What's the best, least harsh and aesthetically pleasing light setup for a Detolf?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very cool thread. I am enjoying everybody's pics and links, please continue to chime in and post everybody!

For sure. I have so many collectible, but I don't have any proper displays. It's nice to get this info and see what others are doing to display their stuff.

There are "puck" lights that are not battery operated.

wofford, I don't like seeing the wall with these deltofs so I put some black construction paper (no, not the cheap kind) behind the figures. If you put a background the wires can be hidden by the background. I don't have any lighting on my Deltofs, but when I do I plan on running the wires through the back.

Are those IKEA LED strips available in different wattage? I'm asking because TheTerminator's look much brighter, while agonistes86's are very dim... and he has three in one.

As far as I know there are no different versions, and both the US as the german page state that the energy consumption is 3.4W. Don't know if the different voltage coming out of the socket (US is higher) has anything to do with it.

Could be just an effect from the photos too, I have to say it looks darker in my pics than it actually is. But like TheTerminator stated, the posing of the figures on the shelf have a lot to do with how far the light comes down too, and since Batman is on the top shelf in my pic, the big cape probably just keeps the light from coming down further.

I'm liking what I'm seeing so far, I'm at Ikea now so I'll look for those led strips. :)

I've got those IKEA halogen puck lights posted above on mine. There's a dimmer switch called DIMMA that I got as well, so I can control the brightness. So, that's an idea as well.

TheTerminator: Perfect setup. Congrats man!

Thank you! :)

Now as for the cord situation:

All in all you will end up with a power cord and 4 sperate cords for each light. So yes you will have tons of dangling wires exposed behind the glass. What I did was I bunched them all up into one rectangular shaped bunch and taped it all together with electrical tape.

I taped it all together in one bunch leaving the light switch exposed at the height of the pile. Then I kind of hid them behind my Arnold LSB and put a small black sheet over top it to hide the white cords.

So you don't see any cable on my display other than the power cord with was place in between the Detolf from the plug.

I got the wired puck lights that were next to the strips. I think the strips were too distracting in person.

I got the wired puck lights that were next to the strips. I think the strips were too distracting in person.

They have the wired puck lights here at 2 for $10 or $15 I believe so its an awesome deal but they give off a yellow light and focus on just the centre part of the shelf.

I've had them before. Still, they do the job so good stuff, please post pics when you've set them up. :)

Just finished wiring up mine today. Gotta finish tucking away the wires on the floor. Hid most of the wires in the Detolf but still a little bit of wire showing. Oh well. Here are the pics:

1DSC_000133.jpg

1DSC_000135.jpg

1DSC_000152.jpg

1DSC_000153.jpg

1DSC_000156.jpg

1DSC_000159.jpg

Back