what "modern" western do you like best

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Favorite Modern Western

• Unforgiven

Votes: 20 32.8%
  • Django Unchained

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Tombstone

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • The Proposition

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Wyatt Earp

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Open Range

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • 3:10 to Yuma (remake)

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • True Grit (remake)

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Dances with Wolves

Votes: 3 4.9%

• Total voters
I love the Coen's remake of True Grit, and several of those are quite good, but only one is a bona fide all time great western in my eyes, and that's Unforgiven. Up there with the work of Ford, Leone, and Peckinpah. The next best film is a distant second.

This post sums it up pretty much perfectly. :exactly: :goodpost: :exactly: :goodpost:

I didn't want to vote for this one:

220px-Unforgiven60.jpg

So I edited the poll and voted for this one:

220px-Unforgiven_2.jpg

No love for Appaloosa?

I have seen all of the movies on the list. 3:10 is probably my least favorite. Appaloosa and Open Range are probably my favorites.

Has anyone seen the Japanese remake Unforgiven trailer?

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzXbJtt406U[/ame]

Unforgiven by a landslide, for me. Loved how Eastwood demonstrated how bittersweet it was being the best-of-the-best as an old man, with lots to regret. A beautiful film. Can't imagine much will ever compare.

Ah crap I voted but I forgot about Appaloosa. Such an underrated film. Almost nobody knows about it. Anyway I voted for 3:10 to Yuma because I really enjoyed it and forgive me but I can't really remember unforgiven. Anyway, I'm writing a western novel. Here's hoping one day we add it to this list

All good choices above. I have to throw in the recent History Channel Costner-Paxton miniseries Hatfields And McCoys. Even though it wasn't released theatrically, it certainly could have been.

Back