why arent hot toys scuplts as lifelike as custom ones

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

halfbaked1969

Freaked Out
Reaction score
after browsing the forums here i came across someone selling a custom john connor christian bale head scuplt.i was gobsmacked at how lifelike it looked and also because the thought came to me that why arent hot toys able to produce sculpts like this one in there retail products?i mean the difference between the two is massive in terms of realism and craftmanship.the sculptors at hot toys are obviously massively talented individuals so why are they not producing the same finishes:dunno im guessing its a time thing but surely each sculptor wants to enhance his reputation with sculpts that match or superseed competitors.just a thought that sprang to mind while eating my cheese on toast in the auction section:lol.any thoughts:) ps.is it a license thing regarding likeness to the actor in question,if it is they have no chance of getting that grumpy bale to allow it:)

HT uses real human DNA. It is usually to expensive for the average customizer to get a hold of.

This hobby has come a long way in just the past two or three years. And leaps and bounds ahead over 10 years ago. At this point I think people are be becoming too nitpicky when it comes to head sculpts. It's almost like nothing is good enough. I'm not crazy with all of HT's sculpts, but its rare that I see ones that are better (no offense to the customizers).

Petition falcon poll. :lecture

What ? A custom better then the original? I too have yet to see a custom beat the original out of box sculpt. If your talking about sideshow sculpts n paint jobs then i'd agree that customs beat the out of box sculpts but not for HT's.

A simple search and I found what you're talking about. And I know it's the one you mean because I see that you posted adoration for the sculpt in the thread.
Here, Halbaked1969, I'll link it for you.

https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81169&highlight=custom+john+connor

I'll even put the pics here from Thrustmaster's auction.

It's good, but I wouldn't say that it's mind bogglingly better. Just different.
It actually looks a bit like Christian Bale as he was in The Machinist.

IMG_3973.jpg

IMG_2665.jpg

IMG_3966.jpg

salvationcast.jpg

Move along people, his name says it all.
ok maybe il word it a little different.who thinks the custom looks more like christian bale?i guess your tag dominishin mirrors your comment"pointless and meaningless":dunno:rotfl
ps.imo the custom beats the original hands down,everyone is also welcome to theirs ie forum:wink1:also thanks for the people who answered with an open minded response

Last edited:
ok maybe il word it a little different.who thinks the custom looks more like christian bale?i guess your tag dominishin mirrors your comment"pointless and meaningless":dunno:rotfl
ps.imo the custom beats the original hands down,everyone is also welcome to theirs ie forum:wink1:

Lol, it was a joke. And I wouldn't say my reply was meaningless, I'm sorry if you didn't understand.

And yeah my name username mean something. Though it's two completely different languages put together.

Have you seen Hot Toy's Whiplash, Kamui, Aldo Raine, Blade, or T-800 sculpts (I could go on)? Looks convincingly real.

And I'm a bit confused as to what you're trying to argue, "realism" and "likeness" are different things.

Last edited:
Well if you like it more then good for you but why open a new thread to ask that?
eeerrrr???forum.are you and mr joker the welcoming committee,if so you are failing miserably:nana:
also i must be pretty interesting to you as you have said the same thing twice.i was hopeing for a little intellect thats all,an opinion,if you feel my post is pointless then plz feel free to pointlessly post elsewhere and ignore me but whats the point in posting?self importance:exactly:

Lol, it was a joke. And I wouldn't say my reply was meaningless, I'm sorry if you didn't understand.

And yeah my name username mean something. Though it's two completely different languages put together.

Have you seen Hot Toy's Whiplash, Kamui, Aldo Raine, Blade, or T-800 sculpts (I could go on)? Looks convincingly real.

And I'm a bit confused as to what you're trying to argue, "realism" and "likeness" are different things.
at the end of the day my observation was that the custom looked more like"likeness" christian bale period.i apologise for mis reading your joke but is this such a weird thing to ask in a hobby forum.it looks to me more realistic than the original to me and as such seems more real"realism" jmho but :thud:

eeerrrr???forum.are you and mr joker the welcoming committee,if so you are failing miserably:nana:
also i must be pretty interesting to you as you have said the same thing twice.i was hopeing for a little intellect thats all,an opinion,if you feel my post is pointless then plz feel free to pointlessly post elsewhere and ignore me but whats the point in posting?self importance:exactly:

I wans't attacking you, was just saying that if you like the head better then good for you.
No need to atttack me or send me pm attacking me again.:slap

Man I'm going to say it, I don't like the lips on Bobby's Joker. I never post in the threads because any criticism seems to be taken as an attack and everyone is just so damn defensive in there.

deadly serious imo the custom looks alot more like christain bale than hot toys,im not argueing other figures,just this one.yes blade is good i have him,whiplash is good i have him,all the jokers i have,so you see i do get to look at head scuplts and while looking on a thread thought this custom head looked more like him,i guess i expected replies like "really?im liking the original alot more than the custom you mention":gah:not replies like that of yours elvis,them i wouldnt miss at all:exactly::wave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back