Premium Format Wolverine (Brown Costume) - Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yah, you're right. Subtle differences but all very similar.

I don't dislike any of them but given the hunched/leaning posture and the fact that both feet are arched suggests Wolverines about to leap into the fray. So the open mouth works, while the closed mouth (LSF/koto) seems not to fit in that regard. This is not a static pose, the instant right before the attack. That's my take anyway.

I agree with you. Wolvie looks like he's about to jump into the fray. The open mouth works for me. I actually don't have an issue with the portraits. I like them. My biggest problem is the liberties SSC took with his costume. All that texturing in his chest/back area looks pretty bad to me. The combat boots and spanks he's wearing also don't work for me personally. Also, I would have liked to have seen a much thicker looking belt. Lastly, Wolvie is a hairy dude. Put some hair on his arms. How hard is that to do? I have the original COM and the hair looks great on it. I know some peeps are gonna say those are minor details and doesn't take away from the statue. However, for me, it does. Especially if I'm dropping over $500 delivered on a PF nowadays. IMO, details can make or break a piece. For an example of details absolutely making a piece, look at the Lobo PF. It is loaded with comic accurate details that make the piece just jaw dropping.

I'm so on the fence with this PF. A few minor changes that would have resulted in a more comic accurate costume and I would have jumped in with both feet and PO'd this the instant it went up. Being a HUGE Wolverine fan, I can't believe that I'm even thinking about passing on another PF. Passing on the original PF because I hated the cloth costume didn't bother me because I LOVE my COM. It's still my favorite Wolverine statue in his classic duds. When I found out this PF would be fully sculpted, I nearly did cartwheels. I figured there's no way I'm passing on it. Yet, that's a real possibility now. While there's a lot to like about the piece, I'm not blown away by it. Dropping over $500 on a piece that doesn't truly excite me just feels all kinds of wrong. Unfortunately, that's where I'm at with this piece now.

Last edited:
My rule is if i hesitate because of artistic reason i dont get it. But thats me. My mind doesnt budge much from first impressions.

I have wanted to see how the face sculpt looks more close up from front on. New Banner at SSC has it and I really like how it looks personally.

300116Wolverine-HPB.jpg

Something still looks odd with the top lip, to me it's still got that Jim Carrey cotton mouth vibe going on, I really want this PF but I know that if I buy it my eyes will always be drawn to his bizarre mouth area/expression, what has been seen cannot be unseen.

2lkft6c.gif

More than anything, I would like for Sideshow to design and give us a third headsculpt with a closed mouth for Wolverine brown PFi. So far this PF and the new Spidey PF have been very underwhelming. Theyre doing great things with DC but this PF and Spidey PF need a bit of an overhaul imo. All they need to do is fix the base on this and give us a closed mouth head and give the Spidey PF a better base but sadly I dont think either will happen. :dunno

You have no idea how the approval process works

Did someone say his claws aren't metal? If so, that would be a shame. PFs are no longer always mixed media, but that seems like a no-brainer. And, of course, something we saw with the earlier Wolvie PF that was almost $200 cheaper :lol

yeah, unfortunately not metal. why they could do that a few years ago for something that cost significantly less is beyond me.

I agree with you. Wolvie looks looks like he's about to jump into the fray. The open mouth works for me. I actually don't have an issue with the portraits. I like them. My biggest problem is the liberties SSC took with his costume. All that texturing in his chest/back area looks pretty bad to me. The combat boots and spanks he's wearing also don't work for me personally. Also, I would have liked to have seen a much thicker looking belt. Lastly, Wolvie is a hairy dude. Put some hair on his arms. How hard is that to do? I have the original COM and the hair looks great on it. I know some peeps are gonna say those are minor details and doesn't take away from the statue. However, for me, it does. Especially if I'm dropping over $500 delivered on a PF nowadays. IMO, details can make or break a piece. For an example of details absolutely making a piece, look at the Lobo PF. It is loaded with comic accurate details that make the piece just jaw dropping.

I'm so on the fence with this PF. A few minor changes that would have resulted in a more comic accurate costume and I would have jumped in with both feet and PO'd this the instant it went up. Being a HUGE Wolverine fan, I can't believe that I'm even thinking about passing on another PF. Passing on the original PF because I hated the cloth costume didn't bother me because I LOVE my COM. It's still my favorite Wolverine statue in his classic duds. When I found out this PF would be fully sculpted, I nearly did cartwheels. I figured there's no way I'm passing on it. Yet, that's a real possibility now. While there's a lot to like about the piece, I'm not blown away by it. Dropping over $500 on a piece that doesn't truly excite me just feels all kinds of wrong. Unfortunately, that's where I'm at with this piece now.

Even though the main source material is the '82 miniseries, SS's pulling from multiple sources while trying to bring an updated overall feel to the piece (my opinion). Med-heavy leather makes sense to me as some suits in Motorsports made of leather give a certain amount of protection while not hindering movement. The smooth boots just don't give the same grip someone would need to tramp around outdoors and the boxers are on par with DD. So those changes don't really bother me. I totally get you on the price tag tho... See what SDCC has to offer soon on more images.

Did someone say his claws aren't metal? If so, that would be a shame. PFs are no longer always mixed media, but that seems like a no-brainer. And, of course, something we saw with the earlier Wolvie PF that was almost $200 cheaper :lol

Inflation my man, :lol Just image the cost if the claws were metal..:gah:

About 65% inflation over 6 years or so, with a product coming out using cheaper materials overall!!

Exactly! These price increases have very little to do with inflation. Inflation is about 11% for the period between last PF preorder and this one.

I'm just being realistic in this time of license issues instead of requesting that sideshow redesign a completely new statue, get approval, and all of the other stuff required.

Come on man. I'm not asking you to buy the variant, get off my back.

Not to mention if you love the sculpt but don't like the color then a variant would be nice.... I would have loved if they released a brown suit variant of the original comiquette.

More than anything, I would like for Sideshow to design and give us a third headsculpt with a closed mouth for Wolverine brown PFi. So far this PF and the new Spidey PF have been very underwhelming. Theyre doing great things with DC but this PF and Spidey PF need a bit of an overhaul imo. All they need to do is fix the base on this and give us a closed mouth head and give the Spidey PF a better base but sadly I dont think either will happen. :dunno

I disagree but it's just a difference of opinions.

While he still isn't my ideal look, I will prob pick this up one day. I'm just not in a hurry to PO.

Back