Premium Format Wonder Woman Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do understand where people are coming from in wanting to retain value in a 'limited edition, numbered piece', but I think people also need to be realistic. Why should Sideshow (or another company for that matter) limit the numbers they are producing, so people can flip them? This happens a lot! I've paid over the odds for at least one PF (Batman Ex) and one comiquette (Spiderman Ex).
For example, there's a Poison Ivy Green with Envy PF on ebay for $800, plus shipping.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sideshow-e...2201820?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item27e300c05c
That is absolutely insane when you factor in that it's not long been up for preorder and no ES has been announced. Why shouldn't Sideshow give people an opportunity to pay the same as everyone else instead of some 'collectors' (I use that term incredibly loosely) being able to flip them and make a few hundred on each piece. I've missed out on a few pieces as a relatively new collector and I absolutely refuse to pay ebay prices from people looking to flip and basically rip off collectors. I doubt that Poison Ivy will sell for that price, but people still try.
I do think 3,500 is high for Wonder Woman but it's a stunning piece and will be the centrepiece of my collection, along with Batman Ex and Superman Ex and I am happy with that number. Sideshow is a business after all, and they must be kicking themselves that some of their items sell for sometimes 7 or 8 times the price they sold them for originally. I'm sure my friends will see it and love it, and none of them will ask 'how many were made?'
I realise I've typed an essay here, but as a relatively new collector I can see both sides to this. I'm sure a nice balance can be struck, and it would be interesting to see what less popular members of the Justice League sell for (and how many they make). However, I certainly don't blame Sideshow as a company for maximising profit on popular characters. Imagine if they dropped a limited edition Batman (200 or so) on the first day of Comic-Con, with no promotion or no hints they were going to do that. The complaining would be unbearable!

I do understand where people are coming from in wanting to retain value in a 'limited edition, numbered piece', but I think people also need to be realistic. Why should Sideshow (or another company for that matter) limit the numbers they are producing, so people can flip them? This happens a lot! I've paid over the odds for at least one PF (Batman Ex) and one comiquette (Spiderman Ex).
For example, there's a Poison Ivy Green with Envy PF on ebay for $800, plus shipping.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sideshow-e...2201820?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item27e300c05c
That is absolutely insane when you factor in that it's not long been up for preorder and no ES has been announced. Why shouldn't Sideshow give people an opportunity to pay the same as everyone else instead of some 'collectors' (I use that term incredibly loosely) being able to flip them and make a few hundred on each piece. I've missed out on a few pieces as a relatively new collector and I absolutely refuse to pay ebay prices from people looking to flip and basically rip off collectors. I doubt that Poison Ivy will sell for that price, but people still try.
I do think 3,500 is high for Wonder Woman but it's a stunning piece and will be the centrepiece of my collection, along with Batman Ex and Superman Ex and I am happy with that number. Sideshow is a business after all, and they must be kicking themselves that some of their items sell for sometimes 7 or 8 times the price they sold them for originally. I'm sure my friends will see it and love it, and none of them will ask 'how many were made?'
I realise I've typed an essay here, but as a relatively new collector I can see both sides to this. I'm sure a nice balance can be struck, and it would be interesting to see what less popular members of the Justice League sell for (and how many they make). However, I certainly don't blame Sideshow as a company for maximising profit on popular characters. Imagine if they dropped a limited edition Batman (200 or so) on the first day of Comic-Con, with no promotion or no hints they were going to do that. The complaining would be unbearable!

They are selling "collectibles" where part of their appeal is how limited they are. Most statues don't rise that much, many hover around retail and some even go down in value. It depends on many factors, ES is just one of many. That example of Ivy you posted is not reality, there is always those types of crazy prices out there but it will never sell. SS should be proud some of their items sell for high premiums in the secondary market, not try to figure out a way to reissue the same piece and capitalize on that extra value like they seem to be doing with some recently.

They are selling "collectibles" where part of their appeal is how limited they are. Most statues don't rise that much, many hover around retail and some even go down in value. It depends on many factors, ES is just one of many. That example of Ivy you posted is not reality, there is always those types of crazy prices out there but it will never sell. SS should be proud some of their items sell for high premiums in the secondary market, not try to figure out a way to reissue the same piece and capitalize on that extra value like they seem to be doing with some recently.

Luckily for people who feel that way, you are in no way required to purchase any of these from Sideshow. You are absolutely free to have an extremely limited Wonder Woman statue commissioned for yourself giving you complete control over how it looks, and how many are made.

Luckily for people who feel that way, you are in no way required to purchase any of these from Sideshow. You are absolutely free to have an extremely limited Wonder Woman statue commissioned for yourself giving you complete control over how it looks, and how many are made.

There is no "feeling" about it, those are just facts. I did not say I was not getting her, I was merely commenting on how ES plays into the total picture.

There is no "feeling" about it, those are just facts. I did not say I was not getting her, I was merely commenting on how ES plays into the total picture.

Actually almost nothing of what you posted is actual fact, but merely opinion and speculation on your part. :dunno

At least we know the truth now

I'm just saying I want/ prefer to collect figs that has a number, instead of no numbered figs. If there was no number it would feel so weird. Wait I forgot galactus has no number.... Errrrr...

Actually almost nothing of what you posted is actual fact, but merely opinion and speculation on your part. :dunno

I did not claim ES was the ONLY thing that affected value, but you have to admit does affect it. Ivy at a crazy price is not a fact? SS reissuing older statues is a fact(look at the dino line).

ah yes, the inevitable ES debate once again...

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I did not claim ES was the ONLY thing that affected value, but you have to admit does affect it. Ivy at a crazy price is not a fact? SS reissuing older statues is a fact(look at the dino line).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SOLD-OUT-D...10?pt=US_Comics_Figurines&hash=item417f166d8e

Yes, your Ivy crazy price speculation is not actually fact. They did sell for $800 for a time and still can garner $700, yet being able to flip a statue for a huge gain is not really something many collectors take into account when collecting statues. In fact I would go out on a limb and say they guy who is only interested statues that quickly rise in value to flip is not really a collector at all. Your speculation that these are no longer considered collectible or still appeal to most collectors is also false, otherwise they wouldn't be able to sell as many they do. Sideshow reissuing statues is really a half truth, they make variants which is somewhat different, and it's a rarity when they do so. Honestly I don't like that practice, but don't have an entitled mentality that they need to change their business practices to suit my needs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SOLD-OUT-D...10?pt=US_Comics_Figurines&hash=item417f166d8e

Yes, your Ivy crazy price speculation is not actually fact. They did sell for $800 for a time and still can garner $700, yet being able to flip a statue for a huge gain is not really something many collectors take into account when collecting statues. In fact I would go out on a limb and say they guy who is only interested statues that quickly rise in value to flip is not really a collector at all. Your speculation that these are no longer considered collectible or still appeal to most collectors is also false, otherwise they wouldn't be able to sell as many they do. Sideshow reissuing statues is really a half truth, they make variants which is somewhat different, and it's a rarity when they do so. Honestly I don't like that practice, but don't have an entitled mentality that they need to change their business practices to suit my needs.

No, I was talking about the NEW green version listed that high.

Sure if you want to completely skip his entire point to argue a technicality, have at it. You win :clap

You are skipping my point now. I got his point fine, never said he was wrong. Would be nice if we did not have to pay a ton for old pieces, but I don't want to screw over the owners of those pieces just so I can get a deal.

You are skipping my point now. I got his point fine, never said he was wrong. Would be nice if we did not have to pay a ton for old pieces, but I don't want to screw over the owners of those pieces just so I can get a deal.

Sorry, thought your main point was the same tired argument about real collectors wanting to keep ES limited, my bad.

Back