What would you like to include in the Blu-Ray version of the film

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtb

Super Freak
Reaction score
I have recently read this from wikipedia.org

"Peter Jackson has stated that he would like to include some of these unused scenes in a future "Ultimate Edition" home video release (probably high-definition) of the film trilogy. They will not be re-inserted into the movies but available for viewing separately. This edition will also include outtakes."

And I am not sure about the capacity of the blu-ray disc to put a HD movie. Currently many blu-ray movies that are available comes with only 1 disc, and it is sufficient to put whatever extras you can find inside... I wonder if it is possible to squeeze all those extras into 1 BR disc INCLUDING the HD extended version of the movie.

According to wiki, there are also a lot of unused scenes, which PJ like to put inside:

Many filmed scenes remain unused, even in the Extended Editions. These scenes remain omitted largely because many of them significantly change or add to the plot of Tolkien's original storyline. These include:

Additional footage from the Battle of the Last Alliance in the FotR Prologue.
An obscure shot from the trailers of two Elven girls playing about in Rivendell.
Scene mentioned in FotR commentary, about an animal disrupting Frodo and Sam while they sleep, after seeing the Wood Elves. Many animals were used, including rabbits and deer. [10]
Dialogue from the Council of Elrond, such as Gandalf explaining how Sauron forged the One Ring.[10]
An attack by Orcs from Moria on Lothlórien after the Fellowship leaves Moria. Jackson replaced this with a more suspenseful entrance for the Fellowship. Much of the lost footage can be seen as promotional material on the FotR theatrical DVD and tie-in books, documentary footage on the Extended Editions, and Trading Cards.
More Arwen footage, including a flashback scene of her first meeting with a beardless Aragorn (seen in the Two Towers teaser).
Faramir having a vision of Frodo becoming like Gollum.[13]
Footage of Arwen at Helm's Deep, cut by Jackson during a revision to the film's plot. Foreshadowing this sequence were scenes where Arwen and Elrond visit Galadriel at Lothlórien (seen in The Two Towers teaser trailer). The scene was edited down to a telepathic communication between Elrond and Galadriel.[13]
Théoden speaking to the troops in the armoury, prior to the Battle of Helm's Deep.
Éowyn defending the refugees in the Glittering Caves from Uruk-hai intruders.[23]
An unknown scene displayed in The Two Towers preview of Éomer lowering a spear while riding his horse in a forest.
A line of dialogue during the death of Saruman, in which he reveals that Wormtongue poisoned Théodred, giving further context as to why Wormtongue kills Saruman and Legolas in turn kills Wormtongue.[24]
A conversation between Elrond and Arwen in a library in Rivendell, after Arwen decides to wait for Aragorn. Elrond leaves saying "I cannot protect you anymore."[25]
Aragorn having his armour fitted during the preparations for the Battle of the Black Gate. This was the final scene filmed during principal photography.[16]
Sauron fighting Aragorn at the Black Gate. A computer-generated Troll was placed over Sauron due to Jackson feeling the scene was inappropriate. Sauron is also seen in a beautiful form as Annatar, giver of gifts.[16]
Also at the Black Gate sequence, Pippin was seen in the trailer holding a wounded Merry, a scene which takes place after the Battle of the Pelennor Fields upon Pippin discovering Merry under the mûmak.
Further epilogue footage, including that of Legolas and Gimli, as well as Éowyn and Faramir's wedding and Aragorn's death and funeral.[26]

Personally I hope the disc will include the ROTK NZ premier where they show the red carpets, the Nazgul, the crowds.... the whole nine yards of it... any significant worldwide premier footage are also welcome...

I would mind if PJ re-edit the end of each film such that it comes a 12-hour LOTR movie and fit it into ONE movie... i wonder if a BR has that capacity...

Hopefully by then, the price of BR will be more affordable, from what I am hoping for.... it looks like its going to be a 5 BR discs ultimate set..

... and of course... a SPECIAL 10th anniversay release SSW bust that comes with this set.... am I asking too much??!!:monkey5:monkey5

How do you guys wish for???

Can I get a scouring of the Shire :monkey3

I would love the option to include these extra scenes but I don't know that I'd want them in there without seeing them first.

I'm just hoping we get LotR on Blu-ray this year. Any extras would be bonus.

hey Loki, off-topic. But, what's the countdown in your title?

Well a BD can hold up to 50 GB on one disc so I think it will all be able to fit.

I would like the new BD versions to also have BD Profile 1.1 so we can update the movies and I want every single unused scene to be put in there!! These movies are waaaaaay to short in my opinion! :D

Bloopers!! A whole boatload of them, not just a couple per actor. Wouldn't want the outtakes to be inserted into the final (or the extended version). Would take away from the pacing I would think (ergo....not used by PJ in first place).

I agree with Wetanut.

I would also like to see some new, recent interviews, where the actors can talk about what it's like after these years. Do they still get together? Perhaps they've got more anecdotes that were not shared previously, in the EE DVD's.

GTB, great call on having a special "poly piece" made for the set!

Well, I love extra's, so anything is a bonus. I don't have anything specific in mind, just as long as its new stuff that isn't on the Extended DVD's.

Other then that, what I want most, is a crystal clear, dead sharp, super detailed HD transfer of the extended films. I want so much detail that even the 1/4 scale busts don't have it, I want to see it on a 60" full HD LCD screen and still think, my god, thats beautiful.
And I don't want any compression artifacts, banding, etc (just look at some scenes in moria).
I want the 3 movies that look so good in HD, that the disc's become the defacto standard for years to come when anyone ask's, "So, how good does HD really look" or "Can I put a LOTR disc in to compare the quality of your players and screens", and the sales guy looks worried....
Thats what I want...... too much to ask for?

I'd take all of those on a special scenes disc or something. They don't have to be reinserted. Though, I wouldn't mind it if some where. I'd also like to see a special poly piece with this set.

Rosie, Rosie, and more Rosie

andlike josh said, a special poly piece... maybe an AH style Rosie

Well this answers my question awhile back. I say do the Blu-Ray films on two discs, one with the Extended version and then the second with all the extras you can imagine on it.

Can I get a scouring of the Shire :monkey3

Well, don't hold you breath, but I've just recently returned from NZ having been on the March Red Carpet Tour. Whilst we were touring Hobbiton we were told by our guide that the Scouring WAS filmed WITH SARUMAN!

However, he then went on to say that the reason CL didn't attend the premiere was because the Scouring scenes were cut. Now the general consensus of all on the tour (including Vic and Raewyn who run the tour) was that the guide had got it wrong (as it is generally accepted that CL didn't attend because the theatrical version didn't include him at the beginning getting killed by Wormtongue, and Vic had never heard anything about it before) but you never know, there might still be hope!! Albeit probably a fool's hope...

Oh, and he (ie the guide) also said that there were hours and hours (and hours) of footage of Hobbiton already shot so he doubted that they would need to rebuild the set, as all of the internal stuff would be done in the studio.... I guess its a case of "watch this space".... :)

Not to rain on your parade, but we'll probably see the theatrical cuts released on Blu-ray Disc first, before they'll consider adding anything to the movies or to the already existing extras.

Probably half a year later, we'll see the Extended Editions announced and most likely before the Hobbit gets release we will see another new version, and so on... that's just the way this business works, unfortunately...:monkey4

Not to rain on your parade, but we'll probably see the theatrical cuts released on Blu-ray Disc first, before they'll consider adding anything to the movies or to the already existing extras.

Probably half a year later, we'll see the Extended Editions announced and most likely before the Hobbit gets release we will see another new version, and so on... that's just the way this business works, unfortunately...:monkey4

Its is the a money making strategy for sure.:D

Heard on another (Bluray) forum that the word from NL is that they will release the Hobbit on Bluray BEFORE they release LotR - hope its not true, but again, might make marketing sense - interest in all things Middle Earth is revitalised by the Hobbit so then release the LotR... Like I said, I hope its wrong.

Heard on another (Bluray) forum that the word from NL is that they will release the Hobbit on Bluray BEFORE they release LotR - hope its not true, but again, might make marketing sense - interest in all things Middle Earth is revitalised by the Hobbit so then release the LotR... Like I said, I hope its wrong.

Man I hope that is not true.:monkey2

Back