Woodworking Commissions- Shields & Pirate Deck

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Woodworking- WIP Wooden Shield (Braveheart or Vikings)

I've also had a couple PMs about making the shield for the "Freedom Warrior." This shield is made out of real oak and stained to an accurate color. The grip is wrapped in real leather and the supports attached with real nails. Next up will be wrapping the outside with metal and weathering it.
I will do a small run of these if more are interested.

Here's the proto shield. I already learned a few things on how to make it look better. First, I didn't notice how rough sawn the left and right panels were until staining it. I think I can sand it down in case I want to sell the proto. The spray paint "bronze" color I got is WAY off. I'll just mix my own bronze color and airbrush it on.

Everything seems to be looking good though. I got all the panels on the second one smooth and showing the grain, get the hand guard the right color, and get the metal wrapped around the edge.

The shield compliments the figure we'll. Excellent work!
cfb695d6d8b7b4b0fa5873f9d04008c3.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1426707332942.jpeg

Here's another run of shields and a one-off, functional canvas chair. It's for Rdeezy's beautiful Daniel Plainview.

Re: Woodworking- Wooden Shields and Canvas Chair

And just to throw this out there, I do not use Popsicle sticks or any wood you could buy in Hobby Lobby. All the wood comes from lumber.

Youve done some really really nice work.

Ive had trouble with tear out on small pieces like you use. Do you wrap the piece in tape before cutting? That only works sometimes for me.

There's some awesome stuff in here great work
Thank you!

Youve done some really really nice work.

Ive had trouble with tear out on small pieces like you use. Do you wrap the piece in tape before cutting? That only works sometimes for me.

Thanks! Nope, no tape wrapping. It probably depends on what you're using and how you're cutting it. I generally use oak for most of my pieces and cut it with a bandsaw. Oak is a really hard wood, so it usually cuts cleanly. The only thing I've had chip, fuzz, or tear is pine and those big sheets of plywood.

Thanks. Ive solved tearing in plywood by attaching a piece of masonite to the bottom of the circular saw.

But i buy almost all pine. I'll try to avoid in the future. Thx for the tip.

When I say tearing, I just mean the splinter-y fragments on the very edge. Something you can hit once with sandpaper and it comes right off. Are we talking about the same thing?

Pine is a super soft wood. Are you using it for scale builds or real life stuff?

Back