with sideshow doing indiana jones

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sideshow used to be the one setting the standards. That ship has sailed. They always have, and still do, set the standard for value for money. No one in the market comes close. That and that alone is why I became and am a Sideshow Freak.

I bet Sideshow does a better job than the Relic Hunter. That Hunter jacket needs tailoring, and Sideshows whip ought to beat it in scale as well. Sideshow just can't afford to drop the ball on this one.

I guess you haven't seen Princess Leia's dress. :lol That's the cheap ass stuff I'm talking about. The relic hunter trousers are made of thicker heavier weave material. I used it for a Custom Terminator. I agree the RH jacket needs some zipper tailoring but overall the quality of material used will be better than SSC can deliver IMO.

The relic hunter trousers are made of thicker heavier weave material. I used it for a Custom Terminator. I agree the RH jacket needs some zipper tailoring but overall the quality of material used will be better than SSC can deliver IMO.

Well yeah, nice trousers and shirt, nice metal accessories, nice boots with laces and tread pattern, socks are a bonus. Still the jacket is too big, not tight enough around the waist, collar size too big. Quality materials for sure. Good value for money.

I'm anxious to see SSC's Indy. We already know the sculpt is great, but I really hope they up their tailoring for this one. I think SSC puts out a nice product for the price, but their tailoring is easily the sloppiest of all the major 1/6 companies, and that includes the military companies like DML.

You people sure have a lot of confidence in SS. After the disappointment I had in Sara Conner I am not holding my breath expecting this sculpt to be any better than the other Harrison Ford sculpts SS has done. Ford is obviously a tough portrait to capture. And why does anyone think that SS is going to make any kind of priority out of "raising the bar" on the quality of this figure? I don't expect to see more than 3 characters out of this line (Indy Jr. and Sr., maybe Marion) before it's dropped like everything else has been. I wouldn't be surprised if they picked up the license just to prevent someone else from getting it. Oh, I'll buy them all, but I'm already planning to book a sculptor to redo the stuff I'm not happy with, and to make a Sallah, Marcus Brody, and Shortround.

I'm anxious to see SSC's Indy. We already know the sculpt is great, but I really hope they up their tailoring for this one. I think SSC puts out a nice product for the price, but their tailoring is easily the sloppiest of all the major 1/6 companies, and that includes the military companies like DML.

I think that distinction goes to Hasbro, and that's a serious indictment considering how big they are. Maybe SS is at par w/21C, and certainly better than the "lesser" brands like Power Team and SOTW. Most of my SS figures are from the Bond line. I have a few Universal Monsters, which I used for their outfits, and the Barbwire & Bayonettes figures, which I think were nicely made for that price point, tailoring and all.

The quality of the Bond figure tailoring really left much to be desired, and ditto for the tailoring on much of the other suited figures like Get Smart and Scarface. Unlike some here, I can't make statements like "Sideshow will pull out all the stops," since no one can really be sure about that at this point. At best, I'm predicting that SS' Indy line might be made at the same price point and quality level as the Star Wars line and the Bond Legacy figures, which aren't really that much better. But with much certainty, I don't think SS's Indy will come close to Toys McCoy's, just based on the real leather jacket alone that's even lined like a 1:1 jacket that IMO is comparible in quality with SS' premium format figures, the scupts of the two pairs of hands, and of course, the accessories. Economically, if any "major" player like SS, DML, DID or BBI went to the same level of quality, they'd be forced to use the same price point of the Toys McCoy Indy when it first came out, which was around $240. Then throw in the limited production of 2,000 pieces... just look at the going rate for some of the Legacy Bonds that have higher production numbers and came out not too long ago.

With that said, maybe the demand for the Toys McCoy Indy might dip a bit while SS distributes theirs, (which is not a long period), having the effect of most of these auctions ending without meeting their minimum bid amounts unless the seller foolishly doesn't set a minimum. But I doubt that Toys McCoy's going price will dramatically lessen in the long run. Then maybe I might be biased because I have it, along with the horse, which together cost me around $500 (that should be lower since I passed on the 1,000 limited run of the horse at its original price of $100 and ended up paying $240 two years later). I freed Indy and the horse from their boxes like my other figures, but based on the level of quality that's admittedly lesser for the horse and the distinction these pieces hold in the 1/6 universe, I still think that my hard earned money was well spent.

But don't get me wrong, I'm sure to get every figure Sideshow makes in their Indy line, which is saying a lot consider that I've dramatically reduced my 1/6 figure purchases in recent years.

Last edited:
You people sure have a lot of confidence in SS. After the disappointment I had in Sara Conner I am not holding my breath expecting this sculpt to be any better than the other Harrison Ford sculpts SS has done. Ford is obviously a tough portrait to capture. And why does anyone think that SS is going to make any kind of priority out of "raising the bar" on the quality of this figure? I don't expect to see more than 3 characters out of this line (Indy Jr. and Sr., maybe Marion) before it's dropped like everything else has been. I wouldn't be surprised if they picked up the license just to prevent someone else from getting it. Oh, I'll buy them all, but I'm already planning to book a sculptor to redo the stuff I'm not happy with, and to make a Sallah, Marcus Brody, and Shortround.

I totally disagree with you on the sculpt. It will be exceptional, maybe one of the best Indy's ever. Paint apps, outfit, etc.? Well, that's another story.

I totally disagree with you on the sculpt. It will be exceptional, maybe one of the best Indy's ever. Paint apps, outfit, etc.? Well, that's another story.

Well, we do have the headsculpt prototype to judge that on. Let's just hope that it comes out at the right size.

As long as he doesn't come out like that awesome Faramir and the leather jacket is made from a better material than T2 Terminator, the Indy figure should be the best one made. And prolly better than some customs.

Sideshow used to be the one setting the standards. That ship has sailed.

That is a 100% true statement.

I can only hope that Sideshow HIGHLY LACKING quality control can keep Indy from turning into a huge dissapointment.

Don't think Sideshow can't meet expectations or, indeed, surpass them. Sideshow have put out some fantastic figures. Washington, Edward Teach, too many figures to mention here. Were they big sellers? Not necessarily.

I have to submit that I would be surprised if the boots were leather and had laces, or if the accessories were metal. They aren't known for that. Seeing how some unknown obscure company can bring out the Relic Hunter at a low price point, I reckon Sideshow can do better. This is a dream license, that collectors have been wishing someone would get for over a decade. There is a great deal of discerning eyes watching and waiting. Alot of disillusionment will be created if they don't come up with something that meets expectations.

Their collusion with Hot Toys may see quality control met. Tailoring standards met. I see things happening that are only just now being planned or started, slam dunked by the time this figure hits pre-order status. I want them to succeed. Not moan about past experiences and what other companies can and can't do.

The figs that lured me to Sideshow is their Platoon figures and military figures..

Top notch soldiers there for great retail prices too.

What would be the minimum selling price for a Toys Mccoy Indiana never displayed?

I have an unopened McCoy INDY too. I'm gonna hold on to it. It's a great piece to have. Sure, the value will drop when the SS Indy debuts, and then in a few years the McCoy will be vintage and the price will soar again. People love the original vintage stuff.

Only 3,000 McCoys and never re-released. The SS Indy will have 10,000 pieces or more, plus possible variants and customs all over ebay. I think the McCoy will hold its value in the long run. It's a classic from a time gone by... and packaged beautifully.

I think that Sideshow will be able to make a convincingly accurate jacket. It doesn't need to made of leather, like the Toys McCoy or Relic Hunter, either.

Has anyone seen the Sovereign Studios Indy? https://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_062303b.htm
If I'm not mistaken, the jacket is some kind of wool, but it looks like weathered leather.

And the boots don't need to be leather. The Toys McCoy boots were sculpted rubber, and they are the best I've seen. They even beat the NewLine Miniature boots, which I own.

And the pants might not match the quality of the Relic Hunter, but I have confidence that they will satisfy.

I am a little worried about the whip. Both the Toys McCoy and Relic Hunter used real leather to some success. But look at the Sovereign Studios whip, rope (or some sort of cord), and it looks more in scale than the TM or RH.

I really don't think the Sideshow will disappoint. I have high hopes.

Back