White Powder Residue on Head?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graham_UK

Freakzoid
Reaction score
Hi all, May be this is a bit of a Newbie question, please feel free to move it if in the wrong place.

I recently bought the GI Joe Hawk figure, he was new although came from a previous owner (Unopened, still in packing). I noticed on his head a white powder "Misting" to the front part of his hair (No jokes please lol) but the back, where it had been in contact with the plastic tray was fine! I managed to use a simple handsoap and toothbrush to remove about 80% of the mist but it's still slightly noticeable. I've been told that there was a similar problem with the Stalker figure? Was a good cleaning method ever worked out?

I compare it to that white mist you sometimes get when you use too much superglue. I've just spoken to sideshow, they recommend using Mr. Clean Magic Erase? Not a product I know being that I live in the UK.

The Magic Eraser is a good idea if you had them available there! Although you would have to go easy with it. Is the remaining residue something you can live with or no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Normally i'd say yes I can live with it (It actually gives the hair better shading lol..) The problem is it's uneven! the back of his head is free of the residue so I need to make it all look even. (Sorry I realize a pic would really sell this better).

I'm sorry but did you say you have white residue on the head of your Joe? :wink1:
Bwa ha ha

Try a little Armorall rub it all over the head with your fingers let it set for a day then gently buff it with a paper towel to remove excess an to get rid of the shine.

Ive notice this residue has developed on all my older Gi Joe Figures, Duke, Flint, Cobra trooper, Storm Shadow, Rockn Roll, Hawk, Beach Head, Cobra Commander (First one), Dusty. The first time seen this happen before was on some movie master Dark Knight Figures, they get coated with some whitish powder, even sealed in packaging. I think this some chemical reaction or plastic wearing dwon or something.
I just wipe it off with a clean rag and they seem fine, just its such a pain to get into the some crevices.
I wonder why I haven't seen this happen on any of Sideshow Star Wars figures though?

Oh dear, it sounds like were talking about the same issue. Can I ask, are your figures on display or kept in the original boxes?

Yeah, a couple of my Joes heads had done the same, as have several other members who have reported the same with theirs. Hawk and Stalker the worst, like Roc, I just wipe them with a moist towel and all is fine.

Mine have been displayed since the original release date.

I'm raising this topic, since just couple days ago I noticed that my Green Cobra Ninja had this "powder" like stuff all over his extra head that I have kept in the box with the other extra stuff. Though it is not really like chalky powder, but more like a grey dust that seems to have kind of oily feel when wiped. It could very well be the same issue, and I don't see any reason to start a new topic conserning the same kind of a problem.

I have noticed something a bit similar (yes, some of that is just a dust) with those Joes that are in my detolf, but this one that was kept in the box had most of this stuff on it thus far. Now I remember that we had similar topic some years ago, about the head of the Stalker-figure. Now this all would indicate that there is somekind of a deterioration going on. A cheap PVC-plastic can start showing symptoms like this. No one really knows what could directly cause it, but a substandard pvc seems to be a really vulnerable.

I found this bit from the bowels of the net:

The semi-flexible PVC that Toy Biz used for the majority of their LOTRs toys was pretty much standard stuff in the toy industry. Most of my figures have held up quite well, but I am pretty careful about storing them in a climate controlled area. Some of the stuff I have bought over the last few years, though has actually been degrading faster than older items. Most of the JLU figures I have bought as well as the DC Super Friends (both made by Mattel) have had severe chalking issues. This is a issue you run into with really cheap Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC). Chalking is the deterioration of the vinyl surface, thereby exposing the TiO2 particles to the surface. The white powder chalking that can be wiped from the surface of most vinyl is TiO2 particles mixed with deteriorating vinyl (PVC). TiO2 is titanium dioxide – a base pigment used in the manufacture of most PVC.

The question is; Will those parts last? I haven't noticed that those parts would have become more brittle or anything. Though some of those part are indeed painted, and it shouldn't happen to painted PVC parts.

Room temperature (in my house) should be normal and same goes the humidity. Besides it is namely heat, cold and UV light that can cause those issues above.

Quite annoying that toys this expensive can have this kind of an issues. Not even my old MOTU, Lego, TF and M.A.S.K toys have anything like this going on.

Edit: I can't say that it is 100% sure, that this problem is namely the PVC deterioration mentioned above. Though it most certainly isn't just dust. Vitrines are not airtight, but in this case there shouldn't be any dust like that inside that box and in my case this "plagues" only the Sideshow Joes.

Back