Why does Sideshow stuff increase in value

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punkzip

Freakzoid
Reaction score
One thing I have found interested is that Sideshow is the only company that makes Marvel figures that have a reasonable chance of appreciation. Bowen rarely appreciates and is usually available at a discount on eBay. Hard Hero never appreciates and is often available at large discounts on eBay. Even the Hard Hero that is in limited edition does not appreciate. Bowen and Hard Hero do make some nice stuff though. Now Sideshow, even items that are not that limited like Doom can appreciate - granted Doom is an exceptional figure.

Sideshow's the best in the industry + are more limited.

Also, since Sideshow is an on-line based company, I think the internet community contributes a lot to the buzz of their pieces...

But Bowen and Hard Hero make some good stuff too. Hard Hero can make something in limited edition and its chance of appreciation is almost none.

They just make more dynamic pieces. The dios are very detailed and the PF style are not made by anyone else.

I love the dios, specially the Wolverine vs. Sabertooth.

I don't know any other company that goes deep in details like scar marks and wrinkles on the costume

I've seen Hard Hero's statue and for the price, I would rather get the Sideshow version.

For example:

Hard Hero Captain America

HARD%20HERO%20CAPTAIN%20AMERICA.jpg

Retail value - $199

Sideshow Captain America

Sideshow_Captain_America_Premium_Format_Statue_Exclusive-resized200.jpg

Retail value - $249

I think it's the novelty of the items. Bowen was doing Marvel long before SSC jumped in. But the dios and PFs are types of pieces that the Marvel community had never seen before and thus they became more popular. More popularity, limited edition sizes = value appreciation.

I think it's the novelty of the items. Bowen was doing Marvel long before SSC jumped in. But the dios and PFs are types of pieces that the Marvel community had never seen before and thus they became more popular. More popularity, limited edition sizes = value appreciation.

:lecture

and dont think folks, that one day Sideshow wont seem like yesterday's collectibles once another company hits a new niche.
Maintaining a fresh/new/innovative product is the key to staying on top in pretty much anything these days.

There are some Bowen pieces that have really gone up in value...just to name a few would bbe the FS Juggernaut and Destroyer Bust...I am sure there are many more...plus Bowen seems to crank this stuff out fairly quick. That being said..SS is better. :monkey3

:lecture

and dont think folks, that one day Sideshow wont seem like yesterday's collectibles once another company hits a new niche.
Maintaining a fresh/new/innovative product is the key to staying on top in pretty much anything these days.

I think it's likely that it will be SSC that hits that niche though. Look at the companies that are now copying the dioramas and PFs. SSC is ahead of the curve usually.

I think it's likely that it will be SSC that hits that niche though. Look at the companies that are now copying the dioramas and PFs. SSC is ahead of the curve usually.

yeah, thats what Im hoping.

I think one huge key to Sideshow's success has been their open mind to their artists' new concepts & ideas.
Which is also a key to keeping their artists. Just look at ol Bergholtz wanting back in the playground. :lol

A converse question might be why Hard Hero seems to depreciate in value so much. I personally think their stuff is nice. But they must be doing something wrong.

Back