Which do you like better: the books or the movies?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Books or Movies?

• Tolkien is the second coming of the messiah! The books are his unpolluted vision!

Votes: 14 24.1%
  • Jackson is the second coming of the messiah! The movies are the distilled vision!

Votes: 10 17.2%
  • Both are gods and I'm not worthy of their greatness!

Votes: 35 60.3%
  • What? There were books?

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Huh? What movies?

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters
Which do you think is better to do when you know a book is being made into a movie? Read the book before the movie comes out, or see the movie, then read the book?

I've never read The Hobbit and I'm debating on reading it before the movie or waiting till after. I also don't know whether to read the Lord of the Rings now, or read The Hobbit first. Geez, I make life difficult for myself, don't I?

Both. As been previously stated, Jackson brought his interpretation of the books to the screen. His choices in changes from the books were necessitated by the medium as well as to make the stories accessible for the audience who hadn't read the books. In most part, I think understand the changes and agree with them.

I've been reading LOTR nearly every year since 1967. Need I say more about my love for the books?

For those starting out in the Tolkien world, suggest reading Hobbit first. A good, if simplified, introduction to Middle Earth and some of its denizens. I read LOTR first, got hooked, then went to the Hobbit and I regard it as a "backstory" of sorts to LOTR. Regardless of which is read first, read before you see the movies. Will inform your viewing.

Hopefully, without sounding condescending, (so please forgive me if I do sound an ass!) I'm absolutely delighted that so many people on this thread have the intellectual breadth and maturity to love both media: movie and written word.
Like wetanut I've been reading Tolkein for more years than I care to remember and am quite the old fart now. I am fortunate enough to live in an area that inspired Tolkein in his trips out from Oxford, Bucklebury is a nearby village, Bagshot "Road" is nearby, as is Underhill and we have many barrows just a few miles away. I even drink in the "bird and baby" (Tolkein and Lewis' local: the Eagle and Child pub) when I am in Oxford, one of my two nearest towns. When I heard that they were making a movie I was aghast, how could they? Sacrilige! etc etc.
Suffice to say i loved Jacksons work so much that I was in New Zealand for the release of ROTK and did a full tour taking in the sights.
I love both the books and the movies and am so glad so many of you feel the same way.
Now all we need are a few more LOTR 12" figures and a bit less Star Wars.:D

I had to vote for both. Tolkien obviously made the best story ever with the LOTR series. Jackson did an amazing job with the movies, especially the extended versions. The books are great, but I'm more of a movie person and would rather watch it than read it.. :D

Both. As been previously stated, Jackson brought his interpretation of the books to the screen. His choices in changes from the books were necessitated by the medium as well as to make the stories accessible for the audience who hadn't read the books. In most part, I think understand the changes and agree with them.

I've been reading LOTR nearly every year since 1967. Need I say more about my love for the books?

For those starting out in the Tolkien world, suggest reading Hobbit first. A good, if simplified, introduction to Middle Earth and some of its denizens. I read LOTR first, got hooked, then went to the Hobbit and I regard it as a "backstory" of sorts to LOTR. Regardless of which is read first, read before you see the movies. Will inform your viewing.
Yep! That's pretty well my view!

books or movies...?

let me see... i don't open britannica books anymore, i would rather goto the internet...

I don't print my photos anymore, i just store them in my pc...

so i suppose, i don't buy as much books either coz they are readily available on the net... and already summarized and critiqued so you won't wast time... i can find a million things to do... than just sit down for hours and days reading one book... unless it's the bible, that is the only exception as far as i'm concerned, i ready that daily...

I love the books, I love the films. Yes, the movies do not have Tom Bombadil or the scouring of the shire, but I think the decision to leave that stuff out made sense. With a book you can read it and put it down and come back to it later. I only watch the extended editions anyway because the one thing Jackson did do wrong was leave Saurman out of the cinema version of ROTK. The last movie I saw that was crap compared to the book was the Golden compass:read

books or movies...?

let me see... i don't open britannica books anymore, i would rather goto the internet...

I don't print my photos anymore, i just store them in my pc...

so i suppose, i don't buy as much books either coz they are readily available on the net... and already summarized and critiqued so you won't wast time... i can find a million things to do... than just sit down for hours and days reading one book... unless it's the bible, that is the only exception as far as i'm concerned, i ready that daily...

Summarized books?
Blasphemy!

But seriously, I love books. I'm usually always reading one. I just love the feeling of sitting down and opening a book, it's a wonderfully relaxing way of opening your mind to new things. Or, at the very least, a fun way of passing the time.

Haven't read much of the bible.

I love the books, I love the films. Yes, the movies do not have Tom Bombadil or the scouring of the shire, but I think the decision to leave that stuff out made sense. With a book you can read it and put it down and come back to it later. I only watch the extended editions anyway because the one thing Jackson did do wrong was leave Saurman out of the cinema version of ROTK. The last movie I saw that was crap compared to the book was the Golden compass

You know, I didn't really care much for Bombadil. All the singing and jumping around got on my nerves. Actually, all the singing, jumping around and teary eyed wonder throughout the book gets on my nerves... but it's a great story.

Back