosa. It's not a bash against Tonys work though. He's one of the best out there. I think he had too much going on when he did their Thor

I prefer not to have the fire painted onto her backside. Sounds cool but in practice might not look that good. Im thinking of the SS Sauron PF I got. Didn't like the effect in person at all.

Fair enough. A fold here or there wouldn't hurt it but I also am more of the mindset that these are comic representations and should steer more towards that than realism. Captain America looks perfect but if I start thinking about him in terms of realism, his suit also looks to perfect, but as a comic portrayal, it': perfect.

I figure there would be two camps, one that wants a bowen style and the other camp that wants a more realistic approach... Given XM's other statues such as Wolverine, Magneto, Hawkeye and others are going the more realistic way, my personal preference is to continue that approach with Phoenix also... adding a simple texture to her outfit would of been another way to go to give it a more realistic look...

Gotta be careful with flame paint effects, I personally like the below pic but others hate it...

IMG_6728_zps058a0cf5.jpg

I prefer not to have the fire painted onto her backside. Sounds cool but in practice might not look that good. Im thinking of the SS Sauron PF I got. Didn't like the effect in person at all.

Kind of like Mythos Darth Vader but hopefully XM could do it like 10x's better :) Anyways that's more of an off the wall suggestion as it's not a make or break list item...

Yes they have all been done on Zbrush with the exception of the original Thor which was made traditionally by Tony Cipriano. That one is now being redone digitally by Erick Sosa. It's not a bash against Tonys work though. He's one of the best out there. I think he had too much going on when he did their Thor

So the statue itself was molded out of a 3D Printer Machine, then they make a cast out of it for production? Almost similar process to plastic toys?
SSC also uses the same method?

Back