Why do Hot Toys have so many ____ty licenses?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im actually surprised Sideshow or Hot Toys does not do the classic WWF wrestlers. Is there no interest in these? Theres a million toy lines for these characters.

Im actually surprised Sideshow or Hot Toys does not do the classic WWF wrestlers. Is there no interest in these? Theres a million toy lines for these characters.

There're a million toy lines and as many fans, but seeing as how most of the lines get clearanced a good chunk of the time, I don't see it being profitable on the high-end collectible market. Despite the WWE sellouts, most adults who do are too chicken____ to admit they watch it. :lol

Yea I agree. I'm sure the very popular characters would sell. I'd take a 1/6 Hogan, Warrior and Macho Man. They would be sure sellers, ooooooooooooooohyeeeeeeaa!!

Historically, Indiana Jones has never been a success on the toy shelves.

"Success" could be a relative term. Surely Indiana Jones SSC items could be better sellers than Buffy the Vampire Slayer and how long did that license go? Its all relative to how much the licenser demands and how much the figures cost. But just talking about fan base...even a character like Marion or Sallah would have a bigger fan base than some of the stuff SSC has released in the past, the biggest difference is SSC is operating under the need to charge $80+ for figures now.

There're a million toy lines and as many fans, but seeing as how most of the lines get clearanced a good chunk of the time, I don't see it being profitable on the high-end collectible market. Despite the WWE sellouts, most adults who do are too chicken____ to admit they watch it. :lol

I don't know about that. I there more than most folks especially if they're into what we're into would admit it. I mean we collect statues, pf's, dio's, and 1:6th figures (or dolls as some might call them :lol). So I don't think admitting you watch WWE is a big deal.

HT does great great work but I agree with they are perfect for lines that really only have a select few figures that "should" come from it. They just don't seem to have the dedication to lines that would be something like say GI Joe and Star Wars.

I don't know if high end collectors would have much use for 1/6 scale wrestling figures or statues, but they do seem to be a part of the wave of 80s nostalgia responsible for, say, Ninja Turtle statues, and the success of the Sideshow GI Joe line. Could work. As for Nam saying people would be embarrassed to admit they are wrestling fans, I don't know how that is any less embarrassing than having a giant GI Joe or Predator figure, or a giant Hulk statue on their shelf. These would probably all be pretty embarrassing to "Joe six-pack" or whomever. The target audience for those kinds of things would, I think, get a kick out of Macho Man or Legion of Doom figures.

--edit: in other words, what Josh said :D --

i wouldn't buy high end WWF figures because they'd break when I recreate the matches. they have to be made by a company with more durable materials like old SW Hasbro..:lol

i wouldn't buy high end WWF figures because they'd break when I recreate the matches. they have to be made by a company with more durable materials like old SW Hasbro..:lol
Do people's Joes break when they bring them out to the sandbox to re-enact "battles"? :lol

Polystone wrestling ring diorama would cost a fortune, I bet.

the difference between Joes and WWF is that joes aren't being body slammed, ddt'd, leg dropped, top turnbuckle belly blasting, macho man elbow. ghettoblastered, stinger splashed, bostoncrabbed, flying burrito, widowmakers and lexplexed.

just to clarify i don't watch wrestling anymore but before HS i was hardcore into it. I was Sting for halloween in 88 AND 89. :lol

"Success" could be a relative term. Surely Indiana Jones SSC items could be better sellers than Buffy the Vampire Slayer and how long did that license go? Its all relative to how much the licenser demands and how much the figures cost. But just talking about fan base...even a character like Marion or Sallah would have a bigger fan base than some of the stuff SSC has released in the past, the biggest difference is SSC is operating under the need to charge $80+ for figures now.

I definitely think those two characters would sell better than some of the Star Wars ones they sold. But I guess at the same time they would probably have a smaller edition size.

thats the question, how many figures at what price do companies need to sell to make a good profit?

I would imagine if they priced Marion at $60 she could easily sell 1000 units. Would that be unprofitable?

I'd consider getting Hulk and Goldberg as far as Pro Wrestlers go. :lol Progs right though we'd break them recreating stuff. :lol

I certainly wouldn't try to get one figure to give another "Cattle Mutilation"

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/9Yix7MmroqA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/9Yix7MmroqA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

thats the question, how many figures at what price do companies need to sell to make a good profit?

I would imagine if they priced Marion at $60 she could easily sell 1000 units. Would that be unprofitable?

For that price she would probably be pretty bare bones. I would still buy one. Hell I would buy one for $90, but they have to know people would. I assume it just has to done with the need for a new female body.

I guess $80-$90 is more likely. honestly, we aren't THAT far from 2008 when Lara Croft was $80 and 2007 when Assajj was $60.

They don't need to. Just look at the history of all their "on hold" or cancelled 1:6 lines for your answer. :monkey4:monkey4:monkey4

I hear ya, but I was looking for confirmation from them.

Just seems kinda strange that they would almost abandon the format after they made so many awesome products in 1/6th scale.

I'd like to know from SSC why after so many years dominating the market, they seem content to let HTs take the mantle.

I can understand lines like LOTR (huge developement cost due to one off armors and such) but other properties they've had in the past were basic formula figs...head sculpt, clothes and buck body.

Last edited:
I hear ya, but I was looking for confirmation from them.

Just seems kinda strange that they would almost abandon the format after they made so many awesome products in 1/6th scale.

I'd like to know from SSC why 1/6th scale figs aren't as profitable and why after so many years dominating the market, they seem content to let HTs take the mantle.

I can understand lines like LOTR (huge developement cost due to one off armors and such) but other properties they've had in the past were basic formula figs...head sculpt, clothes and buck body.

Making ploystone statues is probably a hell of a lot cheaper because they just need to use the same mold over and over again and then paint. They don't need to make the clothing and accessories (this is excluding premium format) and the mark up is a hell of a lot higher.

I am sure you would be shocked to see how much it actually costs them to make a statue.

Making ploystone statues is probably a hell of a lot cheaper because they just need to use the same mold over and over again and then paint. They don't need to make the clothing and accessories (this is excluding premium format) and the mark up is a hell of a lot higher.

I am sure you would be shocked to see how much it actually costs them to make a statue.

Yeah, I imagine the mark up is substantial and they are much easier to produce than sewing 1/6th costumes.

Makes me wonder though how close to the edge SW and GIJ might be, you know? When is the profit margin "too small" or are they producing figs from either property that have no profit margin at all.

Seems like, if that's the case, they would just go to a different business model when selling 1/6th figs rather than forego the format for their properties outright. Maybe having a base number of orders that are partial paid non-refundable orders - non-refundable once the base number is met of course! The wait time would be longer, but that would at least give lines like LOTR and IJ a chance to get some iconic characters in before interest waned to the point of cancelation or putting the line "on-hold".

But then again, I guess based on current orders they figure fans ain't all that interested anyway in those lines so why commit any resources to em :huh

Back