What's your current "collecting state of mind"?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@chargersfan57

Yeah I was probably to bold in my statement. I really don't know what will happen with the COTD line. I was speaking out of passion.

I guess I said it because I'm assuming most collectors are like myself and interested in multiple things. Right now several companies are asking for my dollars. SS isn't the only game in town. I work with a lot of business's and what I see as an outsider is that SS is like everyone else right now. Revenue Revenue Revenue! They concluded PF's aren't as profitable as they want them to be so they tried to blow open a 1/6 figure strategy but it looks like they are having a hard time competing with Hot Toys so the final answer, start our own license so we pocket 100% revenue and don't share. Makes sense but to divert several resources to that is a gamble because they took energy away from established lines and raised prices. End result, for me at least, is that I'm buying more from other companies. While I am really impressed with what they are doing with COTD I cant spend money on them because I don't know the characters. I don't have attachments. I cant justify to friends and family a large COTD collection like I can the Avengers or the Bat Universe. Like I said really impressed but at the end of the day I know I wont buy any. JMO and pure speculation.

That's the reason why I asked the question in this forum and statue forum about the COTD line. I think their is no nostalgia factor there for people. The ES is so high on them for being a unknown line. So you lose out on the nostalgia people and the ones that like to buy because of low ES. Now you just get horror fans or people that like to buy "chicks". It's a much more narrow market. I want to buy some of them, but I worry about them holding any kind of value. I don't buy these to make money, but I also don't like to buy something that doesn't have value. In the end we are still buying collectibles.... expensive ones at that.

@chargersfan57

Yeah I was probably to bold in my statement. I really don't know what will happen with the COTD line. I was speaking out of passion.

I guess I said it because I'm assuming most collectors are like myself and interested in multiple things. Right now several companies are asking for my dollars. SS isn't the only game in town. I work with a lot of business's and what I see as an outsider is that SS is like everyone else right now. Revenue Revenue Revenue! They concluded PF's aren't as profitable as they want them to be so they tried to blow open a 1/6 figure strategy but it looks like they are having a hard time competing with Hot Toys so the final answer, start our own license so we pocket 100% revenue and don't share. Makes sense but to divert several resources to that is a gamble because they took energy away from established lines and raised prices. End result, for me at least, is that I'm buying more from other companies. While I am really impressed with what they are doing with COTD I cant spend money on them because I don't know the characters. I don't have attachments. I cant justify to friends and family a large COTD collection like I can the Avengers or the Bat Universe. Like I said really impressed but at the end of the day I know I wont buy any. JMO and pure speculation.

I was there at the beginning. I picked up Bowen pieces like Hellboy and Grendel before he got the Marvel license. Then when that happened I picked up Cap and Thor, etc.

More recently, I've been more and more interested in the Sideshow premium formats only. I still buy the odd Bowen, but the stuff Sideshow is doing is what I'm keen for. The DC stuff has been amazing. Loved Hellboy, Red Sonja and can't wait for the new Conan.

I've got so much stuff now that I rotate my collection every six months or so. I recently had the opportunity to pick-up some new display cabinets for one side of my room. That's given me some renewed enthusiasm for the hobby, but I still think my Bowen statues might go one of these days.

Here's a sample set-up I did and I just love looking at it. I've since bulked it up a bit.

Wow, that is one of the nicest displays I have seen. So clean and well lit. Great cases!
I was there at the beginning. I picked up Bowen pieces like Hellboy and Grendel before he got the Marvel license. Then when that happened I picked up Cap and Thor, etc.

More recently, I've been more and more interested in the Sideshow premium formats only. I still buy the odd Bowen, but the stuff Sideshow is doing is what I'm keen for. The DC stuff has been amazing. Loved Hellboy, Red Sonja and can't wait for the new Conan.

I've got so much stuff now that I rotate my collection every six months or so. I recently had the opportunity to pick-up some new display cabinets for one side of my room. That's given me some renewed enthusiasm for the hobby, but I still think my Bowen statues might go one of these days.

Here's a sample set-up I did and I just love looking at it. I've since bulked it up a bit.

I go in and out of collecting fads. Which is both good and bad. When I'm in it, I tend to (or used to) get carried away, when I'm out of it, I sometimes even consider selling everything and putting the money to better use. About a year ago I had an epiphany.

I had a number of various pieces in different formats - PF, 1/5 and 1/6 scale statues, one LS bust, even some NECA figures. I had a good hard look at my collection and thought about why I collected and what I want to display, and what I wanted to be proud to show off, and decided that PF/quarter scale is where I wanted to focus my collection. Then came another hurdle to cross and that is not being such a completist, and only stick to films/pieces/lines that I really love.

Sometimes this is hard because the range in 1/6 scale is a lot more extensive and Hot Toys often release pieces that aren't in PF scale. In these instances I really just tell myself to suck it up and move on.

I guess I'm thankful I've always been able to keep a *reasonably* good control of the hobby, whereas I know some people go out of control.

I "freed" myself, once I cancelled some preorders, then didn't PO some things I was on the fence on. I don't regret them at all. It feels good to not want everything. It's hard to get over that feeling though when you first get into it. It's all so dang exciting at first.

Collecting just took a major backseat after taking my two daughters to the orthodontist this morning. 8k will go to their smiles over the next two years.
They need it but it's a major blow to my collecting funds. I hate it when life gets in the way of a nice statue.:gah:

i like the cotd line..can't afford it, but regardless, how seriously cool would those pieces look all displayed.

Collect what makes you happy and know what you can and cant afford, plus collect what you love to show off, i was always hidding my GI Joe stuff lol.
I was all over the place in my collection for a while, trying to catch up (i only started about 5 years ago and getting stuff that i thought i would like. Now ive gotten rid of alot of excess and i only go for Mortal Kombat stuff as my main hobby.

Conan, Jaguar God, Death Dealer, Punisher, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Mr Sinster, Cable, Stryfe and Blade (i always forget blade) are secondary and i will only allow for 1 statue, 1 1/6. I would have loved a Justice League or batman family range, but for now i am only looking at options and again only one statue or 1/6 of each.
I do a lot of preordering and then cancelling at the last minute.

I'm concentrating on two things: mainly on comic 1/4 pieces and the odd 1/6 figure like Batman, Deadpool, and the upcoming Wolverine; and Star Wars 1/6 OT and a couple more 1/4 (Boba and Vader). I've basically already collected my main movie 1/6 and 1/4 pieces so I'm pretty much done there outside of the upcoming P2 Maquette and a couple of other Predator things. Also if we ever get a new 1/4 P1 from someone I'm there in a heartbeat. There's always an odd thing here and there I may pick up but outside of Predator there isn't too much more I'd want that isn't Star Wars or comics.

Eventually every collector will reach the point of no space and over hoarding, and try to sell off the non-favorite displayed / storage pieces at retail or more prices.

Or get sick of the clutter of pieces and boxes etc and clear off everything in a sweep.

I'm in between the above.

I started off with GG Dewback and sandtrooper and GG Rancor and handler statues, I also got a few of the SS Dinosauria staues and SS PF star wars and x-men statues. My latest collecting interest is with the SS Predator 1:2 Legendary scale busts, just got my first 2 yesterday and I am loving them so much I have the SS Elder LSB on preorder!

pred6.jpgpred7.jpgpred5.jpg

Been losing interest lately. I've always focused on Hot Toys and like others have said, prices are getting outrageous and most figures aren't really worth it IMO. Will keep what I have on PO right now (see sig) and that's probably going to be it for me.

I am slowing down for sure. I was not too hardcore until I touched Hot Toys products around 2 years ago.
I knew around 10 years ago (price around USD 70-100) and still considered as expensive for me because I loved to collect McFarlane and other discount stuff in toy and game shops.
Then I went hardcore in 2 yrs, my display cases bunch of these figures and few Sideshow Statues but I managed to control my passion on collecting figures especially Hot Toys also keep releasing non sense number of figures these days.

This is my opinion:
1. I collect because I LOVE FIGURES especially detailed figures and I do it because it is FUN, BUT......
2. For me, collections need to have what we call: VALUE, which we can sell in the future, so say, small investment? It small compares to STONES, SPORT CARS, and other luxury items because THESE LUXURY are expensive and I know I cannot afford it in short time.
We can buy some golds to keep especially on the guaranteed price to up in the future (I never believed in stock market and "PAPER" investment).
3. I will sell some of the items that I feel good in value but I do not have the passion to keep it anymore because I believe that we can't be too attached on something.
4. I will keep the figures that I REALLY LOVED, which I found that if we find a good custom made by somebody especially who are well known, say: ERICK SOSA (he is considered as an international artist in sculpting), even tough the price is more than hot toys, the value will be there someday if you know what I am saying. He can be old or else he quits his job someday.
5. All in all, these figures will be no ending as long as movies still on rolling and Hot Toys will someday meets the dead end too because they will be no more than EXPENSIVE DETAILED REGULAR FIGURES that you can buy easy in any figure shops (more and more shops selling Hot toys, enterbay, and other 1/6 brands nowdays because of the market trend). Tell me, where is the value of current hot toys products? Even Ironman changes to Die Cast.

It is only us who can stop the hobby, keep what we like and enjoy it until we are old enough to trust and pass it to our grandchildren. I agree we have to pay attention more on bills etc etc, but admit it, most of us who have good savings will play among these figures. We only need to adjust which figures which we should focus on. As for me, I will be always keep my notes and my spending list so I can maintain all my future bills and my 2 kids school fees.
Hey, even if we eat too much our tummy will give us problems right? :D
Only my opinion guys.

I Have been collecting for almost 3 years now, I have done catching up with what I want.
What is left in my checklist is either "Not yet produced" or "Long gone and the current price point is not justifiable".

My current habit is checking the collectibles websites on a daily basis to see what new pre-orders are worth getting, and checking ebay and the Freaks sale forums from time to time for any hidden gems.

I got in the phase of "quality over quantity" with my hobby.

Just getting characters I'm really interested in
Any robocop figure will be bought(huge fan), I'm a big tmnt fan but am waiting on 1/6th versions of them. My batman and superman requirements are full
In other words, not many purchases upcoming

I go in and out of collecting fads. Which is both good and bad. When I'm in it, I tend to (or used to) get carried away, when I'm out of it, I sometimes even consider selling everything and putting the money to better use. About a year ago I had an epiphany.

I had a number of various pieces in different formats - PF, 1/5 and 1/6 scale statues, one LS bust, even some NECA figures. I had a good hard look at my collection and thought about why I collected and what I want to display, and what I wanted to be proud to show off, and decided that PF/quarter scale is where I wanted to focus my collection. Then came another hurdle to cross and that is not being such a completist, and only stick to films/pieces/lines that I really love.

Sometimes this is hard because the range in 1/6 scale is a lot more extensive and Hot Toys often release pieces that aren't in PF scale. In these instances I really just tell myself to suck it up and move on.

I guess I'm thankful I've always been able to keep a *reasonably* good control of the hobby, whereas I know some people go out of control.

I can definately relate to this.

I've been collecting near on a couple of years, and definately go in massive spurts. Either nothing for a very long time, or a fair few in a quick bunch.

Its been incredibly difficult to stick with LOTR, but I have done it, barring a piece or two from Game of Thrones, however I can justify that considering how much I love it.

I've decided to completely stick with LOTR PF, and not collect anything else when it comes to LOTR barring a small environment or sentimental piece which has to really catch my fancy.

Have come very close to buying the Dutch Scaffer PF, Jack Sparrow PF and so on but have kept strong and am happy because of it.

I have been collecting for quite awhile and have been on this board since almost the beginning. I have mostly collected 1/6th scale and smaller action figures. While I seemed to spend more than I should, and got caught up in the hype one a number of occasions, I think my habits are in a healthy place at the moment. My main focus is currently the Transformers Masterpiece line and it is the only one I am even near being a completist. I very selectively will collect the Hot Toys Star Wars line and I am going to try and stay away from other lines unless I really care about the character (ie, Batman Returns keaton).

I have actually found that I care about each collectible more when I am selective. I also believe that the best displays are those that are not over-crowded or cluttered so I never have even a large portion of my stuff displayed at once. As such, it no longer makes since to get collectibles of minor characters as I like to have major characters displayed leaving no room for additional figures.

Additionally, I have found that the collectibles I care the most about are ones based on characters and properties from the 80s and 90s. While I enjoy newer properties, I don't seem to get the burning desire to have physical representations of those characters like I do for properties that I cared about as a kid. This puts me in an interesting position as most characters I actually cared about as a kid have already been done or will be done in the near future. I truly enjoy the excitement of seeing and getting a new piece so it will be a sad day when I genuinely have nothing left to collect because I have near perfect representations of all characters I dreamed of owning as a child.

I went through a burst this year and bought 3-4 .....now I'm bored of 1/6 agani and will probably sell everything off again :)

Back