Which Wonka will win?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adoptedscot said:
Exactly, you get it now. :joy
Oh, I always got it. I just don't subscribe the the whole "ignorance is bliss"
thing. (I personally choose to be well informed before passing judgment) :D

Anyways,
for the money, I say Gentle Giant all the way. Although we're only judging
by pics & a review will most likely show the true pluses & minuses of both.

& speaking of which, who's got the GG Wonka pics? :confused:

*ss*

I have seen them both (being a film projectionist I couldn't help BUT see Burton's version)... and each has it's flaws and assets. I admit that the old version looks dated... but, then again so does "The Wizard of Oz."

Truly, Burton's visual sensibilities and artistic flair is perfect for the subject matter and Danny Elfman's playful score, especially the inspired versions of the Oompa Loompa songs which use Dahl's original lyrics, is particularly effective and delightful. However, Burton fails to create a credible core to this movie... a charismatic Wonka. Without that pillar to ground the movie, the film is simply a parade of colors.

Depp usually has an unerring talent for creating memorable characters, especially when he is matched with Burton. But I think he unintentionally channeled Michael Jackson (in all his pasty-faced weirdness) on this one... the scene where he asks Charlie alone to stay in the factory (read Neverland) is especially creepy. There are some scenes where a fun riff on the character is seen (like the whole Mike Tevee/Television room scene) but there is not enough of them to pull the movie together.

People keep saying that the new movie is closer to the book. DO NOT BELIEVE IT! It REALLY isn't. EVERYBODY seems to forget that the book's author, Roal Dahl, actually wrote the screenplay for the original movie! The only thing that Dahl objected to back then was turning his screen play into a musical with the insertion of the songs written by Sap-meister Anthony Newley. The scenes from the book that aren't in the original were cut because it was unfilmable back in the pre-digital, early seventies. A room with a hundred trained "nut cracking" squirrels? An Indian temple made out of chocolate? A forest filled with knee high Oompa Loompas? Not possible. Whatever the changes made in the original Wonka film, it was made by the author... to maintain the spirit of the book.

Even though the above scenes are NOW in the new version, the "spirit" of the book is TOTALLY undermined. Like some adaptations, it tries to over explain things. "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" comes to mind. Why does Grandpa Joe know SO much about Wonka? Well, now Burton makes Grandpa Joe an Ex-Employee of Wonka's. Why can't Grandpa Joe just be a candy-loving child at heart? And why oh WHY do we need to have a back story to Wonka? Making him a mentally abused child by a dominating dentist father, sets Willy Wonka up to be just as fractured as the rest of the bratty kids. Except for Charlie.

And what's up with him? Why did Burton feel the need to make Charlie so saintly? In this new version Charlie actually offers to SELL the Golden Ticket to help the family finances! BLEECK! A story of such delectable whimsy need not be to bogged down with such drab seriousness. The new film also creates a scenario where, amazingly enough, Charlie actually says "no" to Wonka's offer to give him the factory! This new scene manages to both exalt Charlie to saintly status AND reduce Wonka to being an aging jerk with a Peter Pan complex. Boy, what an accomplishment! That scene plays so magically in the original film (just thinking about that scene with Wilder in the "Wonka-vator" tears me up), is reduced to create some cheap sense of dramatic tension.

Sorry... I just had to get it off my chest.

So, no I probably won't be getting either figure. :D

So, ProtoZ, you are telling the 'closed minds' among us we were right to avoid this film, huh?

:D

Excellent write up Protozaius :wave, I love the 'Wonka-vator' scene too, great ending to a great feel good film,IMO.

Shell
x :D

SS,

Just because some people have a different opinion to you or decide things differently it does not give you the right to presume that they are living in 'ignorance'.
Nor does it give you the right to presume that their way of doing things is any less 'informed' or worse than yours.
It most certainly does not give you the right to presume that the things they choose are wrong, just because it is different to you.

Everyone has their own opinion and is entitled to it.Yours is no better than anyone else, we all have the same rights to do things how we choose.

Please do not make a very judgemental and generalised statement about people you don't even know.

:peace

shell,
So you could presume to not like the Depp Wonka without even seeing it BUT
I can't presume that you're ignorant (in an innocent way of course) even
when my opinion is that you ARE being ignorant?
Adoptedscot said:
Everyone has their own opinion and is entitled to it.
You sure? Because it sounds like you're not accepting this concept. :confused:
Please do not make a very judgemental and generalised statement about people you don't even know.
Isn't this what you did with a movie you don't even know?
Maybe you should lead by example.
:naughty

shell, let's not clutter this board with our petty argument. Instead of replying
here & starting a flame war, why don't we just keep this off the board &
continue this in PM's. :peace

& to everyone else, I just saw the movie "Notting Hill" & realize that I won't
like the UK. So that's why I'll never give it a chance or visit it & discover a
true opinion of what the country is really like for myself.
:rolleyes:

Cheers,

*ss*

(sorry Dave, no more ballocks** from me)
**the rubbish kind, not the testicles
:D

Super Serg said:
I always thought that judging a 2 hour film through a 2 min trailer was like
judging a book by it's cover. But to each their own... I guess.

By the way, see that trailer in the link above called "Shining".
It's well worth it & proves my point completely.
:naughty

*ss*
I've been a theater projectionist for 25 years now. So, I can honestly say that I've seen my share of trailers. I actually own a few hours worth of them throughout my "career" and play them after hours at my leisure.

And I have seen my share of trailers I thought didn't sell a good film very well. The Finding Nemo trailer comes to mind. And I've seen the reverse... I've seen a GREAT trailer misrepresent a film. Strange Days teaser trailer comes to mind. However, in the case of Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, I thought the two trailers (both teaser and final) was a fair representation of what to expect from the film.

Just my opinion.

I thought the new version absolutely sucked. Depp was the wrong guy. I love the Wilder version though. Both were a bit sadist, but at least Wilder didn't remind me of Michael Jackson. Figure looks pretty good though.

I cant see why everyone is so uptight about that stupid Gene Wilder movie. I've seen it and it was absolutely terrible!! It's like beeing forced to watch the Sound of Music! (SoM=living hell)

Anyway, the Medicom is the far better figure. But then again its also $100 more then the GG one. No wonder its better. If it was equal, then Medicom should fire its sculpters!!

Wow, what a scathing review.

How can a character supervised by his creator be inferior to a character recreated By Tim Burton?

Can anyone say that a character that is a combination of Micheal Jackson and Elton John around children isn't creepy??

Not quite Wonka, but then I am spoiled, I can read. :horror

LOL

I was never a fan of the original, but I do love the new version, so I'm looking forward to having a good figure of him. I'm choosing the Gentle Giant version, because I'm very pleased with it and it's easier on my wallet. I didn't like the 18 inch version because of the white face. I think both Medicom and Gentle Giant capture the face better.

Well,
I've seen both films and the only thing that'll get this argument to end is for Burton to do "Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator" :cool:

As for the figure, I like the Medicam version but the price makes me want to hurl. :google

Scott45

Back