why so many sell off their collections!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cultpredator

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Hi

Just wondering what people thought about this, I see so many people getting into the hobby of collecting figures staues etc but then off load so many of their collection??

is it the inital impulse by of getting the new thing and then realise it was not that important or just financial trouble..just interested cause everyday someone new wants to sell their stuff.

David

Whenever I sell off a chunk of my collection it's because of:

- loss of interest
- lack of display space
- sudden need of money to pay off bills or to save for something more important

Refocussing. Sometimes we let ourselves go overboard and stretch our collecting horizons out too much. It ends up being too costly to keep up with it all.

And/Or you find yourself getting married, when you're saving for the wedding you just don't know if you'll be able to justify any purchases. You'd rather sell off a bunch of stuff rather than having an incomplete collection and/or you'd rather sell off a bunch of stuff you're less fussed about if it means the slightest chance that you might still be able to get some of the things you really want whilst also saving money.

Whenever I sell off a chunk of my collection it's because of:

- loss of interest
- lack of display space
- sudden need of money to pay off bills or to save for something more important

Yep........................add need money to buy the latest /greatest HT figures...

In my case...interest changes. A few weeks ago I was happy to just have Batman, Spider-man and Punisher figures. Now I'm almost done all the Ironman suits and doing kitbash Wolverine(s) in addition to the other 3. It's a damn sickness.

In my case...interest changes. A few weeks ago I was happy to just have Batman, Spider-man and Punisher figures. Now I'm almost done all the Ironman suits and doing kitbash Wolverine(s) in addition to the other 3. It's a damn sickness.

It is..........after DKR and the watching of the other Nolan Batmans I just realized they are my favorites and left me deeply impressed that I'll feel the same about them for years to come....Iron Man got tossed out

It is..........after DKR and the watching of the other Nolan Batmans I just realized they are my favorites and left me deeply impressed that I'll feel the same about them for years to come....Iron Man got tossed out

Then IM3 will come out and you'll say "I've made a huge mistake" and buy them back. Then the Batman reboot will come out and you won't care as much for the Nolan figures. Don't be upset though, it's just the way it has to be.

I imagine some people go too deep down the rabbit hole. They spend more than they should, they get addicted, and then feel they need to go to the other extreme and go cold turkey.

Usually the only things I sell off are figures I got that I really can't stand or they just don't display well with anything else. An example is Xavier from First Class. I like the figure, probably going to get it, and he'll probably set in the box until a Magneto comes out. A couple years down the road no Magneto and he'll probably get sold. :rotfl

Refocussing right now.
Ever since SS got the DC license I decided to start selling Marvel AND vested interest in ARH Studios products so I will have more coming in and must make room. I am also buying more HT at the moment.
I think its ok if you get the urge to do so. It helps other have a few sought after statues and you make a small profit to finance the rest of your collection

I plan on selling some of my old PFs soon and sticking strictly to LotR PFs. I have 1/6 figures of the same characters and I don't need both.

For me its a lack of interest and not enough space. Up until the first stormtroopers started appearing, I collected every Sideshow Star Wars 1/6 figure, since I had no display space with my incoming purchases, most stayed in their shipping boxes but ended up giving away everything keeping only Darth Vader & Darth Maul. When I start on a hobby, I usually buy everything I can see but after the initial excitement dissipates, I end up selecting what I truly want to keep. These days I just choose a figure based on quality like Hot Toys, Enterbay or Art Figures. My goal is to have a collection displaying my favorite movie icon figures in 3 Detolfs cases like I've seen from other collectors in this forum.

Last edited:
most of it seems to be lack of space,interest,bills or better figures coming out.

I just wondered what peoples opinions where on it..because I know myself having a few peices that it can get addicting, there can be a lack of space and yet I do wonder for the day if an emergency did come up and had to selll them.. so im like gezz do I bother or what ha

great to hear though other peoples because it do and is happening with peoples collections.. I think one person said they would rather die then depart with their collection ha

Back