Statue Wolf Predator Legendary Scale Bust

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm upset and I didn't even buy one of these. Bullet dodged!

'It's Sisko' is right... with other companies delivering production pieces that are nearly identical to the prototype, there is no excuse for Sideshow to deliver products like this and there is no reason for us to continue buying their products.

The quality of a product needs to be reflected in its price. I want to get what I pay for. That's fair.

pointless having a prototype if you cant get anywhere near the quality shown, those side by side pictures from python really show up the difference, made a big song and dance about the texture of the dreads, what happened? like everyone else it's the cost of this for the questionable quality

I'm upset and I didn't even buy one of these. Bullet dodged!

That actually makes me feel better:
1) Because you are a decent fella who understands how disappointed we are.
2) Because you didn't get shafted like the rest of us saps.​

. . . there is no excuse for Sideshow to deliver products like this and there is no reason for us to continue buying their products.

Truer words were never spoken.

The quality of a product needs to be reflected in its price. I want to get what I pay for. That's fair.

. . . Except for these words :)

I’m not surprised at all, since Sideshow has never been able to satisfy predator fans. All their Predator products are a flop. Always something wrong.

One thing I don't get is, PVC is supposed to hold better detail than polystone (only reason I could think of to use PVC here). I mean, it's what Hot Toys use for their sculpts, and what Blitzway use for the sculpts on their statues. So WTF happened here?

Admittedly, it looks not bad in Golden_Boy's pics, but certainly doesn't look like a 650 dollar piece.

What's baffling is that they've been putting out some great stuff lately, so not sure what happened with this. The white box is the icing on the cake really. Just makes the whole thing look like an incomplete product, something that was rushed out the door.

I'm eager to look at it more when I get home, but the main area where detail dipped for me was on the open mandible. There's some in there, but there were a lot more details in the production piece. The details on the top of the head, and on the damaged side are there, which I liked. It's possible the paints will vary from piece to piece...not sure.

So it's possible that's why they went the PVC route...with all the scarring, and burns, had they sculpted it in polystone, maybe they just wouldn't have held properly. I think being more open with it...like if they'd tested it and shown the difference, then it's possible it would've been something people would've expected or been prepared for...but I think it coming out of the blue like that was shocking to some. But it's possible had they done it the other way in mass production it would've lost something more.

Again, from my first LITTLE bit of time with it, I wasn't disappointed...it was more the price. It all went back to the price for me. PVC may be more expensive to produce pieces with; but it jumped really high from the previous $399.99 Predator bust release (may have been $349? Can't recall offhand) so with the natural boost of pricing from Sideshow, I think making this $499.99 would've been like, "Okay, I guess that's expected," and $549.99 would've been, "Ouch, okay, pricier, but alas..." But the $649 is the main reason this didn't sell out even with a small ES. I know the AvP license is a pricier one, it seems, but yeah, that was a big price boost.

Now, there's some weight to the piece. Mainly in the base, where the polystone seems to be, and holding it all up. The head/dreads seem to be all PVC and lighter, but yeah, again...I wish I had more time with it to give my reactions to it in person as I look at it...but from what I remember, I didn't groan and want to instantly pack it away and ship it off. It wasn't all around sheer disappointment. It was a full realization that the price was definitely too much, but I still liked the piece.

I'll post further thoughts when I get home and can actually look at it and take it in while I respond as well.

Speak to them, given the circumstances, they should allow it..

afDmZLe.jpg

Ouch! What a scam!

I will agree with the above that companies like Prime 1 are delivering 100% -- if not improved -- replicas of their prototypes, and with costs getting up there for all companies, they're going to have to compete with that for sure.

That said, Sideshow hasn't disappointed me in quite a while, as Machiko, Red Sonja and others have been homeruns, with Huntress (one I didn't get) and others recently released also being REALLY spot on to their production pieces.

I didn't understand the "polystone not holding detail" excuse, look at the other companies that aren't delivering pvc pieces. You'd hardly accuse them of not having detailed pieces. They can also deliver near proto production pieces so go figure.

I do a fair bit of molding and casting, it's not my experience with a high quality mix. It seems like SS get out of jail free card.

I feel so bad for the people who ordered this, I hope SS doesn't fight you on returns.

Didn't realize just how stylized this sculpt was until that last photo showing the sides of the mandibles. Little bit streamlined, cartoony from the profile.

Summoned up the courage to open this with the help of my Son.

Not as bad as I’d expected but ONLY BECAUSE the video helped lessen what would have otherwise been a terrible OOB shock.

Long-story-short – NOT worth the full price – no way, no how.

fullstop.jpg

Fortunately, I only paid half-price due to points and credit, so I will be keeping it.

My guess is that they went with vinyl because of the risks of breakage with what is a superb & complex sculpt. Still – they used polystone for the other 4 so what do I know.

This WOULD be more acceptable if:

1) It was the same price as the others OR it was polystone like the others (at least the base is heavier)
AND
2) It did not have the seam on his lower right mandible (WHY-oh-WHY did they do that ? – his lower LEFT mandible is PERFECT!)
AND
3) Was better quality paint (it’s not awful, but could also have been a LOT better)​

I’m so annoyed with myself AND with Sideshow.

I stupidly ASSUMED that an AMAZING sculpt combined with a massively inflated price would mean:

1) They had listened to Alien/Predator fans complaints about previous releases (LSB or otherwise).
2) Better quality – not worse.
3) A continuation of polystone NOT a shift to “action figure” materials.​

Stunned.

Even for Sideshow, this is unbelievable behaviour.

Here’s my recommendation to anyone interested in this . . . .

Because_Sideshow_06_meme.jpg

I officially proclaim today as the beginning of Preda-gate. So let it be written. So let it be done.

To be fair, they never advertised a nameplate, so there's no reason to expect them to throw it in here. There's enough about this release that's damning without adding that to the list.

Gutted mate. At least it didn't cost you silly money.

When will we learn not to trust Sideshow!
(Well I didn't order despite several moments of weakness)

Remember when sideshow we're going to do the lsb elder and it was cancelled. Maybe they should of done the same with this and saved all the heart ache but sideshow must sit back and laugh at this.

Sent from my R7sf using Tapatalk

It may just be lighting or a better paint job on the pre-pro piece, but man, it sure looks like a much sharper, more crisp cast. Especially looking at the ridges and edges. Our $650 Funko Pop doesn't seem to have sharp detailing. Plus the paint is WAY off. And come on....they haven't heard any complaints? Do they even read this board at all? One look at this thread should clarify how we customers feel about this.

Ugh. It's crazy that I now have a sense of dread for tomorrow when I get mine, instead of being ecstatic about a $700 (lets not forget shipping too) piece. Pred-gate 2017 is now official.

Back