What should be Sideshow's first Star Wars 1:6 figure?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R2

Yeah, a hyper accurate R2 with lights and retractable arms would be cool.

Re: R2

I doubt the first figure will be a "specialty" item that isn't a traditional 1/6 figure. They will have to do Yoda and Chewie and the droids eventually, but to launch the line they'll do a traditional 1/6 figure that shows off how much better they can do it than Hasbro.

And Yoda isn't kid sized but much smaller, he'd have to be a completely different kind of figure just like the droids would.

Re: R2

A Yoda figure would offer midget size figures, like Nick-Nack from the James Bond line. I can't think of any others besides Mini Me though. :dunno

The first figure either has to be a main character or a huge fan favorite (which is mosty the main characters besides Boba Fett).

re

This question was asked by a reader of galactichunter:

4. It's fantastic and somewhat unbelievable that Sideshow is actually doing the 12 inch line! Really looking forward to that. I'm trying to imagine what the line might end up looking like. Should I be thinking Marmit as far as accuracy and price?

--John

Sideshow's 12-inch line, according to Sideshow, will sell for about $50/per. I was told to expect borderline insane levels of detail with the pouches, belts, and every little piece being represented because it seems Lucasfilm saw Sideshow's other toys and said "oh, you can do this well or better with Star Wars, so go and make these the best you possibly can." Seeing as how a lot of collectors were used to paying $20-$30 per figure under Hasbro's reign, you might say "why bother?" Well, good for you if you do-- these are going to be limited items (numbers TBD) and there's going to be a big enough collector base to absorb them, it seems. You get what you pay for, after all, and seeing how 12-inch figures are a collector's only circle these days, they may as well make it right the first time.

Re: re

They'll lose a potential buyer here if they go with the expanded universe. I don't care for it if it wasn't in the films.

With that being said, a "real hair" Chewie (followed by Solo, of course) would be fantastic!!! But I think that they'll probably start with an Episode III character as well.

re

If it's the case they're planning on releasing a figure from Ep3, they could either:

1. Demonstrate how detailed the figures could be by releasing the likes of Grievous...or

2. Demonstrate how good they are at getting the likeness spot on at that scale by releasing the likes of Anakin.

:drool

I'd be surprised if we EVER see a Grievous in this line, but if we do it will be after the armored characters I'd imagine. It's a completely new tooling, which is okay for Hasbro if you're making 50K, but not so cost effective if you're only doing 5K.

First Star Wars Wave

Like most Sideshow 12" lines, I don't think they will start the whole line with the release of just one figure. I believe we will get a few up for pre-order if not several the first time out.

I'm thinking ROTS Anakin and Obi-Wan will be among the first. Seeing that Hasbro never did an EPIII Obi, it would be a shame if Sideshow didn't rectify that oversight immediately!

Believe me, I LOVE the original trilogy, but 12" figures from that part of the saga has been done a lot over the years... however bad they have been. Besides the 1/4 scale figures started within the OT... I just don't think Sideshow will go down that road just yet.

I think Sideshow will decide to start the line in a fresher way... with unveiling figures from the Prequel trilogy.

Re: First Star Wars Wave

hope not, although the prequels were a vision they arnt as good as the originals. i REALLY want a han, luke or an old obi wan. if they do do a prequel character it would be anakin.

You're right, they will probably announce 3 or more when they do announce. I hope we don't have to wait until toyfair to hear though.

So a good mix of OT and PT would be a Han, an Arena Padme (sculpted by Andy), and an obscure background character from either.

and an obscure background character from either.

I don't think introducing an obscure background character so early in the line would be the way to go. There are SO many core characters that collectors would LOVE to see done "The Sideshow Way" from BOTH trilogies that to do so would be a waste. Plus, at $40-$50 a pop, I'm inclined to wait for more prominent characters.

Plus, I am skeptical as to the demand for such background characters done in the 1/6 scale. Unlike the small figures, I don't think people are trying to compile a Cantina or Jabba's Palace scene using 12"ers.

re

So a good mix of OT and PT would be a Han, an Arena Padme (sculpted by Andy), and an obscure background character from either.

I would go for: Leia (Bespin), Obi-Wan Ep3 and Bib Fortuna.

okay, maybe not an obscure background character but a tertiary character like Faramir....

...did I say that? :dance

Three characters at the same time? then I think it would be ROTS Obi-Wan, ANH Leia, and a villain, Jar Jar Binks..

.................. :p I would actually pick Grand Moff Tarkin.

If they may announce several at once I hope it is a mixture from the movies and books. Something for everyone. There is a huge fan base out there and I hope to get most of them.

re

I can see my self collecting the droids, clones and principal villains. Gotta keep my street cred...so I may avoid the 'dolls'. :lol

Re: It should be

Yeah R2D2 that's it with all the jets and gadgets..and a stand for when he's flying..that would be great..R2 has saved everybody soooo many times that he deserves to be first..=)

Back