What to do with my Hot Toys Michael Jackson set.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dollmanron

Super Freak
Reaction score
I’ve been thinking about it and I think I'm going to try and sell my Hot Toys Michael Jackson set. I don't have them displayed (never have). I looked at them, packed them away and to be honest, the only enjoyment I'm getting out of them now is the fact I have them. My Wife and I listened to “Thriller” over and over in the 80’s and when Hot Toys made a figure of him it sparked my interest.

The “Billie Jean History Tour” doesn’t have its brown mailer and has a small bent on one corner of the boxes side; that’s how I got it. I won it with buy it now the day (hour before it was official announced) Michael died. I had been on the fence on buying it, but once the rumors started I went with it. It’s stayed wrapped with bubble wrap since. Sounds bad I know, sorry.

The “Thriller” figure has its brown mailer and even though I bought an African American slim TT body to make the Zombie version, I went on EBay like a dummy and bought everything loose to build a second custom normal Michael with it. I never used a single piece from the set. It’s exactly like the regular “Thriller” Michael, and I would probably like to keep it.

I thought the “Bad” figure with the DX rolling eyes sounded great, but after getting it in hand I just put it with the others. It has its brown mailer too.

And what’s with the Brown mailer anyway, everyone seems to want or expect it. Is it some kind of proof of something?

And finally I fell for the scare that the “Beat It” version wasn’t going to be sold in America and ordered it from a “Japanese “company that got them from the Tokyo Show. Mine is numbered and has the certificate of authenticity (#1969). I think it’s the best of the lot and probably my favorite, but it went to the stack with the rest of them.

And that’s where they’re been with close to a $1,000 tied up in them when there is other stuff I’d rather have, but can’t afford.

People are asking thousands for the “Billie Jean”, you’re lucky to get a hundred for “Thriller” (I paid retail for it), I don’t think “Bad” is selling for much more then it retailed for, and since the “Beat It” is from the Tokyo Show with certificate I don’t know what it worth now, but I know how much I paid for it, $300 plus.

I want to get my money back, and get what they’re worth as well, but I haven’t a clue on what to set any prices at. Honestly, I’m not trying to sell them here, but if you were in my shoes what would you do, suggestions, comments, ideas?

IMG_0755.jpg

I find it hard to believe that there isn't a cashed up Michael Jackson fan out there who wouldn't buy the whole lot as a set :dunno

I would set them on fire, then stand over the figures as they burn, inhaling (and thus absorbing) the creativity that went into making them. After that, I'd use my newfound creative abilities to start a new toy company with myself as chief sculptor. From that I would recoup the cost of the figures and then some. I'm talking a fully fledged career here and all it'll take is inhaling burning plastic and rubber.

If I had to guess at eBay prices:

Billie Jean will definitely be over $450 and in the end maybe 600 - 700 at best.
Thriller will struggle at around $110 - 130.
Bad will get $200 at minimum, but may go up to $260 - 270.
Beat It will struggle at $220 - 250.

Is there a reason why you didn't display them or are you just one of those collectors. Not dissing since I have had the urge to keep some boxed but Im shocked at the fact that you didn't display them

If I had to guess at eBay prices:

Billie Jean will definitely be over $450 and in the end maybe 600 - 700 at best.
Thriller will struggle at around $110 - 130.
Bad will get $200 at minimum, but may go up to $260 - 270.
Beat It will struggle at $220 - 250.

Thriller seems like it should/will go up at some point in the next few years... Or maybe they made too many of them?

At any rate it's an awesome figure and I would suggest holding on to it if selling now means taking a loss.

Only one I'd be interested in is the Thriller with an extra AA Slim body. Unfortunately for you, Thriller seems to be selling at only $110 or $120 shipped here. Way overproduced and people seem to prefer the others that you got.

Well... to bad you don't have them displayed...
they look awesome all together... :wink1:

The only ones currently fetching more than retail are the BAD Dx which is becoming increasingly rare, and obviously the Billie Jean one...
I'd suggest selling the Thriller and Beat it as a bundle, and the other two separately...

My other suggestion is to just give them to me and I'll be eternally grateful for that... :monkey3
:lol

Only one I'd be interested in is the Thriller with an extra AA Slim body. Unfortunately for you, Thriller seems to be selling at only $110 or $120 shipped here. Way overproduced and people seem to prefer the others that you got.

I can only assume it's because they were overproduced due to the hype.

For me Thriller was the only one I even considered getting. It works on different levels - music, horror, kind of a movie, zombies, popular culture. Just more interesting than just a music figure...

Where are people seeing Thriller for only $110-$120? Seems like a bargain even if just to pick it up for the zombie (the more interesting sculpt IMO). Are these places which ship to the US only?

No idea... recent ebay listings:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HOT-TOYS-M...883?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a695f1013
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Toys-1...471?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20bbd50d6f
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HOT-TOYS-M...800?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae1d7dc00

Sure the middle one sold for $123... but it also has $35 shipping. I'd say Thriller is going for around $150 (shipped) average on ebay. Which is still below retail.

Beat It is averaging $250... which is about retail for an "exclusive."

You should sell the Billie Jean figure to me :pray:

In all seriousness tho, the best rout to go if your needing money would be sell the Billie Jean and Bad figures. Those seem to go for more than retail at the moment. Hold on to the other two and hopefully they rise in value in the future.

But if you do ever decide you just wanna help a fellow freak out and sell the Billie Jean for a reasonable price, I know someone whos looking for one of those figures :wink1:

No idea... recent ebay listings:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HOT-TOYS-M...883?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a695f1013
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Toys-1...471?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20bbd50d6f
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HOT-TOYS-M...800?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae1d7dc00

Sure the middle one sold for $123... but it also has $35 shipping. I'd say Thriller is going for around $150 (shipped) average on ebay. Which is still below retail.

Beat It is averaging $250... which is about retail for an "exclusive."

You know, I remember people buying HT Michael Jackson figures for over $400 dollars when he died.

Back