What's your holy grail action figure or the centerpiece of your action figures?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had a few grail toy chases in my life.

The first and longest pursuit was for a Blank figure from the **** Tracy line. I remember wanting him so bad and not finding him the summer the film was released. Than fall came and an employee at our local Toy Liquidators was telling my family that he was out in Canada but not here - this was before the Internet so I'm guilty of not believing him.

I finally wrote a letter, with my moms help, and sent it off to Playmates Toys. They actually sent me a letter back months later. In the letter they addressed my enthusiasm but as a company had decided not to manufacture the Blank. I held onto that letter for years ... But you get older, get a girlfriend, and eventually that letter disappears. Funny that my dad knew enough to tell me at the time that the letter may be worth something someday. How I wish I had it to post online!

I believed the letter until I finally had proof of the figure thanks to toy magazines like Lee's and eventually a local dealer by the name of Dr. Tongue's who told me of how he had sold a few. By than the letter was gone so all I have is my word that Playmates said they werent going to manufacture him.

Years later, thanks to ebay, I'm the owner of at least two carded Blanks. I had a third but sold it. Still, an interesting adventure for a figure .....

My second quest which at times ran parallel to the first was for a complete collection of Kenner Robin Hood toys, including the rare Sherwood Forest. Again, years of no internet or shops dealing in secondary market toys had me only imaging these but around 2002 and thanks to ebay, I was able to get all of the figures carded, both mini weapon sets and the Forest - all mint in box. Later a boxed Battle Wagon came across the pond and I finally had the set. I remember checking online everyday for months trying to track down that playset. Something about those toys completely captures the fun of what movie toys can be for kids who arent concerened about articulation and realism.

The third quest is much more recent.

This summer I began recollecting Zizzle Pirates of the Caribbean figures and playsets. I never knew until last month that there was an ultra rare last wave and that Cutler Beckett and Singapore Warrior Elizabeth Swann were such hard to get figures. While I have been able to gain much of the line I didn't expect to find those two. Googling the subject turned up old posts of fellow collectors and their quests, some with luck but most without. But the toy fates must be shining on me because thanks to ebay UK I now have both figures, carded and finishing up my collection. I hate to admit it, but I'm actually going to open both since I've opened up everyone else in my set.

Three grail quests complete and frankly I don't want anymore. The quests are too expensive for something that I have no guarantee won't disintegrate beyond recognition 20 years from now. These are enough.

Best of luck to all of you in your quests!

When I was avidly collecting 6" superhero stuff, my grail was Dragon Man. It's a giant dragon guy and i'll be damned if I didn't have him. Sadly, that figure was shorted and of course became one of the most elusive figures you can get for marvel legends aside from the super super rare ones, let's just say the most rare and under $500. I lucked out one day and found a guy selling a perfect condition mint on card one locally, without hesitation, I met up with him and the deal was done.

My 1/6 grail would be a comic wolverine, done to perfection. I think the sun is shining on my side :)

Mine is the Saint Seiya Tamashii Nation giveaway Clear Body G3, they were only 210 made given out in three days. You had to wait like five hours early in the morning for the Tamsahii Nations event in Japan a couple of years ago and literally the first 70 people to get in were taken to a room where you assembled your figure by hand.

I only know three people in the Saint Seiya collecting community to have them, and they each go up for 500-1500 easily. It is the simplest of things too, no accesories, just a random Action Figure with a clear body showing how the G3 version works. That is my holy grail I guess...

these are the centerpieces of my collection

ly8u.jpg

I've had a few grail toy chases in my life.

The first and longest pursuit was for a Blank figure from the **** Tracy line. I remember wanting him so bad and not finding him the summer the film was released. Than fall came and an employee at our local Toy Liquidators was telling my family that he was out in Canada but not here - this was before the Internet so I'm guilty of not believing him.

I finally wrote a letter, with my moms help, and sent it off to Playmates Toys. They actually sent me a letter back months later. In the letter they addressed my enthusiasm but as a company had decided not to manufacture the Blank. I held onto that letter for years ... But you get older, get a girlfriend, and eventually that letter disappears. Funny that my dad knew enough to tell me at the time that the letter may be worth something someday. How I wish I had it to post online!

I believed the letter until I finally had proof of the figure thanks to toy magazines like Lee's and eventually a local dealer by the name of Dr. Tongue's who told me of how he had sold a few. By than the letter was gone so all I have is my word that Playmates said they werent going to manufacture him.

Years later, thanks to ebay, I'm the owner of at least two carded Blanks. I had a third but sold it. Still, an interesting adventure for a figure .....

My second quest which at times ran parallel to the first was for a complete collection of Kenner Robin Hood toys, including the rare Sherwood Forest. Again, years of no internet or shops dealing in secondary market toys had me only imaging these but around 2002 and thanks to ebay, I was able to get all of the figures carded, both mini weapon sets and the Forest - all mint in box. Later a boxed Battle Wagon came across the pond and I finally had the set. I remember checking online everyday for months trying to track down that playset. Something about those toys completely captures the fun of what movie toys can be for kids who arent concerened about articulation and realism.

The third quest is much more recent.

This summer I began recollecting Zizzle Pirates of the Caribbean figures and playsets. I never knew until last month that there was an ultra rare last wave and that Cutler Beckett and Singapore Warrior Elizabeth Swann were such hard to get figures. While I have been able to gain much of the line I didn't expect to find those two. Googling the subject turned up old posts of fellow collectors and their quests, some with luck but most without. But the toy fates must be shining on me because thanks to ebay UK I now have both figures, carded and finishing up my collection. I hate to admit it, but I'm actually going to open both since I've opened up everyone else in my set.

Three grail quests complete and frankly I don't want anymore. The quests are too expensive for something that I have no guarantee won't disintegrate beyond recognition 20 years from now. These are enough.

Best of luck to all of you in your quests!

Thanks for sharing this-I enjoyed reading it. Glad you found your grails. and one day maybe your letter will resurface!!!

bikegoggles.jpg
bikefork.jpg

One of the centerpieces of my collection is definitely the Bandai/Medicom 1/6 Kaneda's Bike from Akira. From the solid construction and detailed framework, to the lights and sound effects, it's fantastic; I'd be hard-pressed to ever consider letting it go.

Back