What's Your Next-Gen Console of Choice?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your next-gen console of choice?

• Total voters

Jay Virtual

Super Freak
Reaction score
Have you bought a next (technically current) gen console or do you plan to? Discuss here!

I have a launch PS5 as my main system and a Series S I got for cheap to use Game Pass with. I'll probably eventually sell the latter as I don't really use Game Pass too much, and I went for PS5 since I knew FF16 and future 7 Remake games would likely be exclusive to it. That said, if I weren't bothered about FF, I'd have probably gotten a Series X.

PS5 for physical copies of the games I enjoy most, PC for everything else.

I’m leaning towards a PS5. I like both PlayStation and Xbox but I feel like PlayStation has more exclusives I want to play. There are still some PS4 games I haven’t played yet.

I also have a Nintendo Switch currently which I enjoy quite a bit.

I have a PS5 an Xbox Series X and a high spec gaming laptop. Each has their things I like, but I really mostly a console gamer. That being said. Microsoft needs to step up their first party releases.

After failing to find a PS5 at retail prices, I went for a Steam Deck and I didn't realized how much it made me more motivated to play more games.

The Deck signs in to your Steam account and pretty much plays everything you can throw at it at respectable or high settings (Elden Ring runs smoothly without any stutters). It also runs emulation so anything Xbox 360/PS3 and below is usually not an issue with the Steam Deck. You can suspend and resume your game at the press of a button so it's extremely easy to play games even when you're outdoors or occupied. I guess the most remarkable thing about it is that I finally feel compelled to go trough my gaming backlog to finally beat stuff I'd never find the time to, such as Death Stranding which all could be done anywhere be it in bed or when I'm outdoors. I definitely recommended it if that idea sounds appealing to anyone reading this.

Maybe this is a good place to ask, but since I somewhat prefer playing on PC, but have a nice home theater system, is there a method of playing PC games and outputting to an AVR? I'd assume it would be as easy as having a super long HDMI cable from my PC to my AVR, but I think the PC outputs video and audio as two separate signals, so that wouldn't work.

Since you can typically get good deals on PC games over their console counterpart, it just seems to make more sense to play PC games while sitting on the couch.

Maybe this is a good place to ask, but since I somewhat prefer playing on PC, but have a nice home theater system, is there a method of playing PC games and outputting to an AVR? I'd assume it would be as easy as having a super long HDMI cable from my PC to my AVR, but I think the PC outputs video and audio as two separate signals, so that wouldn't work.

Since you can typically get good deals on PC games over their console counterpart, it just seems to make more sense to play PC games while sitting on the couch.
I have my laptop and desktop hooked up to the AVR just fine and games output in the appropriate surround channels. While PC hardware can vary wildly, in most cases outputting surround channels should be straightforward while laptops can be a bit fiddly especially if the HDMI is a 1.4 port.

I guess you should try it out first, but do remember that longer HDMI cables have to be a higher quality, contrary to the common misconception that "A digital HDMI cable is just a HDMI cable", which is wrong for longer running cables.

I'm a PC guy, but with certain ports being poorly optimized, I'm leaning towards getting a PS5 on the side.
It tends to get a bit frustrating when a former PS4 game (Uncharted 4) stutters and lags with an i9 and a 3070 ti. lol

I have my laptop hooked up to my TV and my TV hooked up to my avr. No problems.

Awesome! I remember you were having some trouble tracking one down. Glad it finally worked out!
Thanks man it's a really nice console I even like the futuristic alien design and the controller blew me away I can't wait to play Ragnarok on it next week!

Thanks man it's a really nice console I even like the futuristic alien design and the controller blew me away I can't wait to play Ragnarok on it next week!
Happy for you bud! I'm so torn on what to do about Ragnarok, I didn't play the 2018 game nor the one before that, so I'm so far behind on the series. The game looks incredible though, I hope you enjoy it!

I have my laptop and desktop hooked up to the AVR just fine and games output in the appropriate surround channels. While PC hardware can vary wildly, in most cases outputting surround channels should be straightforward while laptops can be a bit fiddly especially if the HDMI is a 1.4 port.

I guess you should try it out first, but do remember that longer HDMI cables have to be a higher quality, contrary to the common misconception that "A digital HDMI cable is just a HDMI cable", which is wrong for longer running cables.

Okay, so it is possible. My thought process was, if I'm going to spend $500 on a new console, why not put that money towards a new video card? All XBox games seem to be out on PC, or are at least available through PC on GamePass. And most of the PS games are on PC. I figure TLOU will release eventually.

So, rather than sitting in my work space to play games, it would make more sense to sit on my couch and play games.

I guess the question is, if I have dual monitors in my work set-up, do I need a video card with three HDMI outs? And then what about the sound? My PC is about 10 years old at this point, and is just using on-board sound. So how do you get multi-channel sound from the PC? I assume video cards don't output sound, so do you have a second cable like an optical audio cable running from the PC? I don't know what the technology is at nowadays.

Happy for you bud! I'm so torn on what to do about Ragnarok, I didn't play the 2018 game nor the one before that, so I'm so far behind on the series. The game looks incredible though, I hope you enjoy it!
I love the God of War franchise and would definitely recommend it if you're thinking about playing those games however the great thing about GoW 2018 is that playing the previous games, mainly the trilogy, is not 100% necessary in fact it might elevate your expirience as a new player not knowing about Kratos's past much like his son doesn't.

Okay, so it is possible. My thought process was, if I'm going to spend $500 on a new console, why not put that money towards a new video card? All XBox games seem to be out on PC, or are at least available through PC on GamePass. And most of the PS games are on PC. I figure TLOU will release eventually.

So, rather than sitting in my work space to play games, it would make more sense to sit on my couch and play games.

I guess the question is, if I have dual monitors in my work set-up, do I need a video card with three HDMI outs? And then what about the sound? My PC is about 10 years old at this point, and is just using on-board sound. So how do you get multi-channel sound from the PC? I assume video cards don't output sound, so do you have a second cable like an optical audio cable running from the PC? I don't know what the technology is at nowadays.

More less the same with me, I'm a console gamer but I've been slowly switching to playing games on PC due to convince (plus the damn PS5 is still hard to find). With the existence of the Steam Deck, I can easily take my games with me and continue on the big screen when I get home which feels like magic.

To get your AV receiver working with your current output, you could use a HDMI Splitter, but at least in my experience, it tends to strip the digital audio. Most modern motherboards can output surround sound no issues and the HDMI from your videocard should be able to output audio no problem. The thing about an Optical or coax cable is that it's limited to DTS and DD5.1 so it's kinda outdated and blu ray movies (and games) have taken advantage the newer codecs. Of course at the end of the day I'm just generalizing here since every hardware is wildly different, your best bet is to probably start with a "premium certified" HDMI cable from your PC to your AV receiver and see how it works out from there.

Back