Would you get a statue of a character you didn't know/like?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you get a statue of a character you didn't know/like?

• Yes, the look of the figure is all that matters

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Only if the figure looked exceptional

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • No, I need to learn about a character before investing in a statue

Votes: 12 54.5%

• Total voters
No I would never buy a figure of a character I didn't know or like. I only buy my all time favorite characters.

I probably don't know where 1/3 of my Japanese figures come from (well, except, you know... Japan), or I know the origin of, but could tell you almost nothing about.

For example:
Lineage II - Kamael - 1/7 (Max Factory) ‹ Figures ‹ Databases - MyFigureCollection.net (Tsuki-board.net)
Summon Night 3 - Aty - 1/8 (Alter) ‹ Figures ‹ Databases - MyFigureCollection.net (Tsuki-board.net)
Kenkyou Joen 3 - Tensakujo Sosetsuyo - 1/6 - Miyzawa Limited Edition (Lechery, Souyokusha) ‹ Figures ‹ Databases - MyFigureCollection.net (Tsuki-board.net)
Shining Blade - Sakuya - 1/8 - Mode: Cerulean (Kotobukiya) ‹ Figures ‹ Databases - MyFigureCollection.net (Tsuki-board.net)
Ar Tonelico II Sekai ni Hibiku Shoujo-tachi no Metafalica - Chroche Leythal Pastalia - 1/8 (Max Factory) ‹ Figures ‹ Databases - MyFigureCollection.net (Tsuki-board.net)

I own all these, I could probably tell you what FORM of media they hail from, but that's it. Of course, it's nice to have figures of characters you have an emotional connection to, hence all the Hatsune Mikus, Sabers, and Madokas taking up about 2/3 of my shelf space. But I don't think I've had an instance where I've bought a figure, only to later realize that I hate the character/source. Well, I did buy one of those "No, of course we didn't design this solely as a cute mascot character to make merch of" blobs from "Sekai Sei***u ~ Bouryaku no Zvezda", a show with a cool premise... that hits you with a full-length anti-smoking PSA episode that has all the subtlety of Captain Planet, like, 3 episodes in. Non-smoker me was not cool with having my intelligence disrespected like that. Which is a bummer, because this figure is neat-o.

(Oh, auto-censor, you silly. Ai****eru.)

why would anyone in their right mind buy something they dont like? may it be food, clothing, TOYS. :cuckoo:
self torture?lolz

why would anyone in their right mind buy something they dont like? may it be food, clothing, TOYS. :cuckoo:
self torture?lolz

I think it's like collector OCD. Some people have to have everything in a set. Some people don't like to not buy something because they at some point will no longer be able to get it. And some people will buy something just in case later on it is "the one" they can make a profit off... Some people will buy a figure just because it is a really good example of a figure even if they aren't a fan of the movie or the genre, like a Jack Sparrow.

I used to occasionally buy a figure just because I thought it looked cool. For example, I bought the HT Alien Big Chap having not even seen the movie at the time. They were usually impulse buys without much thought. Don't do it anymore. But I do see it all the time. Most people hate the Star Wars prequels and yet prequel figures sell like hot cakes.

I think it's like collector OCD. Some people have to have everything in a set. Some people don't like to not buy something because they at some point will no longer be able to get it. And some people will buy something just in case later on it is "the one" they can make a profit off... Some people will buy a figure just because it is a really good example of a figure even if they aren't a fan of the movie or the genre, like a Jack Sparrow.

i get the appeal of a good looking figure, that would fit in one's collection i.e robot, horror/monster theme.

worst case i found were HT collectors specific. anything and everything HT shoves out is a must...even if it sucked and completely oblivious of what that figure is or about.

self torture?lolz

well if i know a statue of Green Goblim would go up in value & demand, i would buy it.

if i know there are 72 virgins waiting for me after i go BOOM....

i'd flip it too.

but you'd be too dead before you meet the 72 virgins, do they take credits? like meet the few virgins 1st before you make your Boom plan?

Back