Who's going to buy the trilogy out Tuesday?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
carbo-fation said:
Those of you who actually bought these new DVDs, do you think they're worth the extra money? I am still on the edge and would like some opinions about this version.
it is worth every penny, both version in one disc with sharper and clear picture then the first release one.:chew

For those of you on the fence, just ask yourselves--do you sometimes find yourself watching the extended version but wishing it didn't have all of the optional commentaries or superior DTS sound? Or do you get tired of having the shorter theatrical versions one one side of a disc and wish that you could get up and flip them halfway through? Are you a widescreen TV owner who is tired of viewing the special features from the extended editions in enhanced 16x9 widescreen format so that the image fills the screen instead of being surrounded by black bars on all four sides (or gets stretched horizontally distorting the picture and making everyone look fat)? If so, then get this set.

While I like the new feature length documentaries, would it have been that hard to give them 16x9 transfers, considering that they are the only thing making a lot of people buy these new sets in the first place? For people like me, who prefer DTS audio on the films and can't stand non-anamorphic widescreen transfers on feature length extras, this set won't get played much after the initial viewing of the "full frame widescreen" documentaries.

tomandshell said:
For those of you on the fence, just ask yourselves--do you sometimes find yourself watching the extended version but wishing it didn't have all of the optional commentaries or superior DTS sound? Or do you get tired of having the shorter theatrical versions one one side of a disc and wish that you could get up and flip them halfway through? Are you a widescreen TV owner who is tired of viewing the special features from the extended editions in enhanced 16x9 widescreen format so that the image fills the screen instead of being surrounded by black bars on all four sides (or gets stretched horizontally distorting the picture and making everyone look fat)? If so, then get this set.

While I like the new feature length documentaries, would it have been that hard to give them 16x9 transfers, considering that they are the only thing making a lot of people buy these new sets in the first place? For people like me, who prefer DTS audio on the films and can't stand non-anamorphic widescreen transfers on feature length extras, this set won't get played much after the initial viewing of the "full frame widescreen" documentaries.

Well, after reading your post, I've decided not to buy it.!

I'll tell ya though, the best thing this set could do is increase interest in owning the original extended sets. People who love audio commentary and special features but were turnd of by the original prices for the extended cuts may pick these up. And that's a good thing, I think. Anything to show there is still loads of interest in the license. We still need The Hobbit after all...

I`ll stick with my 12 disc set.
Any how I also have the theatrical versions so theres no point. :D

Trilogy said:
I`ll stick with my 12 disc set.
Any how I also have the theatrical versions so theres no point. :D

But you will miss the new nifty-documentaries, they are good, really. :cool:

LOTRFan said:
But you will miss the new nifty-documentaries, they are good, really. :cool:
Not into extras,
As long as the movie has excellent pic and sound I`m happy. :D

I capitulated and bought Fellowship :lol News is good and bad :rolleyes:

Good is the $50 Sideshow voucher I received in the package :D:chew

Bad, the dvd sticks at Parth Galen on both the theatrical and extended versions :monkey2:monkey2 Oh yeah....... Lurve the documentary and will deffo be getting the other two :monkey5:monkey5

I've emailed seller. so watch this space

TC :blah

If anyone wants to sell their copy of the limited trilogy, please send me a PM with a price incl. shipping to Switzerland, thanks. :cool:

I picked them up at Target last month for $14.99 each. The documentaries to me are well worth the money spent on another set of DVDs.

goliath said:
If anyone wants to sell their copy of the limited trilogy, please send me a PM with a price incl. shipping to Switzerland, thanks. :cool:

I assume you are talking about the limited trilogy edition with the slipcase right? Because if you want them individually, I can check if Target still has them at $14.99 US each.

Fritz said:
I assume you are talking about the limited trilogy edition with the slipcase right? Because if you want them individually, I can check if Target still has them at $14.99 US each.

Box or individual - either way is fine. I could order from Amazon for $ 49.20 & 11.00 shipping, but I thought I might check here first.

Can you tell me how much the three individual boxes would weigh, so I could check on shipping with USPS?

goliath said:
Box or individual - either way is fine. I could order from Amazon for $ 49.20 & 11.00 shipping, but I thought I might check here first.

Can you tell me how much the three individual boxes would weigh, so I could check on shipping with USPS?

I can check the weight for you but that Amazon deal is pretty good. I'd still have to add tax on to the $14.99 each and I'm sure shipping would be more that $11 from the USPS. But I can check the weight of mine when I get home and let you know if someone hasn't already. I'm sure it's no more than a few pounds total.

goliath said:

Might want to check out Overstock.....Not sure about their shipping, but they have a 12% off coupon code for new customers.

Overstock seems not to be an option, you can't even register with an international adress.

And the coupon (which is still placed prominently on the main page) wouldn't help either:

This offer applies to U.S. orders with standard shipping only [...]Offer ends September 30, 2006

i dont think this has been posted before, but check this out for a sample of how LOTR on HD dvd will look like: https://www.cornbread.org/FOTRCompare/index.html

mouse over the pictures to see it in HD. i say it will be worth the wait for the hd version to be released. and that should be the best edition to get. the detailing is so clear and sharp!

noelleon69 said:
i dont think this has been posted before, but check this out for a sample of how LOTR on HD dvd will look like: https://www.cornbread.org/FOTRCompare/index.html

mouse over the pictures to see it in HD. i say it will be worth the wait for the hd version to be released. and that should be the best edition to get. the detailing is so clear and sharp!

WOW!!! AMAZING!!

noelleon69 said:

jee thanks
now i will have to have a HD player.:maul that is too cool

Back