Where to start with anime ??

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ghost in the Shell - all series and movies
Appleseed
Cowboy Bebop series and movie
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Blue Gender

Fist of the North Star!!! How could I forget that one! Thanks carbo-fation. Absolutely positively a classic.

So what's Samurai 7 like then? I've heard good reviews.

Lets see.

You'll notice that Akira is NOT on my list. the movie is visualy stunning, but the story will leave you scrtching your head at parts. the movie is beautiful, but Akira needs to be READ not watched, go get the Manga first.

GENSHIKEN - We're all geeks here in one way or another, this particular anime is about anime Junkies. It's a GREAT series, It hits so very close to home. :)

Full Metal Alchemist. It starts out a bit slow, but it's a fantastic Series. You REALLY need to give it a go, ATLEAST watch the first 10 episodes, if you're not hooked by then, you never will be.

AH! My Goddess - Everyone needs a good Japanese romance comedy every now and then, this is one of the best

Hellsing - Vampires, BIG FREAKING GUNS, And LOTS of Blood. Watch the OAV, NOT the TV series. ( the OAV is the newer series, and follows the comics much closer)

Ranma 1/2 - Martial artist and his father go to China to train at cursed springs, Ranma falls into a pool, and so does his father, now when splashed with cold water his father becomes a Panda, and Ranma Becomes a Girl. Hilarity Ensues. & seasons, 2 movies, GREAT series, also allong the same vien of Romance/martial arts/ comedy as Ah! My Goddess

Trinity Blood _ Vampires, Post apocaliptic future, Blood, The catholic church, Robots, and the Inquisition , sounds goofy, but it's great. Humans are the top of the food chain untill vampires come along, but what if there is something hugher up than Vampires ?

Golden Boy - You will laugh till you pee

Escaflowne - Robotech in a high Fantasy setting

Excell Saga - You'll laugh till you Pee

Ghost in the Shell - Everything that needs to be said has already been said. Set aside 180$ before you watch it, as you'll likely end up pre-ordering the Medicom Motoko figure. Personal preference is Stand alone Complex over the movies.

Deathnote - Again, Just a great series, and you might want to set aside some cash before you watch it as well, for the same reason as Ghost in the shell.

Now that we've all recomended what we like to you, Can i ask a question? Tell me some reguar TV shows and movies you like, and why you like them, and i can better find anime that you'd like.

It's great that you brought up Genshiken, Lerath, but I don't think many anime newcomers will understand the many intricacies of otaku culture and the myriad culture references in that series. It's a great series, but not one to indoctrinate yourself into anime.

Anyway, Ghost in the Shell > Gits SAC > GitS Innocence. Watch in that order, if possible. Of course, this is personal preference, but I think the movies are much more sophisticated than the tv series. Not to mention the movies avoid many of the dangerous cliches that are usually associated with anime (disgustingly cute characters, story archs that drag on or go nowhere) and unfortunately, the gits tv series succumbs to at times.

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with Cute Characters. Just because you don't like them..

Anyway I think if you're new to anime but have seen Japanese Live action films, it's probably best to stick to series with not too much commitment and are fairly self contained around 1-26 episodes each. Or you can go with feature films, seems to be what most starting anime fans watch in thier rookie days.

Also depends on what genres you like. If you're coming from Horror then you prob want something more adult or darker in tone. There have been some great reccomendations so far but some of them are a bit too "advanced" and if you're new to anime you may not have acquired the taste to be able to enjoy it fully. I think it's best to stick to something which is fairly self contained. Here's a list of what I think would be good for someone starting out, most of which have been already mentioned but these are the titles you can go into without any kind of prep or experience, only the (mostly) self contained stuff and not too much culture shock.

TV series- All are around 20 some episodes each or less and most can be bought in the US in boxset form. Most are fairly easy to follow even if you never watched anime before.

Berserk
Gantz
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
Samurai 7
Speed Grapher
Basilisk
NOIR
Gilgamesh
Guyver TV series
Gankutsuou
Planetes
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Ultimate Hellsing (Altho it's not being released in the US anymore)

If you don't mind watching something longer like around 50 episodes each I would also recommend these series-

Ghost in the Shell SAC 1st and 2nd gig
Gundam Seed
Full Metal Alchemist
Super Dimensional Fortress Macross (This one is older just so you know)
Death Note

These are the films I'd recommend-

Jin Roh
New Appleseed movies
Ninja Scroll
Millenium Actress
Perfect Blue
Paprika
Tokyo Godfathers
Grave of the Fireflies

Many ppl mention Miyazaki and they're great but they are lighter in tone by comparison with what I have listed above. I'm just basing this on the fact you mentioned you like Horror. If you don't mind something more light hearted in nature then All of Studio Ghibli films are a Recommended.

Also if you're the sentimental type Like I am, I'd also reccomend these films. Although the visual may relate better to someone who grew up in Japan like myself, I think the Powerful Meaning in these films anyone can relate to-

Voices of a Distant Star
The Place Promised in Our Early Days
5 Centimeters Per Second
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

In my opinion these are 4 of the Greatest films ever made and I go through a box of tissue every time I watch them.

A bit late in the game but hope you may find something you like -_^

I have no problems with cute characters, but I was speaking in context, it does not belong in anime like GitS.

In this case I'm speaking of GitS SAC's Tachikomas. Think about it from a realist perspective, why give the tachikomas a cute voice? A childish demeanor? Why else but to make $$$ off obligatory collectibles and toys.

And they even get their own cutesy mini-episode trailing at the end of the regular SAC episodes. ugh.

Anyway, I don't like acting the contrarian especially considering this is all personal preference (I guess I should throw in a ubiquitous "IMO" in front of everything I say just to calm people down), but I thought Voices of a Distant Star, 5 Centimeters Per Second, and the other ones were pretentious, slow moving, and lugubrious. The sentimentality is over the top...even more so than in other anime. I wouldn't tell you to avoid seeing them outright, just be ready to choke down the huge helpings of cheese.

Watch Akira and Metropolis and be done with it.

I thought Voices of a Distant Star, 5 Centimeters Per Second, and the other ones were pretentious, slow moving, and lugubrious. The sentimentality is over the top...even more so than in other anime. I wouldn't tell you to avoid seeing them outright, just be ready to choke down the huge helpings of cheese.

:horror
Wha-what?! You, sir, have no soul. The Makoto Shinkai films are absolutely stunning and poetic. The true beauty of those films is that the characters feel and react like real people, dealing with honest human relationships. If you've ever felt the pain of a long distance relationship, or longed for someone who didn't return the sentiment, you should be able to connect with these characters. And the art is so stunning that you forget you're watching animation. Even my wife couldn't pull away from the screen.

I have no problems with cute characters, but I was speaking in context, it does not belong in anime like GitS.

In this case I'm speaking of GitS SAC's Tachikomas. Think about it from a realist perspective, why give the tachikomas a cute voice? A childish demeanor? Why else but to make $$$ off obligatory collectibles and toys.

And they even get their own cutesy mini-episode trailing at the end of the regular SAC episodes. ugh.

I personally love the Tachikomas but that's just me. It's also to note that the Tachikomas in GITS SAC have been very successful, with lots of sellout toys and various items. Even the Tachikoma short specials have been well recieved by fans. While I can see why some ppl like yourself may not like them, you cannot deny that the "cute" idea has been very successful.

Anyway, I don't like acting the contrarian especially considering this is all personal preference (I guess I should throw in a ubiquitous "IMO" in front of everything I say just to calm people down), but I thought Voices of a Distant Star, 5 Centimeters Per Second, and the other ones were pretentious, slow moving, and lugubrious. The sentimentality is over the top...even more so than in other anime. I wouldn't tell you to avoid seeing them outright, just be ready to choke down the huge helpings of cheese.

Watch Akira and Metropolis and be done with it.

I cannot believe someone just put down my main man Makoto Shinkai's films like that..

I think it's safe to say that you are NOT a sentimental person and that you cannot appreciate the beauty of some of the most touching films ever made. I don't know what kind of life you've had but it makes me wonder if you've ever felt Heartbreak before. Or wanted to be with someone but couldn't because they didn't feel the same about you Or felt the regret of not being able to tell someone you love how you feel about them and losing that chance forever.

I won't say anymore.

:horror
Wha-what?! You, sir, have no soul. The Makoto Shinkai films are absolutely stunning and poetic. The true beauty of those films is that the characters feel and react like real people, dealing with honest human relationships. If you've ever felt the pain of a long distance relationship, or longed for someone who didn't return the sentiment, you should be able to connect with these characters. And the art is so stunning that you forget you're watching animation. Even my wife couldn't pull away from the screen.

My brother Crasis always got good tastes

Grave of the Fireflies

Just a good movie, never mind it being a good anime movie.
Very touching and visually beautiful.

-Ray

I cannot believe someone just put down my main man Makoto Shinkai's films like that..

I think it's safe to say that you are NOT a sentimental person and that you cannot appreciate the beauty of some of the most touching films ever made. I don't know what kind of life you've had but it makes me wonder if you've ever felt Heartbreak before. Or wanted to be with someone but couldn't because they didn't feel the same about you Or felt the regret of not being able to tell someone you love how you feel about them and losing that chance forever.

I won't say anymore.

Awwww, T-K that hurt me, I am fully capable of sentiment. To each his own, but I will admit that Makoto Shinkai's efforts are stunning, it's just that I don't like the stories, that's all. It's heartfelt and romantic and all that, but I had to be honest...the melancholy is heavy-handed.

Oh yeah, Karas is visually interesting and so is Afro-Samurai. I wish Afro-Samurai was subtitled though. Sam Jackson's voice over of the sidekick character is really irritating.

I haven't seen all the Full-Metal Alchemist, but what I have seen is very good. That goes for Death Note as well...good stuff.

I think I would be going for the more intellectual ones and mature stuff.
To be honest I have seen dragon ball z a few times and am totally lost as to whats going on , I just see guys in different colored suits kicking each other in the face then say " wtf " and turn it off. I think if I was to start with that it would definitely have to be at the begging !. :lol
Well anyway Akira is on the way , so that will be the first one guys !!!! :rock:rock

Re Akira, you really need to read the Manga to understand the anime, but it's great nonetheless. And I think Ghost in the Shell is going to take care of your intellectual cravings.

Here is the best way to explane the akira movie ( Bear with me as I'm making up the numbers, as I'm not sure to the actual ones, but I'm doing my best to keep them close to what I Think it is. here we go, ok? )
The akira Manga is something like 34 volumes of comics.
Each Individual volume is somewhere around 500 pages. it is one Long ongoing, interconnectiong story. Each part is important to the overall story.
The Movie Version is Essintialy Somewhere around Volume 15. there is ALOT of story that is simply not there. it's not ignored, it's simply not told in the movie.

Here is the best way to explane the akira movie ( Bear with me as I'm making up the numbers, as I'm not sure to the actual ones, but I'm doing my best to keep them close to what I Think it is. here we go, ok? )
The akira Manga is something like 34 volumes of comics.
Each Individual volume is somewhere around 500 pages. it is one Long ongoing, interconnectiong story. Each part is important to the overall story.
The Movie Version is Essintialy Somewhere around Volume 15. there is ALOT of story that is simply not there. it's not ignored, it's simply not told in the movie.

AKIRA Is only 6 volumes long.

I think the version you speak of is the US Color release which divided each volume into individual US style comics for US readers.

The Movie is great to see the characters animated and have voices but the Manga is a Million times better. If anyone is seriously considering to check out AKIRA I'd Read the Manga first.

AKIRA Is only 6 volumes long.

I think the version you speak of is the US Color release which divided each volume into individual US style comics for US readers.

The Movie is great to see the characters animated and have voices but the Manga is a Million times better. If anyone is seriously considering to check out AKIRA I'd Read the Manga first.

i'll second that. the movie just pales in comparison, as good as it is.

Awwww, T-K that hurt me, I am fully capable of sentiment. To each his own, but I will admit that Makoto Shinkai's efforts are stunning, it's just that I don't like the stories, that's all. It's heartfelt and romantic and all that, but I had to be honest...the melancholy is heavy-handed.

I guess in the end not everyone's gonna like what you make no matter how good or incredible it is to other ppl. It's all good.

most of the recommendation here are great, as a personal note, i would probably avoid long running series like DB, naruto, or bleach as a staring point simply because they waste so many time recap the previous episode and uses a lot of repeat cheats to fill an episode, seriously, they can cut 3-4 episode into 1 and it would not seem rushed. Dont get me wrong, they are fun to watch when the story gets going, but getting there takes real patience.

Back