Why do Hot Toys have so many ____ty licenses?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I assume they released Silk Spectre first because they expected the Watchmen line would have more staying power than it did, but as with The Spirit, fanboy hype didn't match the actual interest.

The Terminator Salvation figures sold very well I think. Anything Predator or Terminator they do is going to sell, those fanbases are very dedicated.

I would've bought more Watchmen figures if they would've made them. :(

You don't think if HT was doing SW, (the $ cow) they'd be pumping out Figs left and right like DK and IM but 5x more?

(Since they've stated it's one line they'd love to do)
I don't think they're that dumb.

My sentiments exactly. Star Wars would be that grand
exception to the rule, as its highly recognizable and sizable
fanbase would allow a more cohesive and well rounded line
of figures. The property is to lucrative to only do 3 or 4 characters.
That being said, I wish they did have it, I would probably
like their approach much more than I like Sideshows.

Last edited:
Hot Toys seems to be improving their character selection. They got almost the entire cast for Iron Man 2 ( except Fury ) I was really surprised they picked Black Widow, wasn't expecting her to make the list.

I hear ya, but I was looking for confirmation from them.

Just seems kinda strange that they would almost abandon the format after they made so many awesome products in 1/6th scale.

I'd like to know from SSC why after so many years dominating the market, they seem content to let HTs take the mantle.

I can understand lines like LOTR (huge developement cost due to one off armors and such) but other properties they've had in the past were basic formula figs...head sculpt, clothes and buck body.

The way I see it, I suspect HT raised the bar in terms of sheer attention to detail and SSC decided, for whatever reason, that they didn't want to put in the resources to be able to compete.

How could HT miss The Road Warrior/Mad Max and Escape From NY? Personally, I don't care about Prince of Persia. Or the Watchmen. Or the Spirit. I want Lord Humungous and The Duke.

As for wrestlers, how could you leave Ric Flair off the list?? You could have a switch out head after the blade job. And LOD figures would rock (including the spiked shoulder pads).

The way I see it, I suspect HT raised the bar in terms of sheer attention to detail and SSC decided, for whatever reason, that they didn't want to put in the resources to be able to compete.

I think it's the incessant whining. For their pricepoint, Sideshow produces (in most cases) an awesome figure yet there are many, many douchebags who directly compare them against HT's which on average cost 60% more.

I think it's the incessant whining. For their pricepoint, Sideshow produces (in most cases) an awesome figure yet there are many, many douchebags who directly compare them against HT's which on average cost 60% more.

I would agree with that. Both companies make awesome awesome figures. The thing is when I'm paying $190 for a figure from HT I expect to get detail that matches that price level. We're nearly paying the same price for these that some PF's and Comicquettes come close to. Being that a HT figure is about half the price of a PF. Where as SS figures are about 50-60% less than a HT figure I think judging them against each other isn't totally fair. Their GI Joe line now with those being well over $100 I think the comparisons are fair. IMO the GI Joe line is totally as good as anything military wise HT has put out.

Hot Toys seems to be improving their character selection. They got almost the entire cast for Iron Man 2 ( except Fury ) I was really surprised they picked Black Widow, wasn't expecting her to make the list.

Has this been confirmed?

How on earth do you know how good Hot Toys is or isn't without something to tell you how good or bad it is relatively? This isn't comparing the density of some mineral to Heidegger's "question of being". This is comparing 2 toys of similar size and articulation with similar types of licenses presumably targeting similar audiences, where one is of a lesser quality than the other. Of course, people shouldn't expect that they will give you the same product because of cost, but comparison of the two is completely legitimate and unavoidable by those who are familiar with both.

Back