Why do you collect statues/figures?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've collected toys since I was a child dating back to the 70's Kenner Star Wars toys.

Since I physically cannot be the characters I like, I at least want a small replica version of them. The overall quality, sculpt, paint, and accessories all combine why I like some over others! Looking at them in my home takes me a small step away from the boring real world.

I've always been a collector of some sort. When I was a child I had boxes filled with small toys that I got with candy.

I've always had this urge for obtaining things. Small things that hold some special meaning to me. It could be a small toy solder, an old Spider-man figure that was my favorite toy or a small souvenir that I brought with me from a holiday with my family.

With the danger of sounding a little pathetic, I have always been a loner-type kid. It's not that I didn't have any friends that I spoke with daily both at school but also outside school. Still, I had no trouble being on my own, entertaining myself with my toys, films or comic books. For this reason, I think my toys and other "objects" meant a lot to me, and persist in doing so to this day. I guess a lot of my friends would have no concerns when it came to getting rid of old toys and stuff - but I've always had a hard time doing that.

I guess this is reflected in my today as well. The fact that I collect these statues. I love to surround myself with these characters that I have grown up with. They symbolize worlds and universes that I desired to take part in. I did this through comics, books and films. To look upon these statues today gives me a strong feeling of nostalgia. It is also the power of association that I find pleasure in. They invoke warm memories and feelings from my childhood. They nourish my creativity and my ability to escape the triviality of every-day life.

So, collecting means a lot to me. It's a very personal thing for me.

I couldn't agree more with your words. I also want to add that I wish to give something to my kids. Something that is a part of me. Something they can enjoy after I am gone and see me in it everyday they look at it or use it. I take great pride as a father showing things I have obtained and will obtain along the way. I know how I felt as a kid seeing something come to life on the screen or when I took part in something that my father was interested in. I hope it spurs creativity, dreams, hopes, desires and all those wonderful emotions I had as a kid. Mushy I know but still an important aspect of collecting for me.

I also want to add that I wish to give something to my kids. Something that is a part of me. Something they can enjoy after I am gone and see me in it everyday they look at it or use it.

I'm more realistic, once I'm dead my family will go "what do we do with this crap?" & ebay all of it.

I've always been a collector of some sort. When I was a child I had boxes filled with small toys that I got with candy.

I've always had this urge for obtaining things. Small things that hold some special meaning to me. It could be a small toy solder, an old Spider-man figure that was my favorite toy or a small souvenir that I brought with me from a holiday with my family.

With the danger of sounding a little pathetic, I have always been a loner-type kid. It's not that I didn't have any friends that I spoke with daily both at school but also outside school. Still, I had no trouble being on my own, entertaining myself with my toys, films or comic books. For this reason, I think my toys and other "objects" meant a lot to me, and persist in doing so to this day. I guess a lot of my friends would have no concerns when it came to getting rid of old toys and stuff - but I've always had a hard time doing that.

I guess this is reflected in my today as well. The fact that I collect these statues. I love to surround myself with these characters that I have grown up with. They symbolize worlds and universes that I desired to take part in. I did this through comics, books and films. To look upon these statues today gives me a strong feeling of nostalgia. It is also the power of association that I find pleasure in. They invoke warm memories and feelings from my childhood. They nourish my creativity and my ability to escape the triviality of every-day life.

:goodpost: :clap:clap:clap

I'm more realistic, once I'm dead my family will go "what do we do with this crap?" & ebay all of it.

Your silly man,,,,, lol. They may do som but don't worry there may be something you have that your kids at least want to keep if they like something you like. I know there is a bunch of stuff of my fathers I know my brother and I are gonna fight over.

OCD personality + addictive personality + thrill of opening box + gorgeous piece of art + characters we know (some of us who collect know them) + thrill of shopping for and buying online = 1 very broke man/woman

That's why we do it, most of us...

Last edited:
OCD personality + addictive personality + thrill of opening box + gorgeous piece of art + characters we know + thrill of shopping for and buying online = 1 very broke man/woman

That's why we do it, most of us...

I would agree with that as well.

Your silly man,,,,, lol. They may do som but don't worry there may be something you have that your kids at least want to keep if they like something you like

I don't have kids, but my father is really into horses, & let me tell you that I have zero interest in horses & that I'm not gonna keep anything from him :)

For most people we're freaks collecting toys. I like to see what I buy as pieces of art, it's not because it was mass-produced that it's not art. Meanwhile people stare at canvases filled with gradients or shades of black (or sometimes puke or ****) & like to call it art.. that's when I'm glad I own stuff from those I consider "real artists".

This said, I now collect more for the collection itself, there's lot of stuff I haven't opened yet, and yet I'm glad I own it.

I agree with the above, except for "characters we know". I buy japanese figures mostly from animes I know nothing of. I really don't care if it's something I know, & that may be the part I don't like about this hobby, what's out there is really mostly "merchandising", & it's way too rare to see something unique, that's gorgeous all by itself. When it happens it's only because the sculptor's name is famous enough.

I don't have kids, but my father is really into horses, & let me tell you that I have zero interest in horses & that I'm not gonna keep anything from him :)

For most people we're freaks collecting toys. I like to see what I buy as pieces of art, it's not because it was mass-produced that it's not art. Meanwhile people stare at canvases filled with gradients or shades of black (or sometimes puke or ****) & like to call it art.. that's when I'm glad I own stuff from those I consider "real artists".

This said, I now collect more for the collection itself, there's lot of stuff I haven't opened yet, and yet I'm glad I own it.

I agree with the above, except for "characters we know". I buy japanese figures mostly from animes I know nothing of. I really don't care if it's something I know, & that may be the part I don't like about this hobby, what's out there is really mostly "merchandising", & it's way too rare to see something unique, that's gorgeous all by itself. When it happens it's only because the sculptor's name is famous enough.

I can totally relate. Well since you don't have kids one day you collection is gonna make someone really happy. I love sculpture. It's a wonderful form of art that was brought to my attention by my brother. Hope you get everything you want man. :duff

:goodpost: very true. Now when is talon PF getting there? :hi5:

Back