Why did sideshow increase the shipping fee for east coast by 100%?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gagaliya

Super Freak
Reaction score
i am getting charged double or more for shipping in the last few statues. There was a significant shipping fee increase. Below are some of my recent orders of similar size/weight in the past few months, one can clearly see the 100% shipping fee increase.

Why?

Was there a hidden shipping fee increase? Somehow i doubt the last 2 statues are twice as heavy or large than the other premium formats. Actually it needs to be almost 3x as heavier or larger(dimensional weight) to justify the 100% shipping fee increase.

So what's going on sideshow?

Arthas Statue Ship cost: $45.85

Hulk Comiquette - Grey Variant Ship cost: $43.75

MARVEL Premium Format Figure Captain America Premium Format Figure - Sideshow Exclusive Version (1) shipping of $21.56.

DC Comics Collectibles The Joker Premium Format Figure - Sideshow Exclusive Version (1) shipping of $19.31.

MARVEL 'VS' Series Dioramas Wolverine Vs. Sabretooth (1) shipping of $20.70

The Lord of the Rings Collectibles Gimli Statue - Sideshow Exclusive Version (1) shipping of $19.62

The Lord of the Rings Collectibles Boromir Statue - Sideshow Exclusive Version (1) shipping of $20.31.

Predator Collectibles Dutch Schaefer Premium Format Figure Sideshow Exclusive (1) shipping of $21.97.

Lord of the Rings Premium Format Figures Gollum Premium Format Figure - International Edition (1) shipping of $22.83.

The Lord of the Rings Collectibles Snow Troll Statue (1) shipping of $30.32. <-- this statue is MASSIVE

I thought they had some deal with UPS to get discounted rates, but those prices look like actual UPS shipping for statues that big and heavy. . .

I thought they had some deal with UPS to get discounted rates, but those prices look like actual UPS shipping for statues that big and heavy. . .

yes they get significant discount from the carriers for shipping, my parents' warehouse does as well and sideshow is a much much larger account.

My point being all other statues in the past of similar size and weight ships for around $20, why are the new ones now cost $45 all of sudden? It's about $1.5/lb to east coast at retail rate. With the type of discount sideshow receives, it will be significantly less. So we are talking about 20-30lb heavier for both arthas and hulk reissue compared to the old orders i listed to justify the increase. Doubt that's the case. So want to know why sideshow decided to double the shipping fees.

Yeah $43.75 sounded a little high for me as well for the Hulk Comiquette. But he is a big boy so I didn't really think much of it. But I did type in the weight and dimensions (28 x 23 x 16 in / 30 lb) from my location to Sideshow for comparison and UPS.com quoted me $85.49 retail ground. :thud:

Hey Gags, did you get a regular Hulk Comiquette from Sideshow? If so, what did that cost to ship? Back in October 2012 the Snow Troll cost me $27.12 in shipping with a dimensional weight of 30 lbs. The Grey Hulk has a dimensional weight of 45 lbs. :horror :rock

Shipping costs for hulk and Arthas to Australia is more than usual as both these items are considered "oversized" and shipped calculated by dimensional weight. Don't know if that affects you, seems like it might.

Hi gagaliya!

Questions like these can always be answered in much more depth and with many more details by contacting our customer service department directly. Our reps are always ready to answer inquiries about shipping, etc.

That said....the two items you've referenced (specifically the Grey Hulk Comiquette and Arthas Statue) will have much bigger packing as they are much bigger pieces. As such their DIM weights end up being higher than a Joker PF, LOTR Statue, etc and thus shipping costs will be higher. Ship costs have gone up in 2013 again for carriers as well I can confirm (typical increase is 5 to 10% every year).

For example...the much bigger Snow Troll piece you mentioned that shipped to you for a little over $30 would now ship (as of today) to someone on the East Coast (I used a NYC zip code) for a little over $36.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions regarding shipping costs please do contact our customer service department and they would be more than happy to help you out!

Thanks! :)

-SideshowAlex

I just ordered the Arthas Statue and got the same cost. I tried calculating cost at UPS and its coming up $87 for ground with signature. FedEx is coming up around $70 for ground.

Hi gagaliya!

Questions like these can always be answered in much more depth and with many more details by contacting our customer service department directly. Our reps are always ready to answer inquiries about shipping, etc.

That said....the two items you've referenced (specifically the Grey Hulk Comiquette and Arthas Statue) will have much bigger packing as they are much bigger pieces. As such their DIM weights end up being higher than a Joker PF, LOTR Statue, etc and thus shipping costs will be higher. Ship costs have gone up in 2013 again for carriers as well I can confirm (typical increase is 5 to 10% every year).

For example...the much bigger Snow Troll piece you mentioned that shipped to you for a little over $30 would now ship (as of today) to someone on the East Coast (I used a NYC zip code) for a little over $36.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions regarding shipping costs please do contact our customer service department and they would be more than happy to help you out!

Thanks! :)

-SideshowAlex

Hi alex, okie so it just happens those 2 statues are both much larger and heavier than the other premium formats? And sideshow did not increase the shipping fee (besides the annual carrier rate increase). That's good to know thank you :)

I wish sideshow would display shipping fee when you order, i imagine that's not difficult to do. I ordered the same arthas from an online reseller for $315 shipped, if i knew it cost $45 to ship from sideshow would ordered both from the reseller instead. $400 vs $315 for the same statue is a big difference.

Hi alex, okie so it just happens those 2 statues are both much larger and heavier than the other premium formats? And sideshow did not increase the shipping fee (besides the annual carrier rate increase). That's good to know thank you :)

I wish sideshow would display shipping fee when you order, i imagine that's not difficult to do. I ordered the same arthas from an online reseller for $315 shipped, if i knew it cost $45 to ship from sideshow would ordered both from the reseller instead. $400 vs $315 for the same statue is a big difference.

We hope to get to the point where ship costs can be displayed for Pre-Orders at the time that people place their Pre-Order one day. So this is on a list of enhancements we'd like to put into place for customers sometime in the future if at all possible. :)

-SideshowAlex

I remember when a fellow freak had his own business here in Austin (this is when I lived in TN). I'd say it was about 5 years ago, and I realize rates were lower then. However, he got great shipping discounts from ups. So much so that my PF's only cost me $6.50 to ship in the USA. It's how much I paid for Lara Croft, Angel and Buffy pf's.

FedEx regional prices seem about 5-10% higher, but anything outside of my region and I'm paying at least 20% higher. Same with USPS. :(

Probably becuas we get hit by customs and duties so Sideshow cuts the shipping where possible

I don't think that has nothing to do with the prices,when I get mine I take it to the UPS store to see how much REALLY would be.

Back