Why do you collect statues/figures?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Did a search I found some threads that are similar but there very old so I though Id post this.

I would say the main reason I still collect statues and the occasional 1/6th fig or 6 inch figure is that I like having a piece of a movie/video game/comic etc captured in 3 dimensions. The amount of detail in a well sculpted statue or figurine always fascinated me but there was always other underlying things that I was collecting for as well.

I remember when I first started collecting seriously, probably was 12/13 ; I felt like the movies and games I watched and played weren't exactly real in a physical concept of reality and I felt like there were pointless inherently, but having a fig representing some form of entertainment made them much more enjoyable to me.

It made them seem more relevant I guess. this sort of mentality lasted in me for a while up until I was like 17/18 when I started appreciating the statues more for the sculpt/characters exclusively and not as extensions to other things. Its sort of hard to explain but the point is I guess I felt like I was being compelled to collect, sort of like some hoarders mentality. A lot of things happened to me recently and I've realized all this materialism is irrelevant to me at the end of the day. These things are just luxuries to me now.

I've sold many of the statues I've owned and I take more of a minimalist approach to things now. I still collect albeit sparingly. I only bought maybe three statues last year and I was selling off other statues to pay for them. I appreciate the statues I have much more now and i'm not impulsive with my spending. i'm not sure if ill eventually stop completely but for now i'm content with the stuff I have and I don't worry too much if I miss out on some cool new statue that comes out.

TLDR, sorry

I'm a hoarder of brown boxes. I don't buy statues & figures. The boxes containing figures & statues are just bonus.

They are amazing pieces of art that tickle my eye ***** every time I look at them. Kinda like having a small museum dedicated to your interests in your own home.

The good thing for me is that I really got hooked on this hobby when I had kids so instead of going hog wild like I know I would have had I been single and without kids, I am just buying the main characters I fell in love with as a kid. I figure, by my estimation, I will have about 10 - 20 statues after all is said and done. To me that is plenty to enjoy especially if I wait patiently for the ones SS knocks out of the park.

I love the characters and designs. The movies may not always be the greatest, but the concepts for the visual aspects of the films hold artistic value to me. In short, I collect figures and statues because they look cool. :)

:exactly:

I have been collecting figures, and more recently Statues, since I was very young, probably 10/11 years old, and the idea of being surround in my Batcave by all of these characters I love, brings me joy. Its like taking the source material, and extending the life of the story into the real world in some sense.

Plus as it was said, its like having a museum of these characters I love in my own house! Whats better then that!?

But lately I'v had to watch myself from going too overboard ;)

I've always been a collector of some sort. When I was a child I had boxes filled with small toys that I got with candy.

I've always had this urge for obtaining things. Small things that hold some special meaning to me. It could be a small toy solder, an old Spider-man figure that was my favorite toy or a small souvenir that I brought with me from a holiday with my family.

With the danger of sounding a little pathetic, I have always been a loner-type kid. It's not that I didn't have any friends that I spoke with daily both at school but also outside school. Still, I had no trouble being on my own, entertaining myself with my toys, films or comic books. For this reason, I think my toys and other "objects" meant a lot to me, and persist in doing so to this day. I guess a lot of my friends would have no concerns when it came to getting rid of old toys and stuff - but I've always had a hard time doing that.

I guess this is reflected in my today as well. The fact that I collect these statues. I love to surround myself with these characters that I have grown up with. They symbolize worlds and universes that I desired to take part in. I did this through comics, books and films. To look upon these statues today gives me a strong feeling of nostalgia. It is also the power of association that I find pleasure in. They invoke warm memories and feelings from my childhood. They nourish my creativity and my ability to escape the triviality of every-day life.

So, collecting means a lot to me. It's a very personal thing for me.

I've always been a collector of some sort. When I was a child I had boxes filled with small toys that I got with candy.

I've always had this urge for obtaining things. Small things that hold some special meaning to me. It could be a small toy solder, an old Spider-man figure that was my favorite toy or a small souvenir that I brought with me from a holiday with my family.

With the danger of sounding a little pathetic, I have always been a loner-type kid. It's not that I didn't have any friends that I spoke with daily both at school but also outside school. Still, I had no trouble being on my own, entertaining myself with my toys, films or comic books. For this reason, I think my toys and other "objects" meant a lot to me, and persist in doing so to this day. I guess a lot of my friends would have no concerns when it came to getting rid of old toys and stuff - but I've always had a hard time doing that.

I guess this is reflected in my today as well. The fact that I collect these statues. I love to surround myself with these characters that I have grown up with. They symbolize worlds and universes that I desired to take part in. I did this through comics, books and films. To look upon these statues today gives me a strong feeling of nostalgia. It is also the power of association that I find pleasure in. They invoke warm memories and feelings from my childhood. They nourish my creativity and my ability to escape the triviality of every-day life.

So, collecting means a lot to me. It's a very personal thing for me.

:goodpost:

I think you described it perfectly.

That stubborn kid inside is always coming back. Hope he 'll never leave me. Thanks for sharing.

I love the characters and designs. The movies may not always be the greatest, but the concepts for the visual aspects of the films hold artistic value to me. In short, I collect figures and statues because they look cool. :)

This is me too.

1. Becuase they look cool
2. because it expands my interest in the franchise/character

I admire the craftsmanship that goes into sixth scale figures. If you asked me about collecting figures ten or twelve years ago I'd have laughed it off, not because they were toys but because the quality we see today just didn't exist back then. Toys were fun, but they were just that. It's a whole different story for me now.

Yeah I called them toys. Better get ready to be stoned.

They're like little works of art to be lovingly displayed and cared for as well as played with. People love buying things they can enjoy as opposed to just buying the necessities.

To me, they also represent the comics/TV series/movies I enjoyed. Which is why I have such an eclectic collection.

Back