XM Studios Catwoman - KNIGHT of the RISING SUN 1/4 Premium Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So is this thread going to be "it's crap" or "it's awesome" or are we actually going to get a chance to critique it?

I get what they are doing and it is interesting. But at this point I am not interested enough to spend $800 on them. I may change my mind as these progress but I hope not as I already have to many XM sculpts coming.

The face while beautiful in an oriental style figure, does not pronounce Catwoman to me. The kimono is a cool idea, but seems to generalize catwoman. There is nothing to me that just screams, 'Yo, this is Catwoman!'. The whip? Sure, I can see that; but once more, that's a generalization. If XM wants to stand out, don't do what others have used. The whip is overdone, hell even SS needed to back away from that; so I just don't want a repeat.

The overall concept has PAK written all over, a different period probably would have been interesting. Like an Italian Renaissance, sounds random but it was a point that would fit well.

If people don´t get what they have in mind, it´s crap. Just a shame. I love constructive critique and ask for that. :hi5:

IMO this is a whole different kind of collectible. These concepts are completely reimagined hence they are very personal, and usually the fans will only pay this kind of premium money to buy concepts from artists they actually follow, like say Ashley Wood, or even Kaws, etc. Most collectors here pay money for the characters the way they know them, from movies or cartoons or comics, and you really can't blame them as there are many different types of collectors out there, and usually people who actually grew up with these characters have a much harder time accepting different renditions, perhaps you are simply less attached to the original artist's designs?

And remember, we're not talking about who actually like these concepts, we're talking about who's going to put down USD $800+ to buy one, I think this concept is really cool but I can't sell my Jim Lee Catwoman PF to fund this, because I know who Selina Kyle is and this isn't it.

I'm sure many people would love these concepts but when it comes down to it, it's gonna be a hard sell regardless.

----

Tell that to all the people that bought a CM Predator back in the day for $2,000.

If I have learned anything in this hobby is that love for the source material is not necessary if the hype is there on a good detailed sculpt.

The Batman at least makes me think of Batman.. The concept for this Catwoman reminds me nothing of Catwoman... If you did not say that is who it was supposed to be I would have no idea. Don't like the design of her clothing at all...

Personally I am not crazy about things being given an Asian look that are not originally Asian... It's why I am not excited by this line... However this Catwoman does not even look Asian inspired to me... She just looks like a woman with bad taste in clothing..

Just concept art so I am sure XM will improve it.

I like this one but only with the maskless portrait. Could maybe use a bit of refinement but I like where it's at so far. Seems constructive criticism is a lost art.

The Batman at least makes me think of Batman.. The concept for this Catwoman reminds me nothing of Catwoman... If you did not say that is who it was supposed to be I would have no idea. Don't like the design of her clothing at all...

Personally I am not crazy about things being given an Asian look that are not originally Asian... It's why I am not excited by this line... However this Catwoman does not even look Asian inspired to me... She just looks like a woman with bad taste in clothing..

Just concept art so I am sure XM will improve it.

I'd mostly agree with this. I'm actually really liking the Samurai Batman, and I'm a huge Catwoman fan, but this one just doesn't make me feel it at all. I see Selina Kyle at a costume party, like many have mentioned, which just doesn't scream $1000+. I don't read Ninja, and I don't read Catwoman really. The pose is also a miss if this is the pose they're going for (hard to tell as the Batman design looks pretty set, but this one is more of a drawing right now.) She's posed like Elektra is posed...Catwoman is agile, flexible, and can do a bunch of cool things...her just walking as a "ninja" would be disappointing.

I'm sure we'll see more coming, but there's a lot cooler stuff they could do with a ninja version of Catwoman -- like put her in a more ninja-like outfit over an open top. I love open tops, but this one just doesn't suit it. She really just looks like a thief over a ninja, and maybe I spoke too soon on the pose thing, as it looks like she'll be on a bike? Also not really screaming ninja.

I like the idea, and ninja works for Selina if you're going all Asian theme for the Batman line, but the concept is a total miss on that mark.

I don't know if this will end up being tossed in the crap category, but it does look a bit too cosplay. Not really getting a Catwoman feel here. Although, I do imagine that if this were to actually show up in a Batman movie, some giving this the thumbs down would be the same ones doing cartwheels.

Back