XM Studios Comic Thor

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too excited about this, Thor is one of my favorite character. I have the Bowen classic and modern Thor and I thought to myself both are enough for me but when I saw this, I need to have it :). Now need to find someone to help me get a copy. Hope it's not sold out yet even though it's not yet officially available for pre order.

Great headsculpt ... Can't wait for it to be painted and done with.

My last request for this statue is a swap out left arm that is just holding the hammer down by his side to go with the closed right fist.

You event have to ask for that one .. is actually and naturally happen mate.

Don't know why, but I have a hard time enjoying it... I don't find it up to par with say Mags, Wolvie, Thanos, Phoenix or Hawkeye, it looks too "generic" to me, it do'esn't have the wow effect of the others.
Congratulations to those that will PO it, gonna be a pass for me.

Don't know why, but I have a hard time enjoying it... I don't find it up to par with say Mags, Wolvie, Thanos, Phoenix or Hawkeye, it looks too "generic" to me, it do'esn't have the wow effect of the others.
Congratulations to those that will PO it, gonna be a pass for me.

Try to explain, why you PO Phoenix from SS? Then we can talk about thor. :rotfl

Yup! He's looking really good!

Now I just need to see a full pic ...head-to-toe.

He he. I'm actually waiting for an XM Dark Phoenix version before spending 1k$ on an XM Phoenix statue. Meanwhile, I'm going for the Jim Lee Jean Grey to go with my SS Jim Lee X men. Even though XM Phoenix is a much better looking statue than the SS Jean Grey (well, to me it is), SS Jean Grey will cost 460$.
As I said, if it was a Dark Phoenix version, I'd put the extra 540$ to get the XM version instead of the cheaper SS one. The statue really has to be a must have to me, just like Magneto on throne. And that's why I didn't PO XM Yellow Wolverine... I'd rather wait for the XM Brown version which I'll gladly pay 1k$ for (and sell my SS PF Wolvie).

Anyway, back on topic : I prefer the Thor in those pictures

5aduvabe.jpg

jy2enyse.jpg

than the Sosa one we're seing Zbrush screenshots of.

He he. I'm actually waiting for an XM Dark Phoenix version before spending 1k$ on an XM Phoenix statue. Meanwhile, I'm going for the Jim Lee Jean Grey to go with my SS Jim Lee X men. Even though XM Phoenix is a much better looking statue than the SS Jean Grey (well, to me it is), SS Jean Grey will cost 460$.
As I said, if it was a Dark Phoenix version, I'd put the extra 540$ to get the XM version instead of the cheaper SS one. The statue really has to be a must have to me, just like Magneto on throne. And that's why I didn't PO XM Yellow Wolverine... I'd rather wait for the XM Brown version which I'll gladly pay 1k$ for (and sell my SS PF Wolvie).

Anyway, back on topic : I prefer the Thor in those pictures

5aduvabe.jpg

jy2enyse.jpg

than the Sosa one we're seing Zbrush screenshots of.

Tony C's original sculpt was killer but somewhere along the line it got lost, and it just didn't turn out as well as we all hoped

d722f913aedf0c8ca0a64cf75f15d909_zps4d3ef767.jpg

fa9dd198ab2600eba2ca85b19c5bbb03_zpse8374a33.jpg

Lets just call a spade a spade and stop trying to be so careful when wording stuff. Honesty is the best policy here.

Sosa's incarnation of Thor so far is so far ahead of the TC one it's not even funny. This is not a shot at TC....I love his sculpts and he does awesome stuff. Hell, I even liked the version of Thor he did....but it aint in the same league. The digital creation is far more in line with the other XM statues done so far!

Sometimes we as a whole need to stop smoothing stuff over. Too much gray area sometimes...although with art, there is lots of leeway for opinions.

You're right Spidey, something got lost during the sculpting process of the first version... but what I saw in those prototype pictures can't be unseen :D. I can't settle for less than what we had back then, and to me, the new sculpt isn't there. It's better than the painted prototype, but it isn't enough for me given the expectations the first pictures created. Right now, I think it's one of the weakest statue XM has, right next to XM Antman tall version and XM Hulk.

Agree with you there Spidey

Same. Something definitely was lost between the early pics and the finished prototype.

Yep... he lost the sculpt somewhere along the line

Lets just call a spade a spade and stop trying to be so careful when wording stuff. Honesty is the best policy here.

Sosa's incarnation of Thor so far is so far ahead of the TC one it's not even funny. This is not a shot at TC....I love his sculpts and he does awesome stuff. Hell, I even liked the version of Thor he did....but it aint in the same league. The digital creation is far more in line with the other XM statues done so far!

Sometimes we as a whole need to stop smoothing stuff over. Too much gray area sometimes...although with art, there is lots of leeway for opinions.

IMHO Tony C's original sculpt above was every bit as good as Erick Sosa's, or at least it had the potential to be. However, unlike something got lost or got away from Tony C. during one stage of the sculpting process, and unlike with digital sculpting you can't simply hit Undo. Now, I am not taking anything away from Erick's work, he is TOTALLY killing this one, but I bet if XM and Tony C had had the time he could have gotten it right.

Back