What movies have the BEST endings!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sorry for those who have mentioned this, but the ending to Saving Private Ryan is one of the WORST endings of all time. I love Spielberg, but he always has to wuss out at the end of (most of) his movies with that feelgood BS. With the exception of the war scenes, most of the movie was just as crappy. Seriously, if you were tasked to bring this man home, have lost soldiers along the way, finally find him and he will not come, bonk the bastard on the head and drag him out. Because of private Ryan, a ton of people died who did not have to.

Anywhoo, my favorite endings are:

Halloween
The Blair Witch Project
Psycho
Chinatown
Memento

No one mentioned "Planet of the Apes"?

Heston and Lady Liberty... Iconic! One of the most powerful endings in movie history.

I'm sorry for those who have mentioned this, but the ending to Saving Private Ryan is one of the WORST endings of all time. I love Spielberg, but he always has to wuss out at the end of (most of) his movies with that feelgood BS. With the exception of the war scenes, most of the movie was just as crappy. Seriously, if you were tasked to bring this man home, have lost soldiers along the way, finally find him and he will not come, bonk the bastard on the head and drag him out. Because of private Ryan, a ton of people died who did not have to.

:google :google :google

No offense, but that is the most simplistic and childish view of Saving Private Ryan I have ever heard. "Bonk the bastard on the head and drag him out", :slap

No offense, but that is the most simplistic and childish view of Saving Private Ryan I have ever heard. "Bonk the bastard on the head and drag him out", :slap

None taken. It's really that simple though. In the military, you follow orders, end of story. Obviously, you can't bonk someone on the head and drag them out...however, disobeying an order from a superior seems farther fetched than my bonking scenario.

More proof that SPR blows goats - In the beginning, the movie fades from the old dude in the graveyard straight to Tom Hanks, who are not the same character. That's just lame.

More proof that SPR blows goats - In the beginning, the movie fades from the old dude in the graveyard straight to Tom Hanks, who are not the same character. That's just lame.

Blows goats :rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

We'll agree to disagree :duff

Empire strikes back---The Falcon flying off, the rebellion on the ropes but there was still that air of hope that the good guys would prevail.

'Nuff said. Not to mention that one of the greatest sci-fi heroes of our time was presumed dead for three years after.

Easily in my top 5 endings.

No one mentioned "Planet of the Apes"?

Heston and Lady Liberty... Iconic! One of the most powerful endings in movie history.

Ahem! First one on the list. ;)

Planet of the Apes

The Maltese Falcon

The Searchers

Raiders of the Lost Ark

John Carpenter's The Thing

Bubba Ho-Tep

Blade Runner (Final Cut)

Psycho

Night of the Living Dead

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Yojimbo

Throne of Blood

I actually enjoyed the fact that it wasn't completely spelled out for the audience, but different strokes I suppose.

Yeah- I'd definitely have to add POTA to the list...

But after my Usual Suspects, Shawshank and I am w/ Blake on Chinatown.

How could I've forgotten that insane Chinatown ending?!
That is def a flick for you youngsters to check out! :whip

Shinder's List is epic.

Shoot 'Em Up is badass, as is Planet Terror.

I liked Death Proof's ending...but not many people share the same opinion...heh/

I gotta agree with King here. Private Ryan finds out he just lost his brothers and he should be expected to just leave his unit to fight without him? If that had happened or Tom Hanks "Bonked the bastard on the head" and left would have been an epic cinematic failure worthy of Uwe Boll.

My issue with the ending to Private Ryan is the extremely unlikely reappearance of the German soldier Miller let go earlier.

My issue with the beginning of SPR is that we begin by watching an unknown character flash back to a story that he is completely absent from until the last third. It should have been Burns character remembering. Yeah, I know it's called Private Ryan, but just because you're a title character that doesn't make you omniscient.

Other than those two nitpicks, love it. One of those that I can't turn off if I stumble on it while flipping.

JAWS. Definately. No comparison to the last ten minutes of that one for me ever.
Shawshank is a superb ending.
Usual Suspects is superb.
The Prestige. (Last damn shot!)
The Illusionist.
Planet of the Apes (hard to top).
King Kong (original)
2001 A Space Odyssey (last bit is movie history)
The Crow
Star Trek II Wrath of Khan (Spock death)
ALIEN/ALIENS (tied for me ending wise)
Raiders (opening of the Ark)
Return of the King (entire final battle)
Frankenstein (1931) Love the mill ending
Highlander (Duel with Kurgan and whole getting of the prize bit)
Nosferatu (he vaporizes in the sunlight)

But my second favorite ending ever...

SANJURO, sequel to Yojimbo. At the end of the movie, dude won't leave Toshiro Mifune alone. Pushes for a duel. They stand, They stand, they stand, single rapid slashing sword movement across dude's gut, serious gut spray from hell. THAT DUDE DIES! :rock That's how you end a movie.

Too many more to name.

Back