Will Hot Toys Clothes Take Dye?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Bat

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I was wondering if anybody could help me out. I want to dye the T-1000 HT Police pants from dark blue to black...does anybody know if the material will except dye?

I've customized many 8" Mego figures and some of the clothes will dye and others just won't.

If you use dye for polyester it will for certain. But disclaimer, it will dye everything else. I used it to make the Red Skull tunic green and HT dyed the piping and even the buttons.

If you use dye for polyester it will for certain. But disclaimer, it will dye everything else. I used it to make the Red Skull tunic green and HT dyed the piping and even the buttons.

Will this also dye the stitching?
Also what brand would you say is best?
Dylon does not work on stitching , so would Idye be more suitable?

It literally dyes everything. But it also can transfer to the figures so becareful. Any dying runs the risk if being absorbed by PVC. Just the way it is.

iDye Poly. Has to be Poly. Other is normal dye for natural fabrics.

243653-3-1.jpg

It literally dyes everything. But it also can transfer to the figures so becareful. Any dying runs the risk if being absorbed by PVC. Just the way it is.

iDye Poly. Has to be Poly. Other is normal dye for natural fabrics.

243653-3-1.jpg

Ok thanks buddy , so even if you rinse the excess dye off it still rubs of onto the body?

It did on my Red Skull. I even washed the clothing with laundry detergent several times and still got transfer around the neck. Could be more places under the clothing that I don't know about.

I had to go back in and paint the piping, Hydra emblem, and even the buttons.
RedSkull-1.jpg

Last edited:
It did on my Red Skull. I even washed the clothing with laundry detergent several times and still got transfer around the neck. Could be more places under the clothing that I don't know about.

I had to go back in and paint the piping, Hydra emblem, and even the buttons.
RedSkull-1.jpg

Looks stunning , I'm not too concerned about it going on the body it is the head I'm concerned about.
Does it also come of on your hands ?
Or does it just sort of leech over time on plastics?
As I don't want the back of my Michael Myers neck blue you see

Once cleaned and dry, it will not affect your hands. PVC absorbs dye really easy as we even see it in HT figures. If the head is resin, then that is different. I would test it on a scrap piece of fabric and then sit the bottom of the neck on it and see what happens.

I like your post very much,it seems that it is very kind of you.would you be my friend,hope your response.

What if I want to make Coulson's suit and make it gray? Should I bleach it then dye it gray? Will it ruin the fabric's texture? Remove buttons?

I just bleached clothes.
Certain clothes just won't bleach , so I boiled them on the stove with half bleach half water.
And for some reason made the material very weak meaning it tore like toilet tissue , but bleached it white:rotfl

You can do the same with no issue in just cold water 50/50 with bleach.
I tried black suit pants as I wanted them grey and bleach done nothing neither did boiling them:slap

Back