XM Studios 1/4 Spider-Gwen

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dude... You are awesome, BUT get to the eye doctor right now!! These are completely different head sculpts or at least in many ways.

ba254dd19165bf6896892f89c4d22734_zpsyvx7hxxt.jpg

1. Lips are a different shape, and it isn't just because her mouth is closed. The new ones are fuller... More woman and less girly.
2. The nose is a TOTALLY different shape. It is broader and is less pigged nosed with the nostrils less flared.
3. The area under the eyes lack the baggy feeling the last headsculpt did.

All in all this new headsculpt is 100X better. Trust me when I say I KNOW how hard these can be to get right.... You can spend DAYS just trying to get the nostril shape right, and just when you think you do you rotate you model, and BOOM something is off from another angle. This stuff is a ***** to get right, and women are 1000X harder then men to get right. Why do you think there are so few sculptors KNOWN for their women. These changes are DAMN impressive.

Layer them in Photoshop. Other than the tiniest tweaks like broadening the very tip of the nose or shape of the eyebrows, they are the same face. Everything else you described is attributable to the lack of expression.

I also think you might be being tricked by what you warned others of, which is the digital paint differences.

Last edited:
Here. I did it for you. Squinted eyes, flared nostrils, arched eyebrows, widened v portion of top lip and teeth showing, all attributable to expression changes altering the shape of the face as you mentioned. Yes, as I said, they broadened the very tip of the nose being the biggest alteration, so let's go with same face with a nose job :lol And yes, the plain expression along with the tiny alterations do add some age to the face, but that doesn't make it a different face. Would you say someone at age 17 versus age 22 has a different face?

5.jpg

Oh, and the hair tricks the eye, of course.

Here. I did it for you. Squinted eyes, flared nostrils, arched eyebrows, widened v portion of top lip and teeth showing, all attributable to expression changes altering the shape of the face as you mentioned. Yes, as I said, they broadened the very tip of the nose being the biggest alteration, so let's go with same face with a nose job :lol And yes, the plain expression along with the tiny alterations do add some age to the face, but that doesn't make it a different face. Would you say someone at age 17 versus age 22 has a different face?

View attachment 275739

Oh, and the hair tricks the eye, of course.

Thanks for the overlay as it made some of the differences even more clear. They may have started with the same base mesh dude, but in addition to what I said before they made her face thinner, raised the eyes slightly and widened them, and not only did they make her nose more broad they brought down the tip. See I know what you are getting at, but again like I said, they might have used the same base mesh, but these aren't the same face. In order for these changes to happen bone would have to disappear. It is all small things, but in a femal sculpt it is the difference between beautiful, and meh. Having worked with these types of sculpt it is all about the small mm that can totally alter a sculpt. I know it is hard to explain, but until you have spent an hour and a half altering a neck, or a nose, or a mouths shape it is hard to understand how big a difference altering the bone and muscle structure can have.

Last edited:
Thanks for the overlay as it made some of the differences even more clear. They may have started with the same base mesh dude, but in addition to what I said before they made her face thinner, raised the eyes slightly and widened them, and not only did they make her nose more broad they brought down the tip. See I know what you are getting at, but again like I said, they might have used the same base mesh, but these aren't the same face. In order for these changes to happen bone would have to disappear. It is all small things, but in a femal sculpt it is the difference between beautiful, and meh. Having worked with these types of sculpt it is all about the small mm that can totally alter a sculpt. I know it is hard to explain, but until you have spent an hour and a half altering a neck, or a nose, or a mouths shape it is hard to understand how big a difference altering the bone and muscle structure can have.

I know what you're saying Spidey, but I think if they put the same expression on the new one, you would hate it just as much. I guess that's what gets me. Everyone complains about the lack of expressions, but then hates what those expressions do to a face. I don't know. I like them both here. I think a lot of what was "off" about the original was the expression and features necessary to pull off the story of the first design.

With the new design, they are now able to go with the simple placid expression to put some more "prettiness" back in the face.

Lets be honest. The issue with xm faces has been that those 'expressionless' faces make them look vacant. Its a widespread concern and not just a few people here and there. But I agree with Spidey that it is the minimal changes that does make it a different face. You can argue semantics of the the phrase all a person wants but she looks very different after these alterations small or not. They needed to change her as I personally think she looked horrible. XM are slowly getting there with female faces, but really have only hit a home run with Medusa so far. Im sure people will argue me on that, but when you compare these female faces to sideshows faces there is a vast difference. Yes, they do a more comic style/realistic mix, but that's no excuse not to make it a beautiful face, which is all we really want.

I'm not arguing semantics, though. The face is super close to the original. Like I said, you take away the expression, and people like it now. I'm just saying that a lot of people say they want different expressions and such, but they clearly don't.

I'm not arguing semantics, though. The face is super close to the original. Like I said, you take away the expression, and people like it now. I'm just saying that a lot of people say they want different expressions and such, but they clearly don't.

to be honest mate, i think xm do decent wips of the females for the most part. its when they translate it to the printed and painted prototype that it changes. Something seems to always get lost in translation. i have liked a lot of their faces on wips, only to be disappointed when the actual prot arrives. to me its always a wait and see with the female scupts. I didn't think the original gwen wip looked expressionless, but more that it was downright ugly and didn't look like her at all.

I like what they came up with and all the different switch out parts. I just hope they do a good job of hiding the seam for all the removable parts. If the right arm separates at the shoulder, there would be a noticeable cut line. That would bother me and is one of the reasons I don't buy figures (unless they're hidden underneath clothing, armor, etc).

IMO, much better than the previous version. The building in the previous version was too large and took away from Gwen. This puts more focus on her.

Back