Media Who's the best protagonist of the Metal Gear series? (Contains Spoilers!!)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well, who is it?

• Total voters
That's why I said MGS2 is the best thing to happen to his character. That's the only time to me at least that he's actually his own man, MGS1 he was a pawn, and MGS4 he was just doing as he was told most of the time, then instead of getting a satisfying ending, Big Boss comes and steals his shine :lol

I don't think neither guy is better than the other, there's a lot to like about both characters but Big Boss just seems more layered to me. I think MGS4 could have been the perfect game to flesh out Solid's characters, but instead he coughed, smoked, and hid in the corner for most of the scenes he was interacting with his comrades.

Maybe a MGS Philanthropy game might make me like Solid more.

Well, he didn't have a choice in MGS 1 :lol. Remember, how he was happy drinking his days away, and he was getting ready to enter a mushing competition? But, then Campbell's soldiers came and took him away.

Those are pretty much my complaints about MGS 4, too. I hated how Old Snake was used as an allegory for Kojima's retirement from the series... which never happened.

Well, he didn't have a choice in MGS 1 :lol. Remember, how he was happy drinking his days away, and he was getting ready to enter a mushing competition? But, then Campbell's soldiers came and took him away.

Those are pretty much my complaints about MGS 4, too. I hated how Old Snake was used as an allegory for Kojima's retirement from the series... which never happened.

That must mean another Solid Snake game is inevitable :lol

I also like that the other Snakes have no problem breaking the rules to achieve their goals, while Solid is just always doing as he's told. He comes off as a boy scout to me, which really conflicts with the attitude of his character.
Pretty much. I like a character with an Edge. Raiden has a dark past, in Revengeance he went berserk with ripper mode. Naked Snake becomes Big Boss ect.

My favorite characters in video games are Kain, Raziel, Raiden & Big Boss. And they are all anti-heroes. And in some case the villains in their own franchise at one point or another.

Im a sucker for the bad guys. Or good guys with a twist. Solid just seems a bit vanilla for my liking. I do like him, its not like i jumped in to the series late. He just isnt at the top of my list.

I enjoyed playing Raiden the most in 2. It let me see Snake from another perspective. His attitude towards Raiden is pretty hilarious.

Raiden finds out about Olga and asks Snake why he didn't tell him.

"Not happy about that? Get over it!" -Snake

Last edited:
If we were using only MGS 3 and maybe PO, I would possibly say Naked Snake as I was enticed and understood his plight, for the most part. But after PW...I can't, I just can't. TPP worries me...this Venom Snake stuff also worries me

Raiden grew on me from MGS 2 but even then, I still have gripes. MGS 4 he was emo, but better and for good reason, by MGR, I think he really became his own man.

I will say Solid Snake. I have no real gripes with his character, as seeing him in MGS 2 was pretty cool, while playing as him in MGS 1 had its moments. MGS 4...as Pliss said, it's stupid that he became an allegory for Kojima retiring (which didn't happen till 7 years later), and that his character became worse, but in some ways, I do get his crotchety attitude in MGS 4, coming to terms with things and having a lot of **** happen. I still felt he lost too much of what made him the great protagonist he is, however.

While Big Boss is a great character, and Venom is a physical representation of his descent into villainy... I think I like Solid the best.

I just find it a shame we never got to play as him in his prime (goddamn accelerated ageing) in sweet sweet HD.

Raiden's alright.

Yep :gah: Those Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 remakes seemed so close #fudgekonami

Solid Snake > Big Boss > Venom Snake > Raiden.

At least for me anyway, I know a lot of people will disagree on having Raiden last but while he is a good character he's the weakest on the list for me. I got sick of playing as Venom Snake and modded myself into Big Boss, thank god for PC.

F4708CEB0E6E391E95ACD311D9952752E3C9A60A

Good to see the real Big Boss never switched to hipster vaping and ponytails. Good ol' Mullet and a fine cigar.

Solid - Big Boss - Raiden - Venom

I'd put Raiden last but as Venom has zero personality it's got to go to Venom. Raiden for me is whiney and boring and he basically got turned into Gray Fox 2.0 but with a worse story

I love how Venom has zero votes, and rightfully so. His little personality he has, isn't even his own.

Back