What's your purchasing habit like?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought my first HT figure in 2007 and yeah the first 2 years was all over the place.Ive collected many things,and learned that figures you are unsure about,don't get them because you will end up selling them later.

The Past 2 years ive been very selective,my only miss was Dx jack sparrow that ive allready sold.The rest are keepers for a long time.

My best tip is,collect based on your character/movie interest instead of how amazing the figure look,don't let the hype and big interest on this board affect you,unless you want to.

I'm joining a gym and changing my diet so i'm cutting back my collectible budget from $1265 to $950 a quarter.

Good timing considering the price increase making things too much to justify for what you get.

For ThreeA i'll keep up as much as i can

For Sideshow i've got two statues for 2013 that i'll order and am gonna stick to just that unless Apocalypse or Nova come along

And for Hot Toys there's only four lines i'll be getting... X-Men, Expendables, Metal Gear Solid & Sucker Punch. They hardly get any figures so that'll be easy :lol

Last edited:
I used to be pretty selective only with items I really wanted from licenses I liked. Recently I've started to lose control and I'll buy whatever looks cool or of high quality. I need to regain focus again.

I buy anything that looks cool IMO, I may or not have been a big fan of a video game/movie but the character is awesome so I'm buying the action figure, Im not obsessed with just one character (eg. catwoman) I dont' strive to have an entire line of something either.
When i first saw the Hot Toys Ironman Mark III from the ironman movie (my fav. movie), thought it was the coolest thing ever, thus i started watching what SideShow and hottoys was releasing but the price has always kept me at bay, left me feeling skeptical. Until just last month I decided to sell my Asus Transformer so I could have cash to spend, with out the wife being mad, at SteelCity Con there I bought my very first 1/6th scale action figure, Ironman mark II armor unleashed (can't believe how much the Mark III goes for on ebay) since then I bought 3 other 1/6 af (a ht predator tracker, ss cobra commander and ss cobra viper) and I have 3 more on pre-order. I can't believe the detail of these action figures over my previous purchases of 6" figures. Sure the price is alot higher but they are so much cooler to display and thus 1/6 scale is my new collecting hobby.

If anybody has any good ideas on reasonable Displays, please let me know, i'm looking for best way to start displaying these action figures, Thanks.

I only got into 1:6 in the past year so I had already a pretty selective collection of other memorabilia. That being said, while I focus on one or two licenses I will occasionally go out of them to get that one figure that just makes me 'wow.'

I only buy what I really like, I try to keep within my focus, and thus I rarely sell stuff from my collection.

Started with the hot toys Predator line... then branched into Aliens.... then branched into Terminator. I'm really trying to stay away from the other lines I could easily be sucked into (star wars / marvel / resident evil)... Gotta try to maintain some semblance of control.

I just got into this hobby 3months ago and almost lost control. I started with hot toys classic predator and berserker predator. Then I bought the hot toys iron man with the gantry and noticed I really didn't like like the gantry. Now Im more cautious about what I buy. I only collect hot toys predators and one batman and joker form each movie. If they make a batman and joker from the arkham games I'll get those too.

These figures are like, so cool. It's hard not to get the ones that grab you.

i buy toys when i have extra cash to burn.

cash only. i never use my credit cards.

and i buy to keep. never sold a single figure since i started in 2007.

I didn't even know about Hot Toys (my focus) until May of this year, kept admiring from a distance and finally pulled the trigger on pre-ordering several. My only HT at the moment is SS EX Classic Predator. The primary focus of my collection will be the stuff I grew up with Predator/Terminator/Metal Gear Solid/Select Marvel characters. So many great figures out there, but I can't justify getting anything that doesn't have significance to me.

It's a slippery slope! After my first pre-order there was a second, third, etc.

Don't have an allotment for figures, just get the ones I'm really into, and after the wave Batman figures are done, I think it will be a very select few here and there.

I buy what I like as well. I've also limited myself to only marvel/dc stuff.

So far I only get stuff related to movies that I love it figured that I love. It's working pretty well for my budget, also I started to focus my purchases in hot toy stuff and have sold other parts of my collection (marvel legends, etc) to help fund my ht PO.

Here is how my collecting goes...

1. See item that looks great and I can't live without.
2. Buy item.
3. Wait and Wait and Wait and Wait for it to ship.
3. Receive item and display it and enjoy it.
4. 6 Months later see something even better that looks great and that I can't live without.
5. Sell first item to make space for and get money for 2nd item.

Repeat.

I used to buy everything out there, did some spring cleaning and realized I have more stuff in storage filling up the attic and garage than on display. Sold almost everything. Gave away the rest. I only buy what I hope to never sell. Keeping the collection small to an elite few.

collecting for bout a year and a half, I buy stuff whenever a can off afford it but storage is now becoming an issue hmmmmmm....

Patience is the key. My last Ht's figure was Jack's Joker. My next scheduled figure is DX - T800. I have money set aside for another four HT’s purchases before I start to redline my funds. If I want the figures I want: DX T-800, Returns Penguin & Batman, SS Darth Vader and Rocky (one fine day). Then I stay focused and try not to go tangent about other figures that would be “nice to have”!!

Back