Xbox360 & Blu-ray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not doubting they'll use more than DVD's when it comes to a new console, but just hitting the brakes and switching the discs used for 360 games to blu-ray is a bad idea. How many MILLIONS of people will be forced to buy a new 360 to play their new games? That's what I'm getting at. Sorry if you minsunderstood what I meant. I'm just saying that a internal blu-ray drive is ridiculous if they mean to use blu-rays for games as well. External makes so much more sense.

I didn't misunderstand what you were saying. I never said anything about Blu exclusivity. I'm simply saying they'll make use of the discs, and will definitely, without a doubt, put games on them within 2 years of the 360 Blu edition coming out.

I didn't misunderstand what you were saying. I never said anything about Blu exclusivity. I'm simply saying they'll make use of the discs, and will definitely, without a doubt, put games on them within 2 years of the 360 Blu edition coming out.

With the Xbox 360 turning 3 years old this fall, it's unlikely Microsoft would begin making Blu-ray games. It just would not be worth the consumer confusion and backlash when the next gen Xbox will likely be releasing in 2010. They will just save the BR games for this next system.

I'm guessing it's more of an attachment rather than a new system. There's no point in changing the system to include the Blu-Ray drive in the console, that just makes it more expensive.

And they won't ever make games for the Xbox 360 on Blu-Ray because they have to keep the requirements for games to where they will work on all the systems. That's why games can't require a hard drive for stuff like caching or anything because the core system doesn't have a hard drive.

They're doing pretty well with games right now where the amount of data is fairly equal to the power of the Xbox console, but I think new games that developers want to release on Blu-Ray will push for the next Xbox console to be released quickly. (take your time though microsoft, we're still hurting from the rush on the Xbox 360).

I'm not doubting they'll use more than DVD's when it comes to a new console, but just hitting the brakes and switching the discs used for 360 games to blu-ray is a bad idea. How many MILLIONS of people will be forced to buy a new 360 to play their new games? That's what I'm getting at. Sorry if you minsunderstood what I meant. I'm just saying that a internal blu-ray drive is ridiculous if they mean to use blu-rays for games as well. External makes so much more sense.

Yeah but if the new 360 system has a BR player and is as quiet as the PS3 is then i would definitely buy another. Plus I am sure it would be backwards compatible for all the games you currently own. That would be major for MS. A new 360 with built in Blu Ray that is backwards compatible all the way back to the original xbox and is quiet. They would sell it quickly. Their current system config is hanging on by a thread now anyways with the RRD still happening and systems crashing left and right. the PS3 might be heavy as he!! but it is a stable system.

With the Xbox 360 turning 3 years old this fall, it's unlikely Microsoft would begin making Blu-ray games. It just would not be worth the consumer confusion and backlash when the next gen Xbox will likely be releasing in 2010. They will just save the BR games for this next system.

I am not so sure next next gen console will be release that soon. That is only a year and a half away. This is MS's best bet right now. Add the player to future consoles and price it the same as when it first came out. But I do agree they shouldn't rush it or it can and will backfire on them.

I'm guessing it's more of an attachment rather than a new system. There's no point in changing the system to include the Blu-Ray drive in the console, that just makes it more expensive.

And they won't ever make games for the Xbox 360 on Blu-Ray because they have to keep the requirements for games to where they will work on all the systems. That's why games can't require a hard drive for stuff like caching or anything because the core system doesn't have a hard drive.

They're doing pretty well with games right now where the amount of data is fairly equal to the power of the Xbox console, but I think new games that developers want to release on Blu-Ray will push for the next Xbox console to be released quickly. (take your time though microsoft, we're still hurting from the rush on the Xbox 360).

Taking there time has NEVER been Microsoft's style. Everything is always rushed out early, with the hope and promise of fixing bugs later. If you need any proof of this, look no farther than Vista.

Taking there time has NEVER been Microsoft's style. Everything is always rushed out early, with the hope and promise of fixing bugs later. If you need any proof of this, look no farther than Vista.
ouch!!! MS does this with just about every new OS though. MS will NOT make blu ray games with the 360. they've said it 1million times, and this far into the consoles' lifespan will not only hurt it, but also kill their next console when that time comes. i think they are simply offering the blu ray drive as an option to get 100% hi def out of their 360. besides, all of their current games in development for the next 2 years are working around DVD, to simply say "hey..put it on blu ray" would make their jobs almost too easy.

Actually, they took a lot of time with Vista, it just ended up being pretty bad. And that was only a software program--makes you wonder how they ever could have developed the Xbox 360.

Well, since the Xbox 360 came out a year before the other consoles, they should at least add a year onto the next console development and just release it around the same time as the others.

It kind of makes you wonder, 2010 or 2011 will be around the time for the next console run, and really I would say that's too early for the PS3 or Wii to be replaced but at this point it seems the Xbox needs a new version very soon.

ouch!!! MS does this with just about every new OS though. MS will NOT make blu ray games with the 360. they've said it 1million times, and this far into the consoles' lifespan will not only hurt it, but also kill their next console when that time comes. i think they are simply offering the blu ray drive as an option to get 100% hi def out of their 360. besides, all of their current games in development for the next 2 years are working around DVD, to simply say "hey..put it on blu ray" would make their jobs almost too easy.

How much HD can you truly get out of an attached drive? Really I mean the signal still has to travel through a USB port and then (like my 360) I don't have the HDMI port. So right there I am being isolated from true HD. A new console is their best bet. Create a new console to bring all the masses to the same level of quality. People will flood the store to get a new more stable and reliable version of the 360. We'll call it 360 2.0.
360 2.0 specs
Full backwards compatibility
20 gig HD
Built in Blu Ray player
HDMI port
75% less noise

Yeah and a 20GB HDD is ^^^^ing useless in the era of HD content. a 200GB and large HDD is what is really needed. I like that either Hitachi or Toshiba just came out with a new 320GB 7200RPM laptop HDD. And it uses less power than most current 250GB 5400RPM laptop HDD! But hopefully around the time we get a new console flash-drives will be super cheap and we won't need HDDs!!

Well, right now a 64GB solid-state hard drive is around $1,000 so it might be like 5 years until they're affordable to today's standards.

Really we need a truly next-gen game console, especially since current ones still don't have more than 1 or 2 1080p games, and mostly even less than 720p.

Yeah and a 20GB HDD is ^^^^ing useless in the era of HD content. a 200GB and large HDD is what is really needed. I like that either Hitachi or Toshiba just came out with a new 320GB 7200RPM laptop HDD. And it uses less power than most current 250GB 5400RPM laptop HDD! But hopefully around the time we get a new console flash-drives will be super cheap and we won't need HDDs!!

It would keep the initial price down with all the extra stuff packed in. Plus you could always use the transfer option to store game content on your PC through your wireless network. Come on guys we are talking about next next gen now. Think outside the box:rolleyes: geesh

:D

Then why is the picture quality different if you use componant cables instead of HDMI?

Because most Component cables still transfer their data as analog. And with Component cables, the signal is split up, hence component, and then put back together at the device.

And digital will have signal loss, with compression, decompression and all that. Please got to www.avsforum.com to get all sorts of good info on A/V stuff. Love that place!

Here is a good explaination of Component cables:

Further types of component analogue video signals do not use R,G,B components but rather a colorless component, termed luma, combined with one or more color-carrying components, termed chroma, that give only color information. This overcomes the problem of data redundancy that plagues RGB signals, since there is only one monochromatic image carried, instead of three. Both the S-Video component video output (two separate signals) and the YPbPr component video output (three separate signals) seen on DVD players are examples of this method.

Converting video into luma and chroma allows for chroma subsampling, a method used by JPEG images and DVD players to reduce the storage requirements for images and video. The YPbPr scheme is usually what is meant when people talk of component video today. Many consumer DVD players, high-definition displays, video projectors and the like, use this form of color coding.

And digital will have signal loss, with compression, decompression and all that

Yeah, but that has nothing to do with cable length, etc. which I was responding to originally.

But yeah, AVSForum is the place to go for all sorts of home theater knowledge.

Back