Why was Qui-Gon Jinn, NOT in Revenge of the sith?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And if the change seems crappy, they can always take it back, like adding ROTJ Emperor yelling to Luke's ESB fall for the SE and removing it for the DVD release.

I always felt having Qui-Gon be the one to teach Yoda about the Force spirit matter was forced, it didn't feel like a natural way to me but just a means to keep Qui-Gon somehow in the story. It would have been better if it was something Yoda somehow secretly learned, felt was too powerful for anyone to use and kept to himself, but in seeing the dark times ahead, decided it could prove usefull for he and Obi-Wan to know the secret in order to restore balance to the galaxy.

That said, since Qui-Gon was the path chosen, I do think some element needs to be in the movie, even if just dialogue, it would add to it all.

I felt it to be right on the money..

qui-gon was the maverick loner jedi.. I'm pretty sure his insights on the living force and the moment would have led him to learning DIFFERENT skills. Thus proving he would have been the first to learn the spirit force thing. Not yoda whom always went by the books.

I guess part of my POV on this issue comes from having read some of the tossed around ideas for how Yoda and Ben would come to be the only ones to know how to do this trick, and it seemed like Lucas got to ROTS and went "****, I need something to explain this." Had somehow the concept been alluded to in TPM it might have felt more natural to me, like an insinuation comment from Qui-Gon to Obi-Wan about more lessons he'd yet to learn or something like that.

As an art director in my "real" life, I had a unique privilege to read the Episode III script almost a year in advance of the release of the film (at Skywalker Ranch, no less – one of the greatest moments of my geek life). My favorite scene on paper was the brief exchange between Yoda and Qui-Gon, in a moment that truly tied both sagas together for me. I remember mentioning to Howard Roffman (President of Lucas Licensing) how powerful that scene was (and then we got into a debate about the whole "Leia remembering her mother even though Padme died just moments after birth" bit).

I was so heartbroken when I sat at my first screening of the film and noticed that scene had been cut. What a wasted opportunity!!! :monkey2

I understand Lucas' concern with pace and not wanting to bore the audience and such, which is a good thing at times, but I think he doesn't have a good awareness for good pace breaking and bad pace breaking. I don't think the end of ROTS had to roll as fast as it did, having a dialogue scene cut it would have been fine, especially this particular dialogue, fans would have enjoyed it and it wouldn't have bothered people. The same reason was used to cut Yoda's Dagobah landing, it was short enough it could have been left in, wouldn't have hurt the end at all.

I guess part of my POV on this issue comes from having read some of the tossed around ideas for how Yoda and Ben would come to be the only ones to know how to do this trick, and it seemed like Lucas got to ROTS and went "****, I need something to explain this." Had somehow the concept been alluded to in TPM it might have felt more natural to me, like an insinuation comment from Qui-Gon to Obi-Wan about more lessons he'd yet to learn or something like that.
the problem is lucas trying to explain everything in his films like he thinks the audience is too dumb to figure it out. i didnt enjoy all the linking material at the end of ROTS. i wish he would have left some of it a mystery. we didnt need to see the birth of luke and leia. we know it happens. he could have left the whole twins thing a secret so it doesnt cheapen the surprises in the OT if new fans watch the movies in actual order. in fact i would have been happy if he left the whole fate of padme up in the air. then if peolpe watch the movies in order they wouldnt really know that luke was vader's son. they could think hes just some farmboy relative of Owen and Beru. they could also wonder if vader really killed padme or not. just my opinion feel free to disagree.

got this online from two sources.. who can confirm?

Qui-Gon Jinn was portrayed by Liam Neeson in The Phantom Menace. His voice was used briefly in Attack of the Clones, and was provided by Fred Tatasciore for Star Wars: Clone Wars. Neeson was slated to appear as Qui-Gon in Revenge of the Sith, however he was injured in a motorcycle accident which prevented him from appearing in the film

I thought that Neeson didn't do the voice-over because he was filming Batman Begins. I thought that it would have been added into the dvd.

I thought Neeson had a terrible experience on TPM, and when it turned out to be such a train wreck of a film he wanted nothing to do with the rest of the series, similar to how Portman and McGregor both said that they were embarrassed by the final outcome of the PT.

I don't have a problem with Qui-Gon being the one to discover it, I think it fits in nicely with his character and his different take on the Force. But my reaction was similar like Lucas thought "crap, I forgot to come up with a reason that Qui-Gon didn't disappear." I think that Qui-Gon not disappearing is supposed to be the allusion, it just didn't turn out as well.

in fact i would have been happy if he left the whole fate of padme up in the air. then if peolpe watch the movies in order they wouldnt really know that luke was vader's son. they could think hes just some farmboy relative of Owen and Beru. they could also wonder if vader really killed padme or not. just my opinion feel free to disagree.

My only problem with that would be that I love the closing scene of ROTS with Beru holding Luke while Owen stands on the sand dune looking at the sunset with Obi-Wan standing back. To me it's a great scene and really bridges the two trilogies.

Maulfan commented: "Had somehow the concept been alluded to in TPM it might have felt more natural to me, like an insinuation comment from Qui-Gon to Obi-Wan about more lessons he'd yet to learn or something like that."

"Be mindful of the living force. my young padawan"

I'd say the hint was there.
I remember reading that Yoda/ Qui-Gon meditation scene in the Stover novelization and really looking forward to seeing that onscreen...I was disappointed it was gone, especially after Yoda hears Qui-Gon cry out in the force during Anakin's rage attack in AOTC.

As far as the movie is concerned...Oz apparently did his lines for the scene with a "stand-in" voice doing Neeson's part, and the scene stayed in the cut almost to the end. (McCallum mentions this in one of his interviews in SW Insider a while back) But as we all know now, Lucas likes to tinker with the cut until the last possible moment (hence a kid with a really bad wig in TPM and temp-music hell in AOTC's last few reels) and the scene became a cutting room victim, even before the time would have come to have Neeson hit a studio to do his voiceover.
Tom's right...a future cut could feature this pivitol scene with little fuss. Neeson could record his lines, ILM can work their digital magic with Yoda and BAM! We;d have a great scene to further enhance ROTS...

I don't find the mindful of the living force comment to have anything to do with the Force spirit, meerly establish teacher and student with Qui-Gon reminding Obi-Wan he should be mindful of the Force and not his own feelings, much like the Emperor to Vader in Jedi, "I wonder if your feelings on this matter are clear, Lord Vader." It seems that being truly in touch with the Force requires a great deal of discipline to forgo one's own thoughts and feelings and clearly hear the will of the Force.

I can see where the comment JB is talking about somehow tying in with Qui-Gon becoming a Force Spirit. It really comes down to a matter of interpretation.

Like I said, my issue with it is knowing it wasn't the plan from the start of Episode I and that it got thought of in the Ep3 process when suddenly things had to all be tied up, but that's my feeling on the reason for it being there. As far as it being there in the film, I feel like most, that Neeson should be thrown in because it feels only half executed instead of given 100%, and perhaps seeing it fully carried out would change my feelings about it's conception.

I can see where the comment JB is talking about somehow tying in with Qui-Gon becoming a Force Spirit. It really comes down to a matter of interpretation.

For me, that's half the fun...taking something from these movies that may seem a little vague on the surface, and putting your own interpretation on it to give it a different context. That's why that line works as an opening for Qui-Gon's "next step" for me...

No wrong or right here...with anyone's take on it.

That's why I love the fact that the PT was made, opens up your ability to experience the OT in a whole new way.

And...I'd still like to see that Qui-Gon scene re-inserted in a release of ROTS someday!

I'm sure it'll happen. Despite George seeming to finally have everything at his disposal to make his vision everything he wanted it to be, I'm sure he'll find something else down the road inspiring to further his film to what he thinks it should be. I wouldn't be surprised he updates ROTS for the eventual HD release.

I thought Neeson had a terrible experience on TPM, and when it turned out to be such a train wreck of a film he wanted nothing to do with the rest of the series, similar to how Portman and McGregor both said that they were embarrassed by the final outcome of the PT.

That is not true. Neeson had a bad experience playing Qui-Gon because he was not used to work in front of a blue screen. He loves the Saga. In fact, he was ready to reprise his Qui-Gon rol for Ep3, but Lucas chaged his mind about that scene.

Star Wars alums Neeson and Jackson both offered hints that George Lucas has shot a top-secret cameo of Neeson as Qui-Gon Jinn's ghost, à la Alec Guinness, for May's Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. "I can't speak about it," Neeson joked. "Jedi code of ethics."

https://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2005-01-09-palm-springs_x.htm?csp=34

Back