1/6 Who'd buy HT PENGUIN or CATWOMAN from Batman Returns?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you buy HT Penguin and Cat?

• YES

Votes: 70 89.7%
  • NO

Votes: 8 10.3%

• Total voters
After watching clips of Returns on line, I think might buy Cat Woman. She looks very cool.

Yeah you would and yes she does:

catwoman_00.jpg

I've got Catwoman and Mayor Penguin at 1/4 from NECA and I have to say I prefer Catwoman. It's not about a bias against 'ugly' characters for me, moreso a sculpted VS softgoods thing in the case of NECA. They do better with sculpted. The clothes on Penguin aren't terrible by any means but the sit isn't quite right whereas with Catwoman you have the assurance that it is how it's supposed to look.

Re: Who'd buy HT PENGUIN + CATWOMAN from Batman Returns?

I'd buy two of each.

I think we have Facebook groups to thank for that.

I don't think so. I think the death of these forums was likely caused by a combination of three factors:

1. The lack of relevant interesting DC product (thanks largely to Hot Toys focusing entirely on Marvel and Disney, probably due to Disney's influence)

2. The long period of censorship of discussion of non-official products thanks to the influence of Sideshow and likely Hot Toys as well.

3. The "apocalypse" period that occurred for a while after the forum severed its connection to Sideshow, during which the forums were at various periods completely inaccessible due to database errors, completely unreadable due to technical errors, or completely flooded with spambots due to a lack of moderation (likely exacerbated by the aforementioned errors).

Number one is still a problem - less products means less of an audience which means less of a desire to congregate as a community.

Number two is no longer an issue, but it went on so long that the reversal may be too little, too late. The community has already dispersed.

It's sad, because there was no good reason for it: The bootlegs were mostly for either figures whose official versions were long since sold out or they were for characters that Hot Toys/Sideshow had the license for but clearly refused to actually follow through on producing (Catwoman and Penguin are great examples). In either case, there were no sales being lost to the licensors and anyone who studies IP issues would soon learn that the presence of such bootlegs actually only enhances the value of the original product (i.e, more people are willing to shell out for an official Hot Toys Keaton Batman if they know they can get a Pfeiffer Catwoman, even if it's only a bootleg).

Number three is also no longer an issue, but that's just frosting on the "too little, too late" cake - it went on for an extended period (more than just a week or so), so some may have given up entirely.

As far as I can tell, there hasn't been a replacement for this community in the form of a forum anywhere else. It's possible it's on social media - I wouldn't know, but even so, such a format is going to be limited in depth compared to what can be found and built in a forum setting.

I hope that this community can regrow, but unfortunately it may have lost the critical mass necessary to be completely self-sustaining. It's unlikely that Number One will change anytime soon (a successful iteration of Batman in 2021 is probably the best bet). In that case, the next best thing would be to make more threads about the various unlicensed figures that are available (some of which had been made years ago but were censored) - there are two 1/6 TDKR Bane figures coming out (maybe one is out now) and at least one 1/6 TKDR Catwoman figure, for example. Spread the word that these figures are out and demonstrate that we can have discussions about them here without being censored anymore. In other words, demonstrate that this community can be a valuable resource to its members once again, unlike what it has been for the past several years.

For my part, I try to visit more often. I used to come here every day, but in the last several years it became once every few months. I just got used to the above three factors making this a place that wasn't really worth the time anymore.

Maybe that can change.

I would guarantee Returns Catwoman would sell out. Necas did and now goes for double what it was at retail. So many options for her as well. Her and the Penguin.

hot Toys doesn’t participate in Toy Fair or United States trade shows.

Isnt there going to be some Batman/DC show coming up? Thought I saw someone post about it.

Back