What paint to use to repair? Also, what to use for sculpt repairing?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timelordscience

Super Freak
Reaction score
2 part question. :'D
Bear with me; I'm somewhat new at fixing things (new to polystone, anyways).
Hopefully this alright to post here (wasn't sure if it was just limited to making custom items/hot toys stuff)

1) Best paint to use for fixing paint flaking off?
Visual aid: https://i41.tinypic.com/a57p55.jpg

2) I've been told to use ApoxieSculpt to help repair the gaps/missing pieces but I wanted to see what other people have been using before ordering it (or even if that's the correct thing to use).

I need to sculpt a thumb & a strand of hair that broke and is completely gone. I also need to fill a gap that happened after I re-attached the head to the body and cover-up the crack from the repair.

Visual aid:
a) https://i40.tinypic.com/ehnbbk.jpg
b) https://i41.tinypic.com/1zbwebd.jpg
c) https://i44.tinypic.com/2r3xi5w.jpg

Last edited:
I've repaired a few polystone statues (green lantern, supernatural, ame-comi poison ivy, ect)
As far as Apoxie clays, Magicsculpt from the morezmore shop on ebay is lovely to use. It smooths onto the statue surface quite nicely, blends well with a bit of water.

As far as the paint flakes, a bit of gentle sanding to remove the excess chips and either a flat Tamiya acrylic paint or even an acrylic craft paint would be fine, just hit the painted area with a shot of spray when you're done to match the surface gloss of the rest of the figure. (Dullcoat? She looks like her gloves are matte in the photos...)

They key is matching the surface gloss of the statue to the paint/spray you use. Some statues are very matte, while others have semi-gloss or high-gloss sections. If the statue has a combination of textures, it's good to cover up the statue with a cloth during spraying to avoid hitting spots you don't want done.

I have repaired and built many model kit's and statues over the years.
And i used to use miliputt then found Aves apoxie scult
which is amazing.
You mix it together and it dries rock hard.
Also Squadron putty can be used for very small pin holes and hairline cracks.
Regarding the paint flaking i would use something like 2000 wet n dry
and use either Citadel paints or Vallejo both of which are acrylic.
If using brushes make sure you wet it first and makes sure the paint flows of the brush.
So may need a little thinning with water.
If airbrushing you can still use the above paints but they need to be thinned down to go through your airbrush.
If masking off make sure you roll the edge of the masking tape backwards
this will prevent a harsh line.
Then seal with dullcote or humbrol matte all depends on what your hobby store supply and have in stock.

Also when making the finger either use a pin vice or a dremel tool
and drill a very small hole into the hand.
and supper glue some floral wire in there.
This will give your putty something to stick too.
As gluing it will be a pain and you can cut the wire to the exact length
making the finger look spot on.
Also were you have fixed the head depending on the crack , if it is hair line
use Squadron green or white putty as and area like that filled with Aves can be messy and hard to sand and may make things worse.
Squadron can be applied with a small tool and sands amazingly easy.
Also you can thin it down with nail polish remover.

Is it possible to buy a polystone mix to use for a custom mould? I'm looking to create a heavyish base for a figure but I'm not sure what material to use.

Awesome; thanks for the help, everyone!

I did manage to find some good primer and acrylic paint to use on the gloves/boots. Now I just need to buy something that will fix the large gap/sculpt the missing pieces and figure out how to get the colour close to her skin colour (which will be the hardest part since I'm definitely not the best at colour matching).

Back