What type of neck post do you prefer for custom head sculpts?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your preferred neck post style?

• Sideshow buck

Votes: 35 60.3%
  • Hot Toys "neckless"

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • Other

Votes: 6 10.3%

• Total voters

Andy Bergholtz

In the belly of a whale
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm just curious... If you had the choice, what kind of neck post would you prefer to see implemented in custom 1/6 head sculpts?

I like Sideshows for characters that have neck detail like Anakin's adam's apple and the Emperor's wrinkles.

Hot Toys' older version where the neck was complete like Sideshow figures was the best of all that I've seen. While the articulation wasn't as much as the 2 jointed Hot Toys modern and Medicom figures, it's aesthetically pleasing like Sideshow's, but with better articulation. In any case, I like realistically sculpted and painted heads to have full necks to maintain the realism; Medi's more toyish paint apps don't get hurt by their double jointed necks.

I just don't like other companies necks. They either look like tubes or the jaw line is just to fan-damn distracting.

I voted Sideshow... I haven't ever actually done a custom figure yet, but that will be changing soon, and the Sideshow bodies seem to be the easiest and cheapest to get, and for a beginner, that is a bonus! :rotfl

Andy I think if you asked this on different forums you'd get different answers.

The Hot Toys neck is great for creating dynamic, lifelike poses. You can create the most subtle impression of your figure being human just by altering the neck and head angles ever so slightly. I think this is better for people who pose their figures in 'action' poses, and constantly change them

However, as a personal preference I like to find what I consider to be (at the time) the perfect pose for that character, and leave them in it. And then the most important thing for me is that the figure look as close to 12" version of the real people. And for that I need adams apples.... and necks with muscle tone sculpted on.... and no cut-offs directly under the head. There's nothing more off putting to me than seeing a decent head sculpt where the face/head is great... and then where the neck should start there's a complete cut off line. It's hard to maintain the realism if the neck shows like this.

I guess it's similar to arm/let joints showing, the way people complain about that.

Of course this neck thing doesnt matter if your figures wear neck/head covering outfits (like modern military figures) and for that the HT system is probably better (like I said... go to different forums and you'll get different answers)

but for me... I prefer the Sideshow neck way. More realistic to the eye. :)

By Sideshow Buck, if you mean, A NECK, then that is my pick. I always can use a necked head on Dragon and other bodies. Not too partial to the newer Hot Toys style, but for certain figures with more visible neck and upper chest areas...

By Sideshow Buck, if you mean, A NECK, then that is my pick. I always can use a necked head on Dragon and other bodies. Not too partial to the newer Hot Toys style, but for certain figures with more visible neck and upper chest areas...

Agreed. :duff

Yeah, for me I need the neck on there... It really helps sell the illusion, whether it is SSC or Dragon. Definitely my preference. :rock

It really depends on the character... Generally I like the Hot Toys headless one. But I'm old school and like the Buck one too with the neck. But it I think it just comes down to which one looks the best for the character at hand... Does that make sense...

Like the HT Superman Returns the neckless head is perfect for it. But Neck is good for Suited figures as it looks more natural...

Case in point I'm frustrated and sitting on the fence....:monkey3

I'm mostly with the consensus here about fitting the body to the character...but Maulfan has a really good point:

Which Sideshow neck??

So far, there have been three. The best idea was the multi-point versions that were used on the Spiinal Tap figures.

The most aesthetic type of joint is always the skin type like the Jakks Pacific bodies, but this is not practical on most figures. Although, it would be nice to see more Sideshow figures that have skins like the "Creature".

Due to this; I had to say "Other".

As Im not understanding the question totally and havent had that much experience with neck posts other than limited use of bbi g3's, and whats been said already is alot to take in !

I voted

WTF ! pass the doobie round the left handside !

However, as a personal preference I like to find what I consider to be (at the time) the perfect pose for that character, and leave them in it.

Hoo-Ha! I'm right there with ya!

And then the most important thing for me is that the figure look as close to 12" version of the real people. And for that I need adams apples.... and necks with muscle tone sculpted on....

Yep. Your Terminator is a prime example of how a sculpted neck adds tons to a figure's "real life" look.

Back