Whedon is now mainstream

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've run into resistance in all the forums I want to delete - even if the front page sits with the same threads for days.

I guess there is no harm in leaving the different divisions - we'll just need to make it clear that this forum is Pre-Avengers Joss.

Dave to the rescue. :rock

I think that's more than fair.

Whedonville should be the home of Joss Whedon's creations (i.e. Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Dr. Horrible)... not when he is a director for hire trying to pump life into an already existing franchise (i.e. saving the Marvel Universe singlehandedly). :wink1:

Marvel was doing just fine without him

Just keeping telling yourself that and you'll be just fine... while I watch Joss direct the only watchable Hulk ever put on screen. :lol

He also gave Tony Stark his best lines ever. Period.

Gee... how much did each Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 make globally after the Avengers bump, I forgot....

Last edited:
Not to mention his track record before Avengers wasn't exactly stellar either. Nor am I impressed with Agents of SHIELD, which he had a hand in as well.

Not to mention his track record before Avengers wasn't exactly stellar either. Nor am I impressed with Agents of SHIELD, which he had a hand in as well.

Uhhh, yes it was pretty stellar.

Buffy/Angel came with critical success. Also came with a strong following of fans. FireFly and Serenity also had some success among fans and the critics loved both. He also had a hand in Toy Story. Lets not be ignorant. There is a reason why he was tabbed the director of the Avengers. Only the third top grossing film of all-time. Also, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is more his brother (Jed) vs. him. He lended his name to the project, mostly in a producing capasity. That's about it. Wished people were a tad bit more informed on things before spouting off.

Uhhh, yes it was pretty stellar.

Ummm, not really. His track record was rather spotty. I mean, that was his whole joke about him, this beloved geek god, but his stuff always ended up getting cancelled and not reaching that critical mass to be financially viable.

Buffy was a huge smash, which allowed him to do Angel, which did okay, then he did Firefly, which was cancelled, then Angel was cancelled, then Buffy was cancelled. Then, he tried again with Dollhouse, which was not great, and was cancelled.

I have his entire run on Astonishing X-Men, the first arc or two were awesome. But it got rather strange around the Danger storyline, and it just didn't end well.

I'm pretty sure the Serenity movie didn't do all that well at the box office either.

He does great stuff, but it wasn't until The Avengers where he reached critical mass. Now, he's being given carte blanche, which is probably great, because I tend to think that it's outside interference, handing him notes and such and telling him to do things a certain way, that just doesn't work. All the Buffy and Angel eps he did were great, you can always tell what's a Joss ep and what's not.

Ummm, not really. His track record was rather spotty. I mean, that was his whole joke about him, this beloved geek god, but his stuff always ended up getting cancelled and not reaching that critical mass to be financially viable.

Buffy was a huge smash, which allowed him to do Angel, which did okay, then he did Firefly, which was cancelled, then Angel was cancelled, then Buffy was cancelled. Then, he tried again with Dollhouse, which was not great, and was cancelled.

I have his entire run on Astonishing X-Men, the first arc or two were awesome. But it got rather strange around the Danger storyline, and it just didn't end well.

I'm pretty sure the Serenity movie didn't do all that well at the box office either.

He does great stuff, but it wasn't until The Avengers where he reached critical mass. Now, he's being given carte blanche, which is probably great, because I tend to think that it's outside interference, handing him notes and such and telling him to do things a certain way, that just doesn't work. All the Buffy and Angel eps he did were great, you can always tell what's a Joss ep and what's not.

Wrong! Buffy wasn't cancelled and get this Angel was one of the CW's top 2 highest rating programs when it got cancelled. First, they (the now CW) were fed up with Fox stiffing them by constantly jacking up the renewal fees and then there was the bidding war between theWB and UPN (which UPN won)... Shortly there after, and coincidentally the two formed theCW. Secondly they were coming out with another vampire show and felt two would be too much. That show didn't pan out. Angel had a strong 5th season. It was an error on CW's judgement.. One that would cost them.

Buffy ended on its own merits. Both Joss and the actors decided it ran its course and wanted to end on a high vs. drag it out like an X-Files. It ended in 2003. Angel ended in 2005 due to a mistake of the CW thinking their new vampire series would take off where Angel ended. It didn't and they took themselves out of a show that was giving them great returns for cable TV. Your facts on what was cancelled and the order of which it happened are incorrect.

Seriously though, did you not read my above post?

Dollhouse was meh, but I was told that was a Jed Whedon deal as well. I am not entirely sure on that. I didn't follow it or care to... didn't do much for me. Apparently Eliza was jokingly coming up with a concept with Joss at a lunch gathering and the two were like what they hey, lets do it for ****s and giggles...

As for FireFly, it was not really given a chance. It was given the kiss of death by given a Friday night time slot and its time was constantly moved and episodes of the series were not constant from week-to-week. A show can't grow viewership if its average viewer can't find it or is not in-the-know. Similar fates have happened to shows like Futurama and Arrested Development. Now for Serenity not being a smash hit, it does have a cult following. Again, it had strong critical success... may not have been a big money maker, but it's one of those movies that will get lots of love through word of mouth via the geek masses.

Again, he must have done something right, because here we are years later with one of the best super hero films to date, and a top 3 grossing film of all-time.

Last edited:

Popular with the geek crowd, but no one gave 2 ****s about Whedon until he did the Avengers. There's a reason Buffy, Angel, Firefly, etc. were dead franchises.

Wrong! Buffy wasn't cancelled and get this Angel was one of the CW's top 2 highest rating programs when it got cancelled. First, they (the now CW) were fed up with Fox stiffing them by constantly jacking up the renewal fees and then there was the bidding war between theWB and UPN (which UPN won)... Shortly there after, and coincidentally the two formed theCW. Secondly they were coming out with another vampire show and felt two would be too much. That show didn't pan out. Angel had a strong 5th season. It was an error on CW's judgement.. One that would cost them.

Buffy ended on its own merits. Both Joss and the actors decided it ran its course and wanted to end on a high vs. drag it out like an X-Files. It ended in 2003. Angel ended in 2005 due to a mistake of the CW thinking their new vampire series would take off where Angel ended. It didn't and they took themselves out of a show that was giving them great returns for cable TV. Your facts on what was cancelled and the order of which it happened are incorrect.

Seriously though, did you not read my above post?

Dollhouse was meh, but I was told that was a Jed Whedon deal as well. I am not entirely sure on that. I didn't follow it or care to... didn't do much for me. Apparently Eliza was jokingly coming up with a concept with Joss at a lunch gathering and the two were like what they hey, lets do it for ****s and giggles...

As for FireFly, it was not really given a chance. It was given the kiss of death by given a Friday night time slot and its time was constantly moved and episodes of the series were not constant from week-to-week. A show can't grow viewership if its average viewer can't find it or is not in-the-know. Similar fates have happened to shows like Futurama and Arrested Development. Now for Serenity not being a smash hit, it does have a cult following. Again, it had strong critical success... may not have been a big money maker, but it's one of those movies that will get lots of love through word of mouth via the geek masses.

Again, he must have done something right, because here we are years later with one of the best super hero films to date, and a top 3 grossing film of all-time.

Great post... but you are wasting your time and energy replying to the Marvel Trolls that permeate this entire forum. They are not interested in any pesky facts.

Just smile and wave, boys. Just smile and wave.

Never argue with an idiot... they pull you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Whedon had already solidified his legacy well before his directing involvement with Marvel. I can't count how many lists 'best of' lists Buffy has made. Angel was a success in its own right. Firefly got canceled because Fox was being Fox. And Dollhouse was before its time, IMO. I really got a kick out of that one. Again, give it to ANY other network and I can almost guarantee that it would have lasted longer.

The Avengers movie would've been big without Joss, BUT it wouldn't have been THAT big. Marvel was smart by seeking out Joss. He knows the source material better than any other director out there, IMO. He's been writing for Marvel for years, so it should've been a no brainer.

Not quite sure where all of this commotion is about though. :lol Marvel will continue to do its own thing, and so will Joss, with or without each other.

Back