Will TDK go down in history as a classic?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will The Dark Knight go down in history as a classic

• Yes

Votes: 167 81.1%
  • No

Votes: 39 18.9%

• Total voters
I voted yes (of course) and there are many factors involved. It WAS an excellent film for starters but also, Heath gave a legendary performance and was awarded for it. The film made a ton of money. The direction was near flawless and the score was also uplifting. Do I need to go on?

Classic? Absolutely!

I voted yes (of course) and there are many factors involved. It WAS an excellent film for starters but also, Heath gave a legendary performance and was awarded for it. The film made a ton of money. The direction was near flawless and the score was also uplifting. Do I need to go on?

Classic? Absolutely!

:exactly::exactly::exactly:

No. Its hyped right now because its fresh but the reality is as long as they are making movies they'll be doing Batman, Superman, Spider-Man movies etc. especially with the progression of technology making the genre easier to do.

It will go down as a favorite of many but then again there are Keatonites who love that line and even some Westons who pine for the 60s era. Just like they'll be Reeveians and Baleanites and even some Routhians and Wellingites, it'll go down as a favorite in a niche category but not enough to make it an overall classic IMHO.

no..
it's a good movie don't get me wrong..but how many batman movies did we have before we have gotten to this one..6 ,7 what i can't remember. the performances are subpar. yeah heath ledger died.. he got his postumous award because hollywood felt guilty,would he have gotten it if he had lived..the movie made alot of money .but this movie is not a classic or a great one..too fans of batman it will live on. to true movie fans and aficionado's..no..it's a movie fanchsie that jumped the shark along time ago and does not no how to go away..not that this is fans fault.it's hollywoods for not making good movies or looking at new scripts. sequels, prequels and remakes will sink hollywood.this is just my opinion...

no..
it's a good movie don't get me wrong..but how many batman movies did we have before we have gotten to this one..6 ,7 what i can't remember. the performances are subpar. yeah heath ledger died.. he got his postumous award because hollywood felt guilty,would he have gotten it if he had lived..the movie made alot of money .but this movie is not a classic or a great one..too fans of batman it will live on. to true movie fans and aficionado's..no..it's a movie fanchsie that jumped the shark along time ago and does not no how to go away..not that this is fans fault.it's hollywoods for not making good movies or looking at new scripts. sequels, prequels and remakes will sink hollywood.this is just my opinion...

Thats just ridiculous.

no..

Who else was better deserving of that award at the time? It wasnt even close regardless if he was alive or not. It depends what defines a classic, a performance that people wont forget? I think so...........

Actually it isn't. Hollywood has a tendancy to make up botched calls in the Oscars. Which is why some of the wins are a bit headscratching. Heath Ledger was nominated for Brokeback Mountain in 2005/2006. A lot of crap was caught that Hoffman won for Capote instead of Ledger or Phoenix for Walk the Line as both were regarded as better performance from most critics. They basically did the same thing giving it to Alan Arkin for Little Miss Sunshine because he was snubbed before. Ledger was up against
Philip Seymour Hoffman in Doubt and Michael Shannon in Revolutionary Road which were both critically acclaimed. We love Ledger as the Joker because we are all nerds and he did fantastically but his Oscar win was majorly helped by his death.

no..

"Oh I'm sorry I had forgotten that you were there. You may go now."

162267~Val-Kilmer-Tombstone-Posters.jpg

no..

Absolute total Bull ____. One thing to say that led to some of the people going to see the film that may not have.

But he got the award because like Christoph Waltz, he, a supporting character, delivered a blow you away performance that outshined anyone else in the film.

This is a really tough question, because A) the movie is so new; and B) we are all comic book geeks :lol

BUT, I voted yes. I just re-watched it yesterday, and it is just a brilliantly conceived film. Trying to view it objectively, I think it is as well planned, shot, and acted as just about any great film of the last 30 or so years. Purely as a film, based on the merits of what makes good dramatic film (in my opinion), I think it is easily the greatest comic book film by a mile. Others have certain parts that stick out as making them special, but none of the others (Superman, Burton Batman, X-2, Spiderman 2, etc.) had everything come together where you could imagine one of those seriously competing for, say, an Academy Award. In certain years, I could imagine Dark Knight taking that award.

It is easy to dismiss the Ledger award because of the hype and his death, but it was a genuinely brilliant performance IMO. Even if that other stuff played a role in his being awarded, merit played a big part, as well.

No. Its hyped right now because its fresh but the reality is as long as they are making movies they'll be doing Batman, Superman, Spider-Man movies etc. especially with the progression of technology making the genre easier to do.

It will go down as a favorite of many but then again there are Keatonites who love that line and even some Westons who pine for the 60s era. Just like they'll be Reeveians and Baleanites and even some Routhians and Wellingites, it'll go down as a favorite in a niche category but not enough to make it an overall classic IMHO.

:lecture:lecture:lecture Though I'd add that without Ledger death hype, any further Bale Batmans will struggle to surpass TDK.

I wouldn't dismiss Ledger's performance, he was fantastic IMHO the Best Joker we've seen in any medium and a performance that I'm sure will be attempted to be copied for years to come but traditionally the Academy doesn't give these awards to Comic or Fantasy genres and I believe that many voters especially the older members of the Academy who usually scoff at the genre were pushed by his death and all the hype about the film. He had stiff competition from even Brolin in Milk that was again receiving a lot of buzz but everyone knew going in he'd get it and that wasn't just because of his talent.

Back