Why does Sideshow stuff increase in value

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Basically because Sideshow stuff is/was unique.

There are probably a thousand statues and bust that have been done over the years., literally a thousand or more.

On the other hand Sideshow was the only company doing dios and mixed media.

In a few years when other companies catch up with Sideshow and the market is flooded with dios, 1:1 busts, and mixed media, things may change.

SS Marvel statues are exceptionally well done and the fact that most PF's and comiquettes are done in 1/4 scale makes them more unique and better bang for the buck.
Plus a smaller ES as compared to other companies doesn't hurt either.

sideshow's strength is sometimes the reason some criticise them

What other company would have the balls to pair up hulk vs spidey dio or use that particular look of thor

unique pieces that other companies wouldn't risk IMO but sideshow have faith in their sculptors & art design to do it

Before Sideshow got into Marvel, Bowen's Marvel pieces appreciated greatly. Something "better" came along with Sideshow. 10 years from now some one on these boards might be asking the same question posed about Bowen and Hard Hero about Sideshow. Although I hope not.

Before Sideshow got into Marvel, Bowen's Marvel pieces appreciated greatly. Something "better" came along with Sideshow. 10 years from now some one on these boards might be asking the same question posed about Bowen and Hard Hero about Sideshow. Although I hope not.

I haven't followed the market that long. Did Bowen's pieces actually drop in value once Sideshow got in the game?

Also, why do you think the appreciation has been pretty limited to Marvel? I haven't seen Star Wars appreciate that much.

Bowen has many re-makes, i.e different renditions, era, variant pose. This sometimes causes the original statue drop in prices. Just hope SS keep the edition size still limited as collectible. Now, when is Thor PF gonna be made :chew

Probably so we can all increase our post count and make "for sale" threads?!

:huh :dunno :huh

Maybe it seems the money is in sideshow. Look at the collectors, sideshows collectors will pay up to 500+ for a staute. Some of up will come from another line (preditor) (lotr) (starwars) where we've spend large amonuts of money on. the sideshow collectors have deeper pockets. Drive the price up on statues.

I collect both bowen and sideshow. and Hands DOWN sideshow nicer to look at and theres that WOW factor.

When you collect CM and MR stuff sideshow marvel is chump change!. hahahah.... Maybe also bowen produces 5 different wolverine statues at once! Oh ya a throws in a varient.

I hate that varient crap! thats how the comic book market BOMB back 5-10 years ago.

I haven't followed the market that long. Did Bowen's pieces actually drop in value once Sideshow got in the game?

Also, why do you think the appreciation has been pretty limited to Marvel? I haven't seen Star Wars appreciate that much.

I cannot say if its solely with Marvel, but maybe that particular vein just hasn't been tapped enuff yet. Plus Marvel has a huge fan base. I know Star Wars has been done to death. Their Lord of the Rings stuff is very expensive (or at least it was). Yes, Bowen prices have gone down. There was a time a green Hulk Mini bust brought $300. Now its around half that price. Some of this is due to Sideshow entering the game. Some is due to the market for statuary slowing, etc.

The problem is that if you want comic statues your choices are pretty limited then. No DC, and limited Marvel.

I sooo wish SSC could do DC stuff. I'm not much of a marvel fan so my choices are very limited like you said. At least they're doing SW PFs and dios.:cool:

All three companies you mentioned produce quality statues. I think the thing that is giving SS an advantage at the moment is the size of their statues. The 1/4 scale statues just make the smaller Bowen and HH statues look wimpy and has given the hobby and collectors something new to be excited about. Hard Hero produces nice statues but they are not really that different from Bowen statues who has a very strong and loyal fan following. It is tough to convince an old school collector to switch when the diffence is not that great.

I sooo wish SSC could do DC stuff. I'm not much of a marvel fan so my choices are very limited like you said. At least they're doing SW PFs and dios.:cool:

The DC Direct stuff is overpriced and some of it is terrible. Particularly their "Premium Format" stuff. I don't think they will ever give out a license for statues which is too bad because they have some iconic characters which I could see SS knocking out of the park.

The DC Direct stuff is overpriced and some of it is terrible. Particularly their "Premium Format" stuff. I don't think they will ever give out a license for statues which is too bad because they have some iconic characters which I could see SS knocking out of the park.

I agree... i wish sideshow had the DC license. imagine them making PFs of the big 3 (Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman)? I dont own a statue of any of these characters, because out of the dozens out there, imo, none have been worth purchasing (except MAYBE the wonder woman/hydra statue). I can only imagine the great things sideshow would do with these characters... =(

Hmm, i dont think its just 1/4 scale stuff look at the whole line... everything is strong.. look at sideshow VS stuff as an example... and then compare it to bowens spiderman vs venom. The art direction was horrible... it wasnt the modelers it was the choice of art. Although they took a risk, it wasnt marketed to the masses.

Back