When are you considered poor?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Few of us have ever seen rural communities in parts of Africa, Eastern Europe, Asia, or Latin America where there are few to no governmental subsidies or safety nets to assist folks. Those people often really struggle to get by, and as a result have to face malnutrition, little to no education, a lack of proper shelter, etc. That's real poverty.

I wonder how many POs they have. Sounds like 2, 3 figures a year max.

So living in a room with no utilities, which would mean you'd have to find somewhere else to bathe and ****. No lighting. No water. No fridge. No money to go to the doctor.

Come on, please tell me that isn't poverty level living.

Ummm...Weenie...I meant utilities included in the rent...sorry for my lack of clarity.

as a reminder people, it's not what you make, it's what you keep. i've lived on $10,000 a year but i had 2 roommates in a 3 bedroom townhouse.

I know quite well that I can support myself on 11,000 dollars a year without feeling poverty stricken. I did it last year. I lived in a brand new studio apartment in a facility that had two swimming pools, a spa, a weight room, a dedicated laundry, and armed security on the premises 24/7...and high speed internet access.

Nobody can tell me that 11,000 dollars is not enough to stay above pverty level for a single person.

Now when you get to the 2, 3, 4 and up numbers at the quoted poverty level...I have to call shennanigans.

sounds like you got lucky, nothing more. That facility that you say you lived in, I don't think many people can have the luck of finding that for cheap.

you lucked out, doesn't mean everyone else can.

the homeless/HOBOS/bums are overweight, smokes like a chimney, and have a drinking problem.

...and they(homeless/HOBOS/bums) call me POOR.

the homeless/HOBOS/bums are overweight, smokes like a chimney, and have a drinking problem.

...and they(homeless/HOBOS/bums) call me POOR.

they even have laptops sometimes lol :lol

I remember this homeless guy telling a couple he was talking to that he had 15K stashed somewhere around Downtown, along with a gun........

sounds like you got lucky, nothing more. That facility that you say you lived in, I don't think many people can have the luck of finding that for cheap.

you lucked out, doesn't mean everyone else can.

No matter how many people deny it...I know better.

It's alarming that people from the wealthiest nation are talking about poverty here but you guys finally gave me an idea what translates as poverty in America.

Growing up, my idea of what is considered as poor in America I got from the movie "Pretty in Pink" (I was a teen back then so all I watched are those 80's "Brat Pack" flicks). The film is a chick flick at the surface but it is in essence about class war. Molly Ringwald plays a poor girl but her house is quite huge and will be considered "wealthy" by a 3rd Worlder like me. When I saw her 2-storey house, I was like "what, that's supposed to be poor?"

I believe I'm the poorest here :panic:, I do have a modest collection of 1/6 figures but at 43 years old, I'm still single because I can't afford to get married and raise children. I'm so poor I never had a girlfriend in my entire life!

^^ Molly in Pretty in Pink wasn't poor. She was working class and considered "under" some of the kids that looked down on her and thought she was better.

And the US isn't the wealthiest nation, we just have some of the wealthiest people. Big difference.

Yeah, I do get the wrong ideas from your movies. I thought America was the wealthiest because of what I heard from "Enemy Of The State" (or was it "Swordfish"?) Hard to believe the U.S. isn't the wealthiest looking at your military hardware.

It's alarming that people from the wealthiest nation are talking about poverty here but you guys finally gave me an idea what translates as poverty in America.

Growing up, my idea of what is considered as poor in America I got from the movie "Pretty in Pink" (I was a teen back then so all I watched are those 80's "Brat Pack" flicks). The film is a chick flick at the surface but it is in essence about class war. Molly Ringwald plays a poor girl but her house is quite huge and will be considered "wealthy" by a 3rd Worlder like me. When I saw her 2-storey house, I was like "what, that's supposed to be poor?"

I believe I'm the poorest here :panic:, I do have a modest collection of 1/6 figures but at 43 years old, I'm still single because I can't afford to get married and raise children. I'm so poor I never had a girlfriend in my entire life!
No. I'm poor

Yeah, I do get the wrong ideas from your movies. I thought America was the wealthiest because of what I heard from "Enemy Of The State" (or was it "Swordfish"?) Hard to believe the U.S. isn't the wealthiest looking at your military hardware.
You didn't watch any of Michael Bay's movies, did you?

We have the highest GDP of any other country according to the UN in 2011. IMF and World Bank count the EU as a single nation, and they outranked us in 2012. China is third with about half of what we're worth.

GDP per capita, we rank 7th and 6th, respectively.

iJtsVR8eol87t.gif

WTF!?!?

Back