Will Sideshow tank entirely because of the economy?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crystal ball says SS will not tank. Ressession has made changes in my ordering from them. Had to pass on Res Dogs, Some Dead figs & PF Moria Orc. That really hurt. I am happy to have 12" Indy & PF Indy.

There are a lot of factors that definitely affect them, but license fees probably aren't one of them. Although the moves towards non-licensed items puts more in their pocket per item over licensed product. Of course you're usually going to sell a lot less of a non-licensed item too.

With the economy tanking in China and the factories closing, I'm sure that the ones still standing can set their own prices. But SSC has been passing on the cost increases to the consumer so they should be okay there.

They may tighten the belt - not develop items that they aren't SURE will be hits - but hopefully once the economy turns around they'll return to business as usual.

I've cut back on buying the 1/6 scale figures and some of the dioramas I would like to have owned, but I am still buying the Premium Format figures and select statues from some of my favorite product lines. I was going to cancel some orders but they offered me a flexpay option and I took it. I think Sideshow will survive. The economy will get better and all will be well. It wouldn't hurt them to have some product sitting on the shelves. Like everyone else, they may need to lower their price point.

I am resisting the GI Jone line cos I can't afford them on top of SW and Indy. I'll *see* if I can keep the purchases all down to about 1 a month. That'll be my New Year's Resolution. I just started collecting this summer, so I had a lot of catching up to do. After the holidays (thanks to my wife for a few Christmas gifts), I *should* be fairly caught up and only need to focus on new releases.

Sideshow probably won't tank. But I do see them slowing down on new releases a fair bit. This is natural considering that most people tend to buy less in a slowdown when everything concerning finance is uncertain.

I myself have started to buy less and be more selective but I am still buying. And one thing, I try to buy Sideshow-produced items more rather than Hot Toys because I believe Sideshow make money from me when I buy Sideshow products rather than Hot Toys products since they are only a Distributor for Hot Toys. Nothing like supporting some home-grown businesses during uncertain times.

SS won't tank. You can definetly tell that the economy is hurting them, as it is EVERY business. Since alot of there sure fire sell out products aren't selling out and there having to push harder to try and sell. Consumers are holding onto there money tighter than ever, which they should. This recession will get worse before it gets better and its going to take a few YEARS before we see any change. I'm in Michigan and the economy here is absolutly a joke. Tens of thousands being laid off and countless plants and businesses closing. Now if the big 3 don't get the bridge loan and go into bankruptcy Michigan and the US will be highly screwed. I'm a shipping manager for a huge automotive parts supplier and I fear I won't have a job after the 1st of the year. Then my collecting days will be over.

Why hasn't this thread been locked yet? It's not really even relevant? :huh Something like this belongs in the Sandbox with the title, "How has the recession affected your collecting habits?" - Just my $1.05 :p

Why hasn't this thread been locked yet? It's not really even relevant? :huh Something like this belongs in the Sandbox with the title, "How has the recession affected your collecting habits?" - Just my $1.05 :p

Addressing these kind of issues is more valuable than dismissing them out of hand.

I don't mean go bankrupt or dissolve as a company, but it certainly seems to be less enthusiatic about any new 1/6 items. There have been no more New Line or military figures, and its taking forever for the new Indy line to crawl into steady existence. Will Sideshow destroy its own 1/6 line?

The Indy line doesn't seem slow to me, but then again I'm a newb to Sideshow. 3 figures in a year seems like enough. That said, I hope the line does well because I really want to turn Sallah in Professor Arturo from Sliders (if they do decide to make a Sallah.)

I don't know if Sideshow's gonna tank or not, but if they do, so be it! I think they've been doing poor choices lately. I'm into 1/6, and obviously, they are not anymore! PF may look good (well, should, but it's not always the case!) but they are expensive, appeal to a smaller fringe of collectors, and they aren't half the fun 1/6 are. You can't pose them and they're just inanimate statues you won't even look at after a time when the dust has settled in.
Moreover, even without considering price issues, they are room consumming!
So Sideshow has picked the wrong niche for me. Long ago, I decided to limit my collection to 1/6. I've never crossed that line and never been tempted to cross it so far! Sure, sideshow makes more money selling PF or statues, but I'm ready to bet they sell less items... So if they tank, well I think they'll have to look in their mirror and think out what they did wrong!
That said, I hope they last and make it through the crisis. Who knows, it may even make them ponder their choices and return to what used to make them the greates toy company... in a distant past...

uhh... 1/6 are getting higher in price? they arent 69.00 another. The new stuff is 100-170.00 range. So sorry to say X2 and thats a price of the PF's. In defence to 1/6 though recent they have upped the scale with HT. DAMMM... ive scaled back PF's not because of price because of space!

With release like their latest Indiana Jone PF they should be able to stay strong even in these bad times.

Back