Will the PT be loved more or hated more after TFA releases?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope. Something being bad doesn't make something else better. The PT is just bad and even if Force Awakens was terrible it wouldn't magically improve the PT and make them more loved. It would just be like Terminator which has more bad movies than it does good ones.

from all the reviews and all the talk around the net.

This movie will be MORE hated after everyone sees Force Awakens, the entire trilogy is being seen with harsher eyes.

all reviews start with "MUCH BETTER THan THE PREQUELS" almost all the reviews I have seen or read bring that point up during the review, or at the very beginning.

people are saying "This movie is so good, it is BETTER than episode 1 2 or 3)

So to answer the question made on the first post here, yeah... it looks like this movie shows even more how badly the prequels were

TFA will get bad reviews in retrospect once the hype is gone, It seems to me, the only reason this film is getting such positive reviews is because people want to love this film no matter what, and because they're judging it in comparison to what came previously, so by comparison, this film looks much better than it really is. Most of the positive reviews that I've seen, say this film is fine....but if this was any other movie, people wouldn't be so forgiving, which is why I think in a few years, people's opinion of this film will change. It'll never be as bad as the prequels, but it won't be 94% on RT good...which is silly, considering how the original SW film has a 93% or 94%...which is an original film, not a modern copy/tribute, which is what TFA seems to be in many ways.

TFA will get bad reviews in retrospect once the hype is gone, It seems to me, the only reason this film is getting such positive reviews is because people want to love this film no matter what, and because they're judging it in comparison to what came previously, so by comparison, this film looks much better than it really is. Most of the positive reviews that I've seen, say this film is fine....but if this was any other movie, people wouldn't be so forgiving, which is why I think in a few years, people's opinion of this film will change. It'll never be as bad as the prequels, but it won't be 94% on RT good...which is silly, considering how the original SW film has a 93% or 94%...which is an original film, not a modern copy/tribute, which is what TFA seems to be in many ways.

You're wrong!

Hmm, think you're being a little cynical, CP, and you offer nothing to justify your opinion. Have you seen it? If so, why do you think reviews will change? Just b/c critics are SO in love with a franchise that was disgraced after the prequels? If anything, negative reviews would be the easy mark, not positive. People love to see juggernauts like this fail. Reviews I've read and watched have all seemed very genuinely excited about what they saw. I don't think that can be entirely internally driven. Sure seem sure of yourself, though!

PS - And if opinion doesn't change by December 16th, 2018, I expect to see you post a full apology in this very thread! *calendar pads to check*

I think he could be right merely by observation that this seems to be the pattern with any hugely successful and initially well-reviewed movie - a backlash follows. Titanic, Avatar, The Avengers to name a few. People now routinely say that those are crap or average films - rightly or wrongly is beside the point, it happens. So yeah I won't be surprised if Clown Prince is proven correct here.

Hmm, think you're being a little cynical, CP, and you offer nothing to justify your opinion. Have you seen it? If so, why do you think reviews will change? Just b/c critics are SO in love with a franchise that was disgraced after the prequels? If anything, negative reviews would be the easy mark, not positive. People love to see juggernauts like this fail. Reviews I've read and watched have all seemed very genuinely excited about what they saw. I don't think that can be entirely internally driven. Sure seem sure of yourself, though!

PS - And if opinion doesn't change by December 16th, 2018, I expect to see you post a full apology in this very thread! *calendar pads to check*

Nah, people want this film to succeed no matter what, just like Indy 4 and Phantom Menace ...which is why a lot of critics were hesitant to give it a negative review initially. I'm not putting this film on the same level as the prequels or Indy 4, but considering how predictable this film is, and how it rehashes so much from the OT, if it was any other franchise, critics would be less forgiving...look at Age of Ultron. Give it more time, when Attack of the Clones was being called better than Empire Strikes Back, I don't think people disliked Phantom. Still, I expected and I said plenty of times this film would get really good reviews...and that was long before any trailer was out, so so far, I'm right. Time will tell. I might still be proven wrong...there are currently 181 reviews counted, and most films get over 300 reviews, so who knows how non SW fans will critique this film. Even other modern films that get great reviews initially seem to get negative criticism in retrospect.

Who even really gives a ****? What matters is what YOU think when you walk out of that theater. The internet brings all kinds of morons with opinions and most of these reviewers are as well. That's why i only cared what a few select thought. As far as how this film will be regarded in a few years? It'll probably be ****in known as the film that brought SW back if anything!!!

We frickin deserve this movie after the prequels enjoy it DAMN!

Who even really gives a ****? What matters is what YOU think when you walk out of that theater. The internet brings all kinds of morons with opinions and most of these reviewers are as well. That's why i only cared what a few select thought. As far as how this film will be regarded in a few years? It'll probably be ****in known as the film that brought SW back if anything!!!

We frickin deserve this movie after the prequels enjoy it DAMN!

As a casual SW fan, it makes no difference to me whether or not it gets good reviews from those who are big SW fans, like the Collider guys. I'm just giving an opinion and providing an observation in a movie forum. It seems you're the one upset with the idea of this film receiving any negative criticism, despite your advice about not caring about anyone's opinion except my own opinion.

I'm not sure this is the SW film that SW fans deserve, maybe just the one SW fans need right now.

Opinions are opinions, I will like or dislike the movie based entirely on one opinion, my own. What I don't understand is why there are a few select people who have a hope or need for this film to be bad, as though it would prove something and bring them some kind of perverse satisfaction. These people must be a blast at parties.

Batman v superman, star wars, avengers, whatever the movie might be, why would anybody hope for a bad film?

I don't know, I might need to take a break from this board, too many people that thrive on negativity for a movie they haven't even seen yet.

Personally, I love a good debate or discussion about a movie, as long as its intelligent and based upon something. Not speculation.

Jurassic World still holds 71% on RT. I think in one year TFA be even or below par cause ROTS has 79% still after a decade.

I really enjoyed TFA, but I don't think any of the sequels will be up there with the OT for me. I'm not even a die hard Star Wars fan overall, they're just films I watched growing up and I really enjoyed them.

I think one thing I just felt sad about watching TFA was seeing Han and Leia aged as they have. To me Carrie is barely recognisable as Leia. I don't know it's just the fact that it's so long after ROTJ and I kind of wish it hadn't been so long afterwards.

Sometimes it's just good to remember characters as they were and imagine what happened to them down the line. Now we have this new film that shows us exactly where these characters end up going in their lives.

Anyway I enjoyed the film more than the PT.

I think he could be right merely by observation that this seems to be the pattern with any hugely successful and initially well-reviewed movie - a backlash follows. Titanic, Avatar, The Avengers to name a few. People now routinely say that those are crap or average films - rightly or wrongly is beside the point, it happens. So yeah I won't be surprised if Clown Prince is proven correct here.

The thing about Titanic and Avatar especially is that they have no real substance beyond spectacle. I thought both movies were mind-blowing on first viewing, but on the second viewing I couldn't believe how many issues they had.

I've only seen The Force Awakens once, so maybe my take on it will change on repeat viewings - but it delivers on many fronts.

Much of the magic of the OT comes from having seen them in the 70s, and as kids - when they delivered original, technically superlative storytelling. The latest instalment could never hope to recreate the magic of that era - but it does present a very faithful and worthy successor to the OT in many respects. The idea that it's getting a free pass from reviewers and movie-goers because it's not as bad as the PT, or because people want it to be good, may have some truth in it - but my take is that it's getting good reviews because it is a good film.

Movie is 95% after 180+ reviews... it'll drop around 5-6% max if at all, it never drops that drastically.

Haters are always louder...

There is that chance..... Personally I am proud to say that I have never liked Avatar (and I think it dserves the backlash), Titanic was good but not 11 oscars good, and Avengers AOU is crap but I still think the first one is great.

Having said that.... I think the majority of the time films get what they deserve with the passage of time. John Carpenter's The Thing was a bomb at the box office and with critics. Now it;s an all time classic. It's just my opinion but I think Avatar and Titanic are getting the backlash they deserve.

There is every chance that people love the new SW film purly for the reason that it is not the PT.... Many people were that way with AOTC simpley because it was not TPM.... Time however seems to have mny saying AOTC is the worst one.

When I first saw PT I forced myself to give them good reviews..... But I was still disapointed and told people as much... This one seems to be getting much more posative feedback then the PT.

A far as Clown Prince stating peoples love for TFA going down becasue it is a retread of ANH.... Well people still love T2 and that is a retread of T1. But it i a quality film. So time has been kind... If TFA is a quality film it will stand the test of time.

Avatar was in the 80% when it came out. Still in the 80%...

AOU was also getting less than stellar % when it came out.

It'll will only be fair to judge the new trilogy once it's complete. TFA was a big step in the right direction and there is so much potential going forward. If the characters are handled right and are developed well the new trilogy has the potential to be another memorable SW trilogy for the old and new generation.

Back