What new STAR WARS HOT TOYS 1/6 & 1/4 Figures will we see at SDCC 17...?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Disappointed there was no Star Wars announcement for June. There's so many to go. Hopefully that means we'll get two this month. One exclusive and one regular reveal.

Pretty slow indeed. Wondering if (Star Wars) sales are so disappointing to HT they are digging less in that licence. Big let down not getting either Hux or Poe from TFA nor Andor and Krennic from RO.

They need to stay with the OT or very popular mainline prequel figures outside of the mainstay characters for Episode VII,VIII,IX. The people with the disposable income and interest are at that end of the figure demand.

No offense Tee-Kay but I would not waste the gasoline setting a Hux figure on fire. Jedi Luke, Emperor and Royal Guards will sell out. Hux, Poe and Krenic will sell at spooktacular. It appears HT also has figured this out.

They need to stay with the OT or very popular mainline prequel figures outside of the mainstay characters for Episode VII,VIII,IX. The people with the disposable income and interest are at that end of the figure demand.

No offense Tee-Kay but I would not waste the gasoline setting a Hux figure on fire. Jedi Luke, Emperor and Royal Guards will sell out. Hux, Poe and Krenic will sell at spooktacular. It appears HT also has figured this out.

Your opinion.

Thanks for that stimulating contribution. I look forward to more rivoting insights like that from you in the future.:lol

If HT wouldn't make a Tarkin figure why would they waste material on a figure like Hux?

What new STAR WARS HOT TOYS 1/6 & 1/4 Figures will we see at SDCC 17...?

Other than Leia, Poe is the one glaring omission from the TFA line. They have to have him planned for TLJ I would think. I certainly hope so. For myself, I wouldn't get Hux due to his design, but it would indeed be cool to complete a First Order display with him there.

Cassian and Krennic should have been musts from RO. Both were major characters that deserved figures. I don't know how likely they are to come out at this point. Although I wouldn't say it's impossible as they could go back later as long as they have the license.

If online listings are any indication, TFA figures are definitely, and by far, the slowest sellers from the HT range. Yet, i can also see quite a few OT main players in stock at several etailers (Luke, Ben, Boba Fett, Sandtrooper...).
To me, any Star Wars character has selling potential as long as it's marketed properly either by adapting the production run or release it as an exclusive. If HT see Agent Coulson or Maria Hill as worthy candidates in the Marvel Universe, as a Star Wars fan, Hux and Krennic don't sound like bolder choices to me.

Re: What new STAR WARS HOT TOYS 1/6 & 1/4 Figures will we see at SDCC 17...?

Other than Leia, Poe is the one glaring omission from the TFA line. They have to have him planned for TLJ I would think. I certainly hope so. For myself, I wouldn't get Hux due to his design, but it would indeed be cool to complete a First Order display with him there.

Cassian and Krennic should have been musts from RO. Both were major characters that deserved figures. I don't know how likely they are to come out at this point. Although I wouldn't say it's impossible as they could go back later as long as they have the license.

It unfortunate because all of those troopers, phasma's and Kyle Rens collecting shelf dust must have scared HT and probably some less than happy feedback from distributors about the quantity they have leftover. I would love to have a Krennic figure as his white outfit and cape would be beautiful on display.

Obviously when they hit the right notes with pieces like Vader, any stormtrooper and now the snowtroopers the collectors are gobbling them up. They could continue releasing the safe characters for a bit to wash away all of the leftovers from TFA.

We do need to remember that almost all of the OT line got re-releases and so they have been slower to sell out. I would wager the main OT figures were some very high volume figures. Obi-wan, Han and Chewey seemed to be produced in the millions, lol just kidding.

In my opinion Coulson and Hill were timing for HT since they didn't have the Star Wars or big Disney contract in place at that time and they were trying to feed the Marvel money machine they knew that was developing before them. Now with the expanded Disney lines they have much more selection and also probably direction from the licensing on what figures they are allowed or told to produce. I would love to see a Tarkin and any of the amazing Cantina aliens made, just don't know if they can be pushed given their niche appeal but like you said anything Star Wars could be a seller if made properly.

Whereas the ship has sailed on TFA, I think we still have time for R1 characters.

Unless Baze is a con exclusive and the remaining troopers scraped, they still have teasers for the line to continue. As a result, I have hope for a wave 2 set from the film to include Cassian and Krennic.

That said, if nothing new at summer cons (mostly SDCC -SW bigger here than Asia) then I won't expect further announcements.

Without Cassian, I don't need the other heroes so those PO will be cancelled. I'd keep K2 in the mix and add him to the villains set from the film and return to collecting OT figs.

I thought Jack B mentioned should be getting prequel love soon which depending on characters I may be interested.

The issue of TFA sales has been brought up before but unless we can take a peek at some spreadsheets I don't think we can ever know how well it sold. For all we know TFA could be the best selling SW line out there, it just had a (much) larger production run. RO seemed scaled back and sold out fairly quickly on some pieces. it will be interesting to see what the demand for TLJ is.

It was TFA that brought me into HT, if that means anything.

The issue of TFA sales has been brought up before but unless we can take a peek at some spreadsheets I don't think we can ever know how well it sold. For all we know TFA could be the best selling SW line out there, it just had a (much) larger production run. RO seemed scaled back and sold out fairly quickly on some pieces. it will be interesting to see what the demand for TLJ is.

It was TFA that brought me into HT, if that means anything.

If any distributor continues to have the full line in stock (double digit pieces available for each) which I can see several perusing the internet it did not sell well. Of course Hot Toys made their money but the distributors are left with the bag to sell the remaining inventory. We can factually state that for most distributors and re-sellers, they did not make the full potential of what the MSRP or suggested retail pricing was for the line in expected profits. In the business world for a product line launch that is not a success but needles more towards failure.

Understandable that it holds a special place for you and presumably you bought a bunch of figures in the line which instinctively you would want to defend your purchases.

When speaking of success in terms of value and brand, if you tried to sell any of the TFA figures now there would be significant financial loss. Which again is damaging for a line and this has carried through to the stagnation of larger number of SW character offerings in my opinion by HT recently.

Full disclosure: I purchased just one TFA Figure in the entire line, the very first one offered. TRU Exclusive Stormtrooper with the glossy stand that was a China promo. Might pick up Ren eventually when I find him under $150.

Oh no no it is nothing to do with me "defending my purchases" haha, whatever that means. I'm not defending HT here nor am I that emotionally invested in their product enough to think such a silly thing.

I also don't care what the secondary market means in relation to the value of my collection, that's not why I collect. I'm also unsure if any of us are in a position to define what "success" means for HT.

Oh no no it is nothing to do with me "defending my purchases" haha, whatever that means. I'm not defending HT here nor am I that emotionally invested in their product enough to think such a silly thing.

I also don't care what the secondary market means in relation to the value of my collection, that's not why I collect. I'm also unsure if any of us are in a position to define what "success" means for HT.

You can actually define success quite easily for Hot Toys, they are a manufacturer and they make toy goods. When distributors and re-sellers do not buy products at their estimated volumes they are unsuccessful. The less figures they sell, the less operating income and their business model suffers. At the end of the day, HT makes how many ever figures there are for demand and a few more units to help with supply chain and product replacements.

If distributors continuously are unable to move said goods and stop buying the products because of the fear of dead stock inventory and have to fire sell product, Hot Toys is unsuccessful. They would rather have revolving floor space and get goods that sell out the door. When that happens HT becomes unsuccessful, as they will incur shrinkage in orders and fulfillment volumes go down as does future profits.

Sideshow was giving away the TFA FO figures through site promotions and - in some rare instances - in person at conventions.

I think it's safe to say they probably overproduced those figures, especially considering what appear to be smaller runs of RO troopers.

Merchandise for TFA also feels like it hasn't had the same staying power overall after the initial flurry of excitement. We'll see how things go as the sequel trilogy progresses. But I think OT will always remain the safest bet as far as merchandise goes.

Sideshow was giving away the TFA FO figures through site promotions and - in some rare instances - in person at conventions.

I think it's safe to say they probably overproduced those figures, especially considering what appear to be smaller runs of RO troopers.

Merchandise for TFA also feels like it hasn't had the same staying power overall after the initial flurry of excitement. We'll see how things go as the sequel trilogy progresses. But I think OT will always remain the safest bet as far as merchandise goes.

Sideshow was also randomly mailing out OT Spacetroopers a few months ago for free.

Unless the trooper design has changed considerably in TLJ, HT is going to experience the exact same problem. Unless of course they produce next to nothing.

Back